Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014

RetJitter

Hello friends.

Reading through these posts has made me keenly aware of how lucky I am to have a Ph.D. acceptance under my belt (1 acceptance at backup school, 1 upcoming interview, 3 rejections, 3 unknown). Although I am interviewing at my dream school next month, I am preemptively questioning whether or not to accept at the backup school if I don't get into my dream school. Thoughts? I'm coming straight out of undergrad, and it sounds to me like a lot of people apply apply apply and would be grateful to go anywhere. Am I selfish to choose not to go to graduate school at a backup school?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

I got an email from UNO that they are still reviewing applications and will make decisions by March 15th. So i'm guessing no interviews? It seemed like a standard generic email sent to all applicants (or applicants in consideration). 

West Virginia's interview weekend is this weekend. 

And to speak to your frustrations.. I understand, and it happens. Grad schools are getting more and more competitive and applicants with good credentials don't make the cuts. Technically, this is my third time applying as I went to a Master's program the first time, didn't get in anywhere the second time, not even interviews (with a Master's degree!), but this time it is finally going really well. Just be patient and persistent and try not to take it personally. 

I thought this is the post that I posted unconsciously..hey, your situation is 'exactly' the same situation with mine. First time I applied Ph.D, accepted as a master program, no luck for the second chance, and this is my third time and looks better! I feel you man, I feel you...

That makes me feel better... I've been worried about being that "old" chick with a bunch of straight-from-undergrads as my classmates. Having a Masters PLUS working as a lab tech after that, it's been.. a while... since I was an undergrad  ^_^

Hell if anything, I felt young at all these interviews.

Has anyone gone to the earlier Northwestern interviews last month? Is anyone going to the upcoming one next week?

It's my first interview, so any advice apart from what's already been shared would be appreciated! I've heard that you need to be able to talk about your research well and know a little about the people you might interview with, but I'm not sure what more I can prepare for...

Thanks for all the tips! I had three professors that I work closely with review my personal statement, CV, and other application materials. Unfortunately, I do not have any publications under my belt yet (ouch). However, I am going to be submitting a behavioral pharmacological rat manuscript this spring for publication. In my personal statement, I mainly tried to highlight my research and neuropsych internship, which I was hoping would give me a leg up. The programs that I politely asked for ways to improve my app have just given me very generic things like "we had a very competitive pool" type answers. I think that my GRE scores have been my biggest dent in my application. I didn't do terrible, but not very good.

4 down, 8 to hear from yet! I guess I shouldn't be writing off getting into grad school just yet.  

Good luck and congrats to the rest of you going through this crazy thing called grad school apps! Try to keep your sanity. 

However, I am going to be submitting a behavioral pharmacological rat manuscript this spring for publication. I think that my GRE scores have been my biggest dent in my application. I didn't do terrible, but not very good.

You're in great shape for next year then. A publication will help a ton and GRE scores are definitely something you can improve. Good luck!

Edited by thegirldetective

Thanks for all the tips! I had three professors that I work closely with review my personal statement, CV, and other application materials. Unfortunately, I do not have any publications under my belt yet (ouch). However, I am going to be submitting a behavioral pharmacological rat manuscript this spring for publication. In my personal statement, I mainly tried to highlight my research and neuropsych internship, which I was hoping would give me a leg up. The programs that I politely asked for ways to improve my app have just given me very generic things like "we had a very competitive pool" type answers. I think that my GRE scores have been my biggest dent in my application. I didn't do terrible, but not very good.

4 down, 8 to hear from yet! I guess I shouldn't be writing off getting into grad school just yet.  

Good luck and congrats to the rest of you going through this crazy thing called grad school apps! Try to keep your sanity. 

My friend didn't hear anything last year for any schools and around April he got a call for the PI of choice at UT Dallas and was accepted the next day. Keep your head up! Anything can happen! 

How is everyone making decisions on which school to accept? I don't have a dream school.  All the places I applied I equally liked their research and their programs.  Is it okay to make the decision based off where I would rather live for 5 years?

All other things being (mostly) equal, it's totally fine to factor in where you'd like to live into your decision. How can you possibly be productive if you're unhappy with your location?

NYU's Neuro decisions should be out by the 20th..... I'm freakin'! All of my dreams have been about admissions lately. 

Where did you hear that? I read elsewhere they send out decisions in March. Nervous, cause they're one of my top choices.

Edited by simondsaid

Where did you hear that? I read elsewhere they send out decisions in March. Nervous, cause they're one of my top choices.

That's what they told us at the interview. I'm pretty sure there's a second wave of decisions after that, as well, once people accept and reject offers.

That's what they told us at the interview. I'm pretty sure there's a second wave of decisions after that, as well, once people accept and reject offers.

I was also told neuro would send out decisions on February 19th/February 20th. I believe other programs in Sackler will send their acceptances/rejections out in March.

Hi everyone,

First off let me apologize, because I have a feeling this is going to be long. I was just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me. I applied to 12 Neuroscience Ph.D programs, and I have received only rejections (4) thus far, and no interviews. On a side note I am finishing up my B.S. in psychology with a biology minor. Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect to get all kinds of acceptances, but I did have some hopes that I would get at least some interviews (or one interview?). I understand that I still have eight to hear from, but it's pretty discouraging when your top choices don't give you a second glance. Hey, even being wait listed would make me happy.

