The Grad School Rejects Lonely Hearts Band

anthcat

So it's official now, although I sensed it a couple of weeks ago. I have been rejected by all 9 of the programs that I applied to.

Anybody else find themselves in the same situation?

I got kicked in the gut in Anthropology - 4 applications; 4 rejections. Some people have, from the Grad Cafe, been messaging me on my blog, saying that my expressive/insane nature and overuse Grad Cafe is to blame for my rejections in this process.

I, on the other hand, I think it had everything to do with my application selection [i.e. what schools I picked to apply to]. No, the daydreams of being watched or fear that somehow someone will find out our names and cross us off the list because we blog or use grad cafe we will be doomed is not what I blame here.

For me, it was all a shot in the dark at those schools and the most probable outcome happened.

My last two applications are still out and are way better suited for me anyway. If not, it's not the first time I've been skunked - and probably won't be the last. However, I will add, there's no better time to feel like crap than right this split second.

Edit: Random errors.

After months and months and months of knowing nothing, I got my first response of ANY kind--a rejection, via email. Very terse and impersonal--paper copy is said to be following.

Luckily, I wasn't too jumped up on going there; it hurts, but not like I thought it might. I feel this weird calm.

One school left; the one I really was hoping for. I can't help thinking it's going to be the same thing.

I'm still waiting on two, but at this stage of the game it can't be good news.

I knew, going in, that I'd be a stronger applicant if I waited a year. But I managed to convince myself that my brilliance would be apparent anyway. Plus, I'm generally impatient.

Certainly wasn't expecting 100% rejection.

Seriously?! That's awful!

I'm guessing they said rude/inappropriate things, but admissions committees (at some schools) do web searches of applicants, so it's possible that they could come across someone's blog/postings and that content could sway their opinion of the applicant. I'm not saying that happened to you, certainly, just that it's not outside of the realm of possibility.

Seriously?! That's awful!

Yes and yes.

I'm guessing they said rude/inappropriate things, but admissions committees (at some schools) do web searches of applicants, so it's possible that they could come across someone's blog/postings and that content could sway their opinion of the applicant. I'm not saying that happened to you, certainly, just that it's not outside of the realm of possibility.

Oh, I totally gather the possibility. But anybody assuming that the internet is a reliable source to base on applicant searches is ridiculous. If admissions committees base their decisions on a Google search or a blog, I wouldn't want to go there anyway. Hell, the work I've done within the Adult Entertainment industry would screw me (and no, I'm not in anyone's favorite video, just so you all know - I'm a behind the scenes gal).

I'm not saying not to trust people on here but very little here is vetted. And whose to say you have the right person or not an impostor? I've garnered myself with a decent amount of anonymity, I believe.

-------------------

Back on topic - The possibility I will be rejected across the board is great. However, my advisor did call my top choice, which is still in the running. Maybe?

If not, I'll join you all in a toast to what it means to be a total Graduate School Reject...

I hear you...that was me last year (well, 0 for 4, but still). And, there's a non-zero chance that will be me again this year.

Sorry it sucks so bad. =(

I'm bummed I didn't get in anywhere (really, really bummed), but I'm going to work hard at improving my applications next year and probably add a few MA programs in the mix too.

Good luck with your last application! I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Last year I applied to 6 schools, and I received 6 rejections.

This year, I've applied to 8 schools and have heard back from 3 so far (3 rejections), but remaining optimsitic.

But what I wanted to stress, and maybe serve as a source of motivation (rather than depression or the likes of anything related), life does not end! Take the next year to beef up your academic resume with additional classes, research/intern/work experiences, etc. And don't give up on your goal because you will eventually get there, I wish you all the best.

Last year I applied to 6 schools, and I received 6 rejections.

This year, I've applied to 8 schools and have heard back from 3 so far (3 rejections), but remaining optimsitic.

But what I wanted to stress, and maybe serve as a source of motivation (rather than depression or the likes of anything related), life does not end! Take the next year to beef up your academic resume with additional classes, research/intern/work experiences, etc. And don't give up on your goal because you will eventually get there, I wish you all the best.

Good advice here.

Getting a MA/MS/M(whatever) degree will most certainly bolster your application for a PhD. This is especially true if you also do some research assistant work as a student or if you work as a professional research assistant (full-time).

Too many folks are too eager to enter into the PhD fold way too soon--take rejections as a way to develop your ideas more to express them more eloquently and completely in your future personal statement.