Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014

RetJitter

If I recall correctly, one person here received an invite to interview at MIT and had expressed interest in only the cellular and molecular track. But from previous years' results, I expect that the majority of invitations will be sent out either late this week or next week. The interview seems to be the weekend of 3/7.

As a side note, it appears that you and I will bump into each other quite a bit this season. 

Thanks! Hope there will be some more invites. I am applying through systems/computation track.

That's true. lol I am still thinking how to coordinate my interview dates since many of them are conflicting with each other...

Thanks! Hope there will be some more invites. I am applying through systems/computation track.

That's true. lol I am still thinking how to coordinate my interview dates since many of them are conflicting with each other...

Same here; I listed systems as my primary interest and computation as my secondary. I feel we can reserve our apprehension for just a bit longer.

Also, sorry to hear about the conflicts. There is a great deal of good advice about resolving them on these forums. But I hope to see you in Boston, Princeton, Baltimore, and (possibly!) Cambridge. Good luck!

May I ask how you are scheduling your Harvard/Princeton/Columbia interviews? I am having the same problem :(

Got an interview invitation to Ohio State's neuroscience graduate studies program! I'm over the moon. Their interview dates are January 8-10 or January 15-17. I took the later date because of work conflicts.

I haven't decided yet.  :unsure:

Sounds like a question worth posing to the Harvard PiN fb group. I'm guessing that current students and fellow interviewees have faced and resolved similar, if not identical, trilemmas.

The first one, I'm really hoping to get an interview at Stanford which is feb 26-3/2 or something like that so i wanted to space things out. Same with UCSF (which I see you got an invite to as well)! We may get to know each other fairly well this season if we choose the same dates!

Indeed! Although, I applied to the UCSF BMS program, not the neuro program, because I haven't yet decided whether I'll end up in a neuro or bioinformatics lab. Can't agree more about spacing things out. My schools are all in California like yours, except I live in Maryland, so I'm looking at at least 10 cross-country flights in 6 weeks already.

Althonse & uberneuron, which Berkeley interview did you take?

Indeed! Although, I applied to the UCSF BMS program, not the neuro program, because I haven't yet decided whether I'll end up in a neuro or bioinformatics lab. Can't agree more about spacing things out. My schools are all in California like yours, except I live in Maryland, so I'm looking at at least 10 cross-country flights in 6 weeks already.

Althonse & uberneuron, which Berkeley interview did you take?

For Berkeley, I am going to take the second one (late Feb).

For Columbia/NYU/Princeton, I am asking whether it is possible to schedule one on Wed, one on Thu, and the other on Fri. They haven't replied me back yet. If not, I probably will give up one.

I called to ask MIT today, they haven't finished reviewing the applications.

Hi all,

I am getting a little worried for myself, as it seems that a number of you have heard back from schools already for interviews. I applied to 10 schools and haven't heard back aside from a rejection from UCSF. I applied to the schools basically on the deadline date so I'm worried if this has any impact on when they review. Does anyone know if schools send all interview noticed out at the same time? Also, how were you guys notified?

Thanks a lot and congrats to everyone who's started hearing back!!

Edited by dare2lare

Hi all,

I am getting a little worried for myself, as it seems that a number of you have heard back from schools already for interviews. I applied to 10 schools and haven't heard back aside from a rejection from UCSF. I applied to the schools basically on the deadline date so I'm worried if this has any impact on when they review. Does anyone know if schools send all interview noticed out at the same time? Also, how were you guys notified?

Unfortunately most schools do not send out rejections until after interviews. A lot of the schools you applied to are discussed in this thread, most do only send one wave out. This was one of the hardest parts for me last year.

Just spoke to a person at Duke (Neurobio), she said the first round of interviews are (were) out - Domestic and Int'l.

They'll meet again on 1/13 to decide who gets on the second round. Good luck to all. 

------

Applying: Duke, OSU, Cold Harbor, UTDallas

Unfortunately most schools do not send out rejections until after interviews. A lot of the schools you applied to are discussed in this thread, most do only send one wave out. This was one of the hardest parts for me last year.

Hmm...doesn't sounds great for me but I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed and wait it out! When did you guys submit your apps? If things don't work out for me this time, should I plan to submit early next cycle (I submitted on the deadline date for basically every program)?

I feel like I'm fairly qualified (3.74 cumulative from UC Berkeley, ~2 years research experience in undergrad and ~2 years work experience postgrad in neuroimaging lab @ UCSF, 2 publications, OK GREs), so I'll try to make everything even better next time around....maybe retake GREs and submit early? Does anyone have any other advice for a hopeful?

Congrats all!

Thanks, dude! Here's to hoping!

Just spoke to a person at Duke (Neurobio), she said the first round of interviews are (were) out - Domestic and Int'l.

They'll meet again on 1/13 to decide who gets on the second round. Good luck to all. 

edited to make the quote not seem ridiculously long...

Edited by thebigbang

Hmm...doesn't sounds great for me but I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed and wait it out! When did you guys submit your apps? If things don't work out for me this time, should I plan to submit early next cycle (I submitted on the deadline date for basically every program)?

I feel like I'm fairly qualified (3.74 cumulative from UC Berkeley, ~2 years research experience in undergrad and ~2 years work experience postgrad in neuroimaging lab @ UCSF, 2 publications, OK GREs), so I'll try to make everything even better next time around....maybe retake GREs and submit early? Does anyone have any other advice for a hopeful?

Congrats all!

I don't think when you apply matters. I did this all last year and definitely waited til the last minute for all of them. Didnt get in everywhere but some decent places. Your stats sound good, so maybe your essay/recs didnt stand out? Id put most effort into those. 

Hi all,

good luck! harvard is done with invites, as is university of washington i believe? MIT and columbia are still going through applications though, so don't give up just yet?

also expanded MIT interview/tour dates: mar 6-8.

With the storm and all I wouldn't expect to hear anything from MIT until Monday.

That's a fair point. Man, I wonder why the BCS department's invitations are so sporadic, or at least seem to be.

MIT's now my lone question mark (informally rejected by Rutgers courtesy of my own PI :lol:).

Got my first set rejections from Washington University in St. Louis (WashU), Duke (Cog Neuro- it seems they take only 5 students every year), Harvard, JHU (assumed). Is there any one else with no interview invites as of now?

I guess the main reason was because I dint have a full time work experience (though I will have ~2.5 research experience in my Undergrad). I am starting to think of alternative options, so any general advice. 

On 1/3/2014 at 6:25 AM, neuroPravin said:

Got my first set rejections from Washington University in St. Louis (WashU), Duke (Cog Neuro- it seems they take only 5 students every year), Harvard, JHU (assumed). Is there any one else with no interview invites as of now?

I guess the main reason was because I dint have a full time work experience (though I will have ~2.5 research experience in my Undergrad). I am starting to think of alternative options, so any general advice. 

There are some (but not many) neuroscience masters programs that have later application dates. I've considered that as a contingency plan if I'm not accepted anywhere. Northwestern University has a year-long masters program with an application deadline sometime in March. If I'm not accepted anywhere by late Feb, I may submit an app there.

Got my first set rejections from Washington University St. Louis, Duke (Cog Neuro- it seems they take only 5 students every year), Harvard, JHU (assumed). Is there any one else with no interview invites as of now?

I am also applying to UT Dallas and I don't think they've sent out their interviews yet. I have couple of friends ( one who has near-perfect scores) that are also applying to UT Dallas - and nothing yet. Hang in there!