Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014

RetJitter

I'm trying to decide between USC and UC Irvine.  I was wondering if you guys had some input into either school.  I'm leaning towards UC Irvine because I connected more with the professors, they seem to value their graduate students (one of their selling points), and they are offering me a fellowship.

I'm interested in many areas of neuroscience so I'm a little concerned that UCI has a large focus on learning and memory.  I am interested in learning and memory but what if I want to study something else?  Also, USC has a lot of money.  They recently bought a bunch of people from UCLA.  How does the wealth of the school affect my graduate studies?  Lastly, what is the reputation of both of these schools?  Is one better than the other in terms of status alone?

That was a lot of questions and pertain more to the decision making phase rather than the application phase.  But I thought since applications are over this is a good time to bring it up.  If you guys have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!

Well, Irvine is ranked higher in about every category, at least as of 2010:  https://chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-/124747/ .  But like you mentioned, that may change dramatically with the recent acquisition from UCLA, and those rankings aren't particularly up to date in the first place. 

Just released my offers at Emory and UMiami - I'm glad I was able to do that early, so someone else can hear back with enough time to make a good decision. Their interview weekends were both very impressive! Best of luck to anyone that's still considering them =) 

Hi NeuroGirl,

I am currently making a decision between Vanderbilt NGP and U of Chicago psychology/integrative neuroscience.  What swayed you to Vanderbilt in the end? I'm Elliot btw, I'm sure we probably met.

If I already know that I don't want to attend a certain program, should I let them know now or wait until I've actually committed to a program and gotten confirmation? The paranoia of something going wrong is pushing me toward waiting, but I really want to let my spot go to someone on the waitlist if that's how the program is doing things.

Well, do you have other offers? Could you see yourself going to this place if nowhere else works out? It is good to let the offer go as soon as you can, but it's also important to do what's best for you.

Well, do you have other offers? Could you see yourself going to this place if nowhere else works out? It is good to let the offer go as soon as you can, but it's also important to do what's best for you.

I've received other offers that I am more interested in but would still go to this school if something went wrong with the other schools. UCSF did just have a fire in Mission Bay...which was where one of my offers is from!

Hi NeuroGirl,

I am currently making a decision between Vanderbilt NGP and U of Chicago psychology/integrative neuroscience.  What swayed you to Vanderbilt in the end? I'm Elliot btw, I'm sure we probably met.

Yeah we were all on the same interview weekend Elliot haha

Those of you who have gotten admissions offers and accepted... when did the school get back to you? I accepted an offer two weeks ago and it was confirmed on the website but haven't heard any further word from the school at all. Do they normally begin the admitted students correspondence later in the spring?

Yeah I hope so haha! Which interview weekend did you go to?

Btw...to help with your actual question about usc vs uci....did you enjoy the uci area/campus? for a lot of people its hit or miss and it could definitely get tiring/boring after a few years i bet. their program is really strong though, as you were saying. USC hasn't been known for their neuro until recently because of how much $ they are putting into it. I bet in the next several years it will become better recognized. I'd probably base it mostly on faculty interests and location - It seems like both schools are pretty good w/ funding. Im sure some other people have insight too!

I went to the last USC interview.  How about you?

I did like UCI's campus.  I didn't get to explore Irvine due to an early flight, but I like the idea of living in a more suburban neighborhood.  When people at work ask me which school I'm going to, I say that it will probably be Irvine.  Maybe I've already made my choice and just need to convince myself that it's the right one.

Well, Irvine is ranked higher in about every category, at least as of 2010:  https://chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-/124747/ .  But like you mentioned, that may change dramatically with the recent acquisition from UCLA, and those rankings aren't particularly up to date in the first place. 

That's a good point.  The rankings will change during the five+ years we are at graduate school.

Yeah we were all on the same interview weekend Elliot haha

Haha, I know. I just like trying to put faces and names to these forum aliases. 

I went to the last USC interview.  How about you?

I did like UCI's campus.  I didn't get to explore Irvine due to an early flight, but I like the idea of living in a more suburban neighborhood.  When people at work ask me which school I'm going to, I say that it will probably be Irvine.  Maybe I've already made my choice and just need to convince myself that it's the right one.

That's a good point.  The rankings will change during the five+ years we are at graduate school.

I was at the 2nd interview session, and no one I knew from it has heard so idk...I'm really hopeful! I didn't apply to too many schools and only got 2 interviews, and a rejection from 1 even after one of the faculty wrote a recommendation email to the committee post interview ( :( ), so this is kind of my last shot. USC is my top choice over the other one though so I'm remaining hopeful.

Yeah it seems like you might have already made your decision haha! they are both great programs so I don't think you're going to be limited either way at all.

Edited by dare2lare

Has anyone been REJECTED by Wake yet???

I haven't, but I did get an interview and declined it. I should be in the next wave of rejects that come out - I can certainly let you know if I hear something! 

Edited by NeuroGirl042

I'm sort of under the impression that they haven't sent out ANY rejections yet.  And I feel as though I would have heard something by now, but haven't.  :(  Ah well, next year.  I'm just going to assume that my lack of hearing means I'm out.

I emailed NYU neural science to ask about the the process. It seems that no interview so far = rejection in the end of the month (they actually used the words 'extremely unlikely' to be accepted). Well, guess I'm not going to the USA this year.

I was at the 2nd interview session, and no one I knew from it has heard so idk...I'm really hopeful! I didn't apply to too many schools and only got 2 interviews, and a rejection from 1 even after one of the faculty wrote a recommendation email to the committee post interview ( :( ), so this is kind of my last shot. USC is my top choice over the other one though so I'm remaining hopeful.

Yeah it seems like you might have already made your decision haha! they are both great programs so I don't think you're going to be limited either way at all.

I made my decision:  going to UC Irvine.  Hopefully that will open up a spot for you at USC.

Hi, sorry if some of these have been recently asked/answered, but has anyone heard anything from University of Texas-Dallas, Texas A&M, or Rutgers Behavioral and Systems Neuroscience? These are the last schools I haven't heard a peep from or seen anything about on here. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything. Oh, and I haven't heard any kind of rejection yet, which I'm expecting from Colorado State.

PS---If you've been accepted to University of Nebraska Omaha's Neuroscience program and you don't plan on going, please back out! I was all set up for an official interview there and had been in talks with the professor who was interested in me. She happened to check on the funding available only to find out they didn't have enough for me at the moment unless someone backs out. :l So here I sit on the wait list unless someone backs out.

Edited by neuronparty

Who is the professor at UNO? I have been accepted, but was told that funding has not been decided yet and that it is not available for all students. That was a few weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything. 

Dr. Sollars.  She said she checked on the funding they had available and it wasn't enough for another student..? I believe she told me in an email that they will have all that figured out at the latest by April 15 when their incoming class is completely finalized. 

Still on the wait list for NYU Sackler's Neuroscience program :( anybody thinking about declining their offer? 

Edit: I declined my offer from UMiami, hope someone benefitted from that! 

Edited by moonchild1093

• 2 weeks later...