Programs like Notre Dame's MA in Early Xian Studies

Tara_Fern

I've been researching grad school options, and I was thrilled to learn of ND's M.A. in Early Christian Studies. I'm nuts about Latin, but have always preferred the history of the early church to the classical era. It would appear most of the M.A.'s in Latin are either focused on Classical or Medieval. Are there any others besides ND that focus on the Latin of the early church? I don't want to stick all my eggs into one basket, especially such a competitive basket. ;)

Thanks!

I believe there are several ECS alumni now working on PhDs in the theology department at Notre Dame (among them LateAntique).  You could probably contact one of them by means of the classics department ECS page, which lists the names of recent alumni. I'll probably be doing that myself, since I'm trying to figure out whether to apply to the ECS program or the MA in classics.

Late Antique is now in the PhD program in theology at ND. You should be able to find him somewhere around here. Also, be aware that program is very competitive. I think they accept one or two people a year. You may also consider doing some related degree (MTS, MA, etc.) if you need some other 'safe' options. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Tara.

I noticed your location in Moscow, ID. You must be an alumna of NSA. How did you like it there? Tell me about the Latin program and Latin textbooks too, if you don't mind. I'm curious about the curricula for the various language courses. I'd like to send my four kids to this school, and I've even thought about doing one of the grad programs there myself.

Take care.

Late Antique is now in the PhD program in theology at ND. You should be able to find him somewhere around here. Also, be aware that program is very competitive. I think they accept one or two people a year. You may also consider doing some related degree (MTS, MA, etc.) if you need some other 'safe' options. 

Agreed. I'd look at the MTS as well.