Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014

RetJitter

Well, if you're applying through PIBS, they don't really start sending out invites til the end of the week. 

Also applied directly to the neuroscience program unfortunately.

It doesn't seem like the programs send out all of their invites in one day though, so there is that! 

EDIT: Thanks for the update, neuropatholover!

Edited by pachel

Also applied directly to the neuroscience program unfortunately.

It doesn't seem like the programs send out all of their invites in one day though, so there is that! 

EDIT: Thanks for the update, neuropatholover!

Can confirm, called UT-Austin and they still have a few invites to send out.

joined just for this thread haha. anyways, i got a call from northwestern on the 12th, and a call from emory on the 13th. 

northwestern interview dates: jan 16-17, jan 30-31,  feb 20-21.

emory interview dates: feb 6-8, feb 20-22

Hi all, excited to join the forum!  I'm a senior undergrad from IU Bloomington, applying to a mix of cognitive/social/computational programs.  Saw somebody applying to IU--let me know if you have any questions.  Good luck to all! 

On 12/16/2013 at 7:02 PM, chailattes said:

eyyyy did you apply to/hear from washington neuroscience? 

Yeah, they sent out their interviews last Friday. I don't think they are sending out more since the deadline to rsvp is thursday. I'm sorry man :(

Hi all, excited to join the forum!  I'm a senior undergrad from IU Bloomington, applying to a mix of cognitive/social/computational programs.  Saw somebody applying to IU--let me know if you have any questions.  Good luck to all! 

Hey! Welcome! Which Caltech program did you apply to? CNS or neurobio?

I actually talked to WUSTL today and they're sending out more invites (so I was told) - the invites sent out so far are for "sure things" i.e. students who are definitely getting admits (so congrats). But there will be more invites sent as the adcom hashes out more people. This is just what I was told, take it with a grain of salt. 

On 12/16/2013 at 10:07 PM, Althonse said:

Yeah, they sent out their interviews last Friday. I don't think they are sending out more since the deadline to rsvp is thursday. I'm sorry man :(

Wouldn't say that they are finished yet. I actually applied last year. Didn't get invited during this first wave, and then during the first week of January they emailed saying that another department is going to take a look at my app (Pharm and Tox). Also, many schools have several waves of interview invites, and some of those schools base this on how many people respond to the first round (with Harvard and other super-elite schools being an exception). 

On 12/16/2013 at 10:27 PM, Der Strudel said:

Wouldn't say that they are finished yet. I actually applied last year. Didn't get invited during this first wave, and then during the first week of January they emailed saying that another department is going to take a look at my app (Pharm and Tox). Also, many schools have several waves of interview invites, and some of those schools base this on how many people respond to the first round (with Harvard and other super-elite schools being an exception). 

Ah okay! That's good news then!

Just an FYI for you people applying/interviewing at the University of Washington: no one, I repeat, no one, affiliated with the school or even living in the state of Washington ever refers to the school as "UWash." If you're going to shorten the school's name, it's UW (often "U-Dub" in conversation). By all means refer to the school however you like here in the forums, but if you interview there and refer to it as UWash you might sound a bit strange. It doesn't want to get confused with Washington University in St. Louis which often goes by Washington University or WashU or WUSTL.

Hey, I posted this in interviews, but perhaps some of you might have some insight....

I have been lucky to receive a few interview offers for PhD programs. Unfortunately though, the recruitment dates conflict with the recruitment weekends of some of my top choice schools, but I won't hear back from those other schools until January. The schools that have offered me interviews are making me decide whether I can attend their recruitment weekend this week and next, before I have a chance to hear back from the other programs (and then fairly choose one over the other). Do most schools understand and allow you to choose another time to go if you are offered an interview at their school, but have previously committed to visit another program on the same weekend? I can't be certain I'll get an interview at any of these other programs because they are so competitive, so declining an interview seems like a silly thing to do. The schools I haven't heard back from yet have their recruitment dates posted on their websites....

Thank you in advance for your advice!

On 12/16/2013 at 10:08 PM, Althonse said:

Hey! Welcome! Which Caltech program did you apply to? CNS or neurobio?

Thanks.  It's actually the behavioral and social neuroscience program, with CNS as a subtrack (as opposed to the social sciences track).  I'm assuming CNS it's own broader track as well?  Which did you apply to?  Caltech is actually my top choice, but it sounds extremely competitive, with only 12 faculty total in the behavioral and social program. 

On 12/16/2013 at 10:26 PM, braaaaaiinnns said:

Anyone know what the status is on UCLA invites? I know some happened over the weekend, but I'm hoping there's going to be another round of invites sent out. Did they specify a deadline to RSVP or anything?

I got mine on Saturday the 14th.  It was for the Feb. 8-10 interview session.  I couldn't find a list of all their interview dates, but it sounds like there are multiple.  Nope, they didn't specify any specific deadline to rsvp, so I'd bet there are still more to be sent for later interview dates.  Best of luck!

@eal09: I applied to Neurobiology, which is a brand new program. I had a hard time deciding not to apply to CNS, but I was afraid that I would be discarded since I don't have an extensive math/CS background.

@imitosis: thanks! definitely good to know :)

Does anyone know; if you are not offered an interview during this time when they send out invites, does that pretty much mean you are rejected? Would they let you know that now, or send out official rejections along with official acceptances in February/March?

Does anyone know; if you are not offered an interview during this time when they send out invites, does that pretty much mean you are rejected? Would they let you know that now, or send out official rejections along with official acceptances in February/March?

Usually they don't let you know until official acceptance time....

Usually they don't let you know until official acceptance time....

Damn. I'm starting to get a little worried. Oh well... it's only Tuesday. Not time to panic yet.

Usually how it works is that they send the majority of interview invites in December and early January, and then after some people decline interviews (scheduling problems, lack of interest, etc), they send out final interview invites by February for most programs.  Then they start sending out admissions offers, and once they've got a good sense of how many people are actually interested in attending, they send out final offers to a handful of people who would have originally been on the fence.

Hence why some people get in without an interview.

Has anyone heard from the NGP program from  OHSU about interviews? It's one of my top choices and I am eager to hear back from them, regardless of the decision.

Thanks in advance!

Also applied, and also haven't heard anything. Not super helpful, but at least there's two of us in the same boat!