Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014

RetJitter

What have you guys who've interviewed been wearing to the events that go on during interview weekends? I plan to dress fairly formal for the interview and meeting professors, but what about meeting/going out with the current grad students / dinner and other events?

dare2lare: For the interviews, I wore a patterned pencil skirt, a cream blouse, and a black blazer with the sleeves rolled up... and heels... and I was by FAR one of the more formal recruits. Most people worse nice shirts/sweaters with dress pants and dress shoes, one girl wore a suit, some women wore dresses... the guys mostly wore dress pants with button up shirts and ties, but one wore a sweater.

For the business casual faculty dinner I wore black dress pants and a blouse with heels, and once again was one of the more dressed up people. MOST people dressed down a little, a few even wore jeans (which I was strongly advised against). For the interactions with graduate students only, most people wore jeans, including me. That part was very casual, though certainly I don't remember anyone wearing ratty t-shirts.

dare2lare: For the interviews, I wore a patterned pencil skirt, a cream blouse, and a black blazer with the sleeves rolled up... and heels... and I was by FAR one of the more formal recruits. Most people worse nice shirts/sweaters with dress pants and dress shoes, one girl wore a suit, some women wore dresses... the guys mostly wore dress pants with button up shirts and ties, but one wore a sweater.

For the business casual faculty dinner I wore black dress pants and a blouse with heels, and once again was one of the more dressed up people. MOST people dressed down a little, a few even wore jeans (which I was strongly advised against). For the interactions with graduate students only, most people wore jeans, including me. That part was very casual, though certainly I don't remember anyone wearing ratty t-shirts.

I'd second all that, but I'll add two things:

1) Wear shoes you are comfortable walking in. Depending on the program, you may have to walk a quick ~15 minutes between buildings for interviews.

2) The colder climate places seem to be a tad more relaxed on dress code. You definitely don't want to wear jeans or anything, but they understand that not freezing to death may come at the expense of some professionalism.

For my interviews, I wore dress pants (either black or gray) with a nice blouse and a sweater or cardigan. A few people wore suits, but not many.

Edit to say: Unless explicitly told to dress casually, I'd aim for business casual-ish for all events. If it's just like, a dinner with students on the night you fly in, nice jeans and a good sweater will work.

Edited by thegirldetective

Does anyone here have any advice on adcom interviews? I have heard they are usually tougher with more grilling questions. I was emailed with names of five adcom members I will be interviewing with. I have one this week and am totally freaking out.

Does anyone here have any advice on adcom interviews? I have heard they are usually tougher with more grilling questions. I was emailed with names of five adcom members I will be interviewing with. I have one this week and am totally freaking out.

I've only had one interview but the ones with adcom members were actually more geared toward answering questions about the city and the program. The only time I was remotely close to being grilled was when a professor wasn't familiar with my research and was genuinely interested, but he wasn't on the adcom as far as I know. I got the vibe that people were recruiting more so than trying to pick people off, but that will vary at different programs.

I've only had one interview but the ones with adcom members were actually more geared toward answering questions about the city and the program. The only time I was remotely close to being grilled was when a professor wasn't familiar with my research and was genuinely interested, but he wasn't on the adcom as far as I know. I got the vibe that people were recruiting more so than trying to pick people off, but that will vary at different programs.

My adcom member interviews were like this as well. It was clearly more of a recruitment interview than anything else, and we talked a little bit about science, but mostly about the program itself. That said, I'm sure it's different with different programs.

Thanks. I see that you are not in US, so do you have a skype interview? Any clue if this is an interview or a final admitted list...

Well I actually am in San Francisco right now, so I'm going down to Irvine for the interviews. I'm pretty sure mine's an interview, they seemed to make that clear in the mail the department sent me (though the professor who initially contacted me sounded a tad more confident about the possibility of my admission). But I don't think there's a final admitted list.

Well I actually am in San Francisco right now, so I'm going down to Irvine for the interviews. I'm pretty sure mine's an interview, they seemed to make that clear in the mail the department sent me (though the professor who initially contacted me sounded a tad more confident about the possibility of my admission). But I don't think there's a final admitted list.