I am not meaning to sound whiny or self-entitled, but it is a little frustrating when you've done everything possible to have a strong application and it gets rejected. I have a fairly high GPA, two years of research experience, two years of teaching assisting, great letters of recommendation, a neuropsychology internship, inpatient rehabilitation volunteering, EMT training, an officer for an honor society, a paid job editing APA papers, and other things that I thought would make me a strong applicant. Also, I am not applying to all top tier schools, I applied to only a few that are top tier. Anyone else feel like this?

Anyhow, has anyone heard anything from West Virginia, Nebraska-Omaha, Nebraska-Lincoln, Rutgers, UT Dallas, Colorado Boulder, Colorado State, or Texas A&M? I noticed not too many people talk about these programs on here but I figured it's worth a shot. So far I've been rejected from Minnesota (sad, but not a big surprise), Emory (expected that one), Montana State (they sent me an email saying how they were "very interested" in me and asked for a few more days to finalize the decision, then rejected me yesterday), and Iowa (oh well, it was supposed to be my backup plan school).

Thanks!

Hey NeuronParty,

Colorado State has their interviews in a week from Thursday and I believe Boulder already had theirs two weeks ago (no idea if they're doing a second interview-I applied there too, no response!). 

Good luck! 

Longafloat and MidnightRun - how did you guys like Pitt? I hope you guys aren't the two who didn't make it out...

Marisa.UVA,

Pitt was fantastic. I am finishing up my Ugrad there in a different department and can tell you the research opportunities (across Pitt, UPMC, CMU) are great. Did you interview there? 

neuronparty, on 12 Feb 2014 - 6:06 PM, said:snapback.png

Hi everyone,

First off let me apologize, because I have a feeling this is going to be long. I was just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me. I applied to 12 Neuroscience Ph.D programs, and I have received only rejections (4) thus far, and no interviews. On a side note I am finishing up my B.S. in psychology with a biology minor. Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect to get all kinds of acceptances, but I did have some hopes that I would get at least some interviews (or one interview?). I understand that I still have eight to hear from, but it's pretty discouraging when your top choices don't give you a second glance. Hey, even being wait listed would make me happy.

I am not meaning to sound whiny or self-entitled, but it is a little frustrating when you've done everything possible to have a strong application and it gets rejected. I have a fairly high GPA, two years of research experience, two years of teaching assisting, great letters of recommendation, a neuropsychology internship, inpatient rehabilitation volunteering, EMT training, an officer for an honor society, a paid job editing APA papers, and other things that I thought would make me a strong applicant. Also, I am not applying to all top tier schools, I applied to only a few that are top tier. Anyone else feel like this?

Anyhow, has anyone heard anything from West Virginia, Nebraska-Omaha, Nebraska-Lincoln, Rutgers, UT Dallas, Colorado Boulder, Colorado State, or Texas A&M? I noticed not too many people talk about these programs on here but I figured it's worth a shot. So far I've been rejected from Minnesota (sad, but not a big surprise), Emory (expected that one), Montana State (they sent me an email saying how they were "very interested" in me and asked for a few more days to finalize the decision, then rejected me yesterday), and Iowa (oh well, it was supposed to be my backup plan school).

Thanks!

Neuronparty,

Don't worry about WVU. They're still having their interviews (I'm assuming you applied to Biomedical Sciences). They have had several interviews, and still have more to come. So keep your head up! Also, once you interview there, they're very quick to let you know where you lie. I heard back from them not even a week after I interviewed. And the season is not yet over (: positive thoughts!

Ah, thanks for the updates! I haven't heard a peep from UC Boulder or Colorado State, so I'm assuming I'm not in good standing there or else wait listed. I did apply to the biomedical sciences at WVU, so I will keep waiting in agony! I'm starting to think I should've applied to more than 12 programs, just as a safety net, we will see though! Waiting is the worst part.

I've been accepted to West Virginia University and University at Buffalo's Behavioral Neuroscience programs. I am having a hard time choosing between the two. Albeit, both these programs are based out of the psychology departments they encourage collaboration with the Neuroscience departments. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the two? Does one rank noticeably higher than the other? 

I've been accepted to West Virginia University and University at Buffalo's Behavioral Neuroscience programs. I am having a hard time choosing between the two. Albeit, both these programs are based out of the psychology departments they encourage collaboration with the Neuroscience departments. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the two? Does one rank noticeably higher than the other? 

Both US News & World report and NRC have rankings for psychology departments (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-humanities-schools/psychology-rankings/  and http://chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-/124708/ or http://www.socialpsychology.org/ranking.htm).

I am currently an undergrad in WVU's behavioral neuroscience department, and it's a great program. Everyone is very friendly and happy overall, and collaboration is encouraged with the Neuroscience department on Health Sciences. Honestly, I think most people are happy here, so I think it depends more on what you want out of your graduate school experience, research, etc.