Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014

RetJitter

Yeah, I'm curious about UCLA as well :( , it looks like in past years they sent out interviews this week.

Also, does anyone know if NYU has sent out anything for the CNS (neural science) program (not the neuroscience & physiology program)?

Thanks!

I heard back from the Neural Science program for an interview in late December, for what it's worth.  Interview dates are late January / early February.

I heard back from the Neural Science program for an interview in late December, for what it's worth.  Interview dates are late January / early February.

Thanks for the reply, congrats!! Hope they're still going to send some more out. When did you submit your application btw?

It seems like a lot of schools are sending out interviews earlier than previous years, anyone know why?

has anyone heard back from ucsf about booking tickets and stuff?

I went ahead and bought my flight when they confirmed my weekend, I haven't heard anything else from them.

No clue but they had us fill a questionnaire by next Friday. Maybe if there are sill spots left then they will send more invites out afterward.

Thanks!  That's what I thought because when I emailed them to ask when invites would be sent out earlier this week they said in the next week or two.  So hopefully they'll be a few more invites to come!

Did anyone here apply to Caltech's Neurobiology program? The website indicates that it's a pretty new program. Historically I think that people usually apply to their Computation & Neural Systems program, but I was afraid that I lacked the computational background for that.

Have you heard anything from Caltech yet?

May I ask how you are scheduling your Harvard/Princeton/Columbia interviews? I am having the same problem :(

I am wondering how you coordinated the interviews. Princeton faculty told me it will not be the same if I chose Skype interview or other dates instead of the original arranged interview date, it will not be the same for both Princeton and me. Columbia hasn't replied me back yet. 

I am wondering how you coordinated the interviews. Princeton faculty told me it will not be the same if I chose Skype interview or other dates instead of the original arranged interview date, it will not be the same for both Princeton and me. Columbia hasn't replied me back yet. 

Yeah, it really sucks that they're doing this. I believe I will be going to Harvard and Princeton's normal dates, and asking Columbia to reschedule. Alla seemed to think it wouldn't be a problem, though I haven't heard anything back yet.

Anyone who got Stanford invites via phone on here? Were they formal invitations or is there still hope of getting a mass email later?

I got a voicemail/email from a specific professor on the admissions comittee. When I called back and spoke him he told me that the formal invites had been sent out via mail today. So there's still some luck!

The professor who invited me to interview at Yale had the coolest string of characters preceding his signature:

~~~|~~|~~~~~|~~~|~|~|~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~

It took me a solid minute to figure out what it was supposed to illustrate. Then I wished I'd thought of it first!

Thought you guys might appreciate a bit of levity in the midst of all this tense waiting.

The professor who invited me to interview at Yale had the coolest string of characters preceding his signature:

~~~|~~|~~~~~|~~~|~|~|~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~

It took me a solid minute to figure out what it was supposed to illustrate. Then I wished I'd thought of it first!

Not a neuro person but is it supposed to be an axon and nodes of ranvier?

Not a neuro person but is it supposed to be an axon and nodes of ranvier?

It's a series of action potentials (a spike train), as might be recorded by a microelectrode positioned in the extracellular space immediately adjacent to one or more neurons. Like so:

spike-train.gif

It's a series of action potentials (a spike train), as might be recorded by a microelectrode positioned in the extracellular space immediately adjacent to one or more neurons. Like so:

spike-train.gif

That totally makes sense. Lol Intro to Neuro was sooo long ago. I can't believe I forgot all of it.