SOP structure and word limit

I apologize for posting so much, but hopefully the questions I ask will help others....

Is it ok to go over the word limit? I have gone through all of the threads (in my field) discussing the statement of purpose and it seems that adcoms are not too strict about this (for example, one applicant gave Georgetown a 1900 word SOP despite the 500 suggested word limit and got in). I realize that one should not go over the word limit if you have nothing interesting to say, but I am just having difficulty including everything in 500 words (as I am sure everyone does)...

My current SOP structure is the following and I have approximately 2 pages single spaced:

1. Intro

2. past research 

3. different past research project

4. paragraph that links past research to new proposed area of study (well sort of. It explains why I took a slightly different direction in my MA thesis, but how this led to discovery x, which will allow me to return to the type of research I did in the past).

5. new research 

6. new research

7. fit paragraph/conclusion

*note - I tried demonstrating "fit" throughout the SOP. 

I personally do not think it is ok to go over the word limit.  When you consider how many apps adcoms have to read and how finicky they can be I would not want to be the straw that broke the camels back and get my app tossed out entirely.  Yes it is hard to say everything you want to say in 500 words, but not doing so indicates that you have trouble following directions or just don't care.  Not a good impression.  I think people like that Georgetown person may be rare.

Do your programs require a CV as part of the application?  If so have you noticed that there isn't a maximum length for that?  As soon as I figured that out I took full advantage.  Instead of detailing past research experience in my SOP I put all of that on my CV.  That way I could focus on new research, how that relates to my research interests, and how that all connects to professors I want to work with and my career path.

If I may make a suggestion based on the brief outline you've proposed?  You can use it or not use it, just something to consider.

1. Intro

Do not drone on here.  Get to the point.

2. past research  put this on CV

3. different past research project put this on CV

4. paragraph that links past research to new proposed area of study (well sort of. It explains why I took a slightly different direction in my MA thesis, but how this led to discovery x, which will allow me to return to the type of research I did in the past).  Work this into the intro so it also acts as a nice transition to what is coming next.

5. new research 

6. new research

Is it absolutely necessary to talk about both new research projects to get your point across?  If not then detail both on your CV and pick one to discuss here.

7. fit paragraph/conclusion

*note - I tried demonstrating "fit" throughout the SOP.

I personally do not think it is ok to go over the word limit. 

+1

MsDarjeeling gave you some great advice here. I would not allow your SOP to be guided by the Georgetown anecdote.

Adcomms structure the process so that everyone gets a fair shake. When you go over, you are flouting that attempt at fairness and demanding more time from the committee. This also goes for messing wih the margins, font, or punctuation size.

When I was on an adcomm, we didn't toss people that grossly exceeded word limits, but it was irritating. Why would you want someone to be irritated whilst reading your app?

A colleague referred to these applicants as FAFSIs (Fail At Following Simple Instructions).

Don't be a FAFSI.

Your academic life will include lots of performing in tiny spaces that you feel won't do justice to your ideas (abstracts, grant apps ect;). It's not a bad strategy to hone persuasive and concise academic writing now.

Good luck!