Thanks. Good luck then! I haven't heard from them, so I'd assume that it isn't an admit for me!

So I still haven't heard anything from any of my 6 schools (UC Davis, Berkeley, Univ. of Wash., Michigan, Michigan State, and Minnesota), and I'm really beginning to think this is a bad sign. I know Wash had interviews on Feb 4-5th so I'm considering myself out of that one (though I have not gotten a rejection e-mail/letter). I also know Berkeley had some interviews a week or two ago. Has anyone heard from any of these schools?

So I still haven't heard anything from any of my 6 schools (UC Davis, Berkeley, Univ. of Wash., Michigan, Michigan State, and Minnesota), and I'm really beginning to think this is a bad sign. I know Wash had interviews on Feb 4-5th so I'm considering myself out of that one (though I have not gotten a rejection e-mail/letter). I also know Berkeley had some interviews a week or two ago. Has anyone heard from any of these schools?

Minnesota's one interview event is this weekend.

I also applied to Michigan and Michigan State. I haven't heard anything either, but I've also seen some people get admits/rejections, so I assume that means a waitlist? I'm considering contacting MSU to inquire. Michigan's website says that they will have made all of their final decisions "no later than March 1st", so I'm trying to wait until then. 

UC Davis had their interview weekend this past weekend. Unfortunately, I don't think they were planning on having another one :-(.

Hi everyone,

First off let me apologize, because I have a feeling this is going to be long. I was just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me. I applied to 12 Neuroscience Ph.D programs, and I have received only rejections (4) thus far, and no interviews. On a side note I am finishing up my B.S. in psychology with a biology minor. Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect to get all kinds of acceptances, but I did have some hopes that I would get at least some interviews (or one interview?). I understand that I still have eight to hear from, but it's pretty discouraging when your top choices don't give you a second glance. Hey, even being wait listed would make me happy.

I am not meaning to sound whiny or self-entitled, but it is a little frustrating when you've done everything possible to have a strong application and it gets rejected. I have a fairly high GPA, two years of research experience, two years of teaching assisting, great letters of recommendation, a neuropsychology internship, inpatient rehabilitation volunteering, EMT training, an officer for an honor society, a paid job editing APA papers, and other things that I thought would make me a strong applicant. Also, I am not applying to all top tier schools, I applied to only a few that are top tier. Anyone else feel like this?

Anyhow, has anyone heard anything from West Virginia, Nebraska-Omaha, Nebraska-Lincoln, Rutgers, UT Dallas, Colorado Boulder, Colorado State, or Texas A&M? I noticed not too many people talk about these programs on here but I figured it's worth a shot. So far I've been rejected from Minnesota (sad, but not a big surprise), Emory (expected that one), Montana State (they sent me an email saying how they were "very interested" in me and asked for a few more days to finalize the decision, then rejected me yesterday), and Iowa (oh well, it was supposed to be my backup plan school).

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

First off let me apologize, because I have a feeling this is going to be long. I was just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me. I applied to 12 Neuroscience Ph.D programs, and I have received only rejections (4) thus far, and no interviews. On a side note I am finishing up my B.S. in psychology with a biology minor. Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect to get all kinds of acceptances, but I did have some hopes that I would get at least some interviews (or one interview?). I understand that I still have eight to hear from, but it's pretty discouraging when your top choices don't give you a second glance. Hey, even being wait listed would make me happy.

I am not meaning to sound whiny or self-entitled, but it is a little frustrating when you've done everything possible to have a strong application and it gets rejected. I have a fairly high GPA, two years of research experience, two years of teaching assisting, great letters of recommendation, a neuropsychology internship, inpatient rehabilitation volunteering, EMT training, an officer for an honor society, a paid job editing APA papers, and other things that I thought would make me a strong applicant. Also, I am not applying to all top tier schools, I applied to only a few that are top tier. Anyone else feel like this?

