Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014

RetJitter

Caltech Neurobiology communicated recruitment invites today through skype!!

what do you mean? 

The department held interviews through skype or Google hangout last week, and then video chatted some interviewees yesterday (Jan 25th) to invite them to visit the campus and faculty. I don't know the exact dates yet. By recruitment, I mean to say they offered an unofficial acceptance :)). I am not sure if all interviewees should have heard back friday though :/  

I wish you the best of luck

Pitt started sending out interview invites way back in December. They have several interview weekends, starting next week and going through February. Applicants were given their choice of dates. I have no idea if they are planning on inviting more people or not.

Many thanks for letting me know. I'm getting increasingly worried.

Does anybody know what happened with last year's NYU Neuro&Phys rejection massacre? People said that there were over 950 applicants for 35 spots, but do we know if there was a similarly low number of interview invitations? Were people rejected post-interview? Anybody still here from last year?

Just curious--but for those going to next week's Emory neuroscience interview that received their itinerary today, how many faculty are you interviewing with?

I believe all should be interviewing with 6. That's what I did. Hope that helps

Does anybody know what happened with last year's NYU Neuro&Phys rejection massacre? People said that there were over 950 applicants for 35 spots, but do we know if there was a similarly low number of interview invitations? Were people rejected post-interview? Anybody still here from last year?

Not sure, but I imagine they interviewed a bit more than they could take. It looks like they sent out a big wave of rejections this time around. I haven't heard anything from them (reject or invite) so I'm not sure what that means.

Not sure, but I imagine they interviewed a bit more than they could take. It looks like they sent out a big wave of rejections this time around. I haven't heard anything from them (reject or invite) so I'm not sure what that means.

I'm in the same boat. I haven't heard anything either way. Maybe, early February will bring some news? (Hopefully, good) 

A bit late to the game- just discovered this forum! Is it strange that I am quite excited about this?

I was wondering, are your chances of acceptance worse if you are asked to interview for the second interview weekends rather than the first? Or are the invites sent out more so based on when the applications were turned in? I'm asking specifically for UPenn, UCI and UCLA. Thanks!

What program are you applying to at UCI? The Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program, for example, only has one interview weekend. 

Hi guys,

Anybody applied to UCL-gatsby unit? I called them yesterday and left a message asking my admission status. They sent me back an email with a rejection-slap(ouch). Here goes my dream to travel to London for free.

Hi guys,

Anybody applied to UCL-gatsby unit? I called them yesterday and left a message asking my admission status. They sent me back an email with a rejection-slap(ouch). Here goes my dream to travel to London for free.

If it makes you feel any better, UK schools don't pay for your interview visit.  Had to pay everything on my own when was invited for interview in Cambridge (as an undergraduate appicant).  Also, their requirements for funded international (non-UK) students are extremely high, since (with a very few exceptions) their Research Council does not pay for international students and private funding at UCL is very limited.

In case anyone was wondering about USC interview invites, I called on Thursday to inquire. They said they are still in the process of sending them out to domestic students and not to worry yet.

Bleh. Given that you posted this 4 days ago with information from the previous week, I guess I should start bracing myself for that rejection notification.

Aaah guys I just needed to say that I got my interview schedule for UVA next week and I'm interviewing with Iggy Provencio!! Woot!

On a different note, they also put me with my current PI. Has this ever happened to anyone before? What is that going to be like since we already know each other and my research?? O.o

Bleh. Given that you posted this 4 days ago with information from the previous week, I guess I should start bracing myself for that rejection notification.

I called again today and was told that no final decisions have been made. However, I'm guessing that I should also brace for a rejection letter.

I called again today and was told that no final decisions have been made. However, I'm guessing that I should also brace for a rejection letter.

I received an email today from USC saying that they finished reviewing my application and need official transcripts "in order to proceed" (which I did send back when they were due...). Anyway, hopefully they're not making me spend $$ with rush delivery in order for them to "proceed" in rejecting me. Who knows - but I wouldn't give up hope yet.

I received an email today from USC saying that they finished reviewing my application and need official transcripts "in order to proceed" (which I did send back when they were due...). Anyway, hopefully they're not making me spend $$ with rush delivery in order for them to "proceed" in rejecting me. Who knows - but I wouldn't give up hope yet.

I got the same one and left a message at the program office. Glad to know I wasn't the only one at least haha.. Definitely went through the whole spend $$/rejection thought process too lol

I have a friend who received a similar email from USC a couple of days but for a different program....