Anyhow, has anyone heard anything from West Virginia, Nebraska-Omaha, Nebraska-Lincoln, Rutgers, UT Dallas, Colorado Boulder, Colorado State, or Texas A&M? I noticed not too many people talk about these programs on here but I figured it's worth a shot. So far I've been rejected from Minnesota (sad, but not a big surprise), Emory (expected that one), Montana State (they sent me an email saying how they were "very interested" in me and asked for a few more days to finalize the decision, then rejected me yesterday), and Iowa (oh well, it was supposed to be my backup plan school).

Thanks!

UNL is currently having interviews so you can likely count that one out.

Thank you. That was helpful information. The interview is over and I felt they did not know anything of my background. Which is okay considering they are interviewing many candidates. I have no idea what impression I made because they just said very casually that I will be notified later. I think some of my answers were not really up to the mark. Maybe I am over thinking. I have had only one interview before this and the interviewer who was the program director had said they are pretty excited about my application and hopefully will be able to make an offer. But that is from my backup university. This is the real one I want to get into.

My adcom member interviews were like this as well. It was clearly more of a recruitment interview than anything else, and we talked a little bit about science, but mostly about the program itself. That said, I'm sure it's different with different programs.

Thank you. That was helpful information. The interview is over and I felt they did not know anything of my background. Which is okay considering they are interviewing many candidates. I have no idea what impression I made because they just said very casually that I will be notified later. I think some of my answers were not really up to the mark. Maybe I am over thinking. I have had only one interview before this and the interviewer who was the program director had said they are pretty excited about my application and hopefully will be able to make an offer. But that is from my backup university. This is the real one I want to get into.

On 2/13/2014 at 4:45 AM, I am not sure yet said:

Anyone heard news from Washington University in St. Louis?

They've had some interviews. That being said, I don't think anyone can expect to hear official decisions for several more weeks.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

That really sucks, neuronparty. I'm sorry. I have two suggestions that may help for next time around:

1) How many people read your SOP? It's possible there might be some accidental "red flags" in there that you missed. For example, talking too much about your non-research extracurriculars might have actually hurt you. All most programs really care about is your research experience, and so your SOP in part needs to be dedicated to convincing them that research owns your heart and soul. (This is something I also struggled with when writing my SOP, because like you I did a lot of other things in college that I am really proud of and wanted to talk about, but ultimately I didn't discuss anything in my SOP except past research and future research goals).

2) Have you published any research or presented at conferences? I think adcoms use this as evidence that the research you've done is substantial. Perhaps talk to your PI about submitting an SfN abstract (I think the deadline is April?) so it'll be on your CV for next year.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Hey, even i am facing the same situation. That too, I only applied to the universities where i got a positive reply from the POI's. But in the end i din't get any interview invites as of now.

Emailing the POI's helped me to get to know my weakspots. Basically i am from engineering background and i haven't taken many science courses. My POI from duke said that the main reason for my rejection was that i dint take enough biology courses. While my POI from UCSD was very much interested in my work (as he was from cognitive computational neuro) and he added that i should retake my GRE to improve my verbal score and definitely apply for next year. As i have completely lost my confidence, right now i thought of applying for the Masters program. But again, as the deadline for most of the universities have already passed i think i am  back to square one. So, I certainly have no idea what i am gonna do after 6 months!

After being on a bunch of interviews, one thing I learned that I wasn't necessarily aware of before was that the vast majority of the people were not in their last year as undergraduates.

Most people interviewing had worked usually 2 or more years in a lab as a lab tech prior to this application season. I'm fortunate to have been accepted to places, but if I had not, I believe my plan would have been to reach out to the PIs who conducted research I was interested in and see if I could work in their lab as a tech to gain more experience in the field (and also another reference letter too).

EDIT: For example, when I visited UVA, I remember that of the 15 of us there interviewing, only 3 of us were still completing our undergraduate degree. Some people had even worked in labs for as many as 5 years prior to this application cycle.

Edited by emguth