International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Hi Oriole and Alchyna,

I just got an offer from LSE  as well, for the MPA-ID. This is a two year programme, and a very expensive one at that. They've asked me to wait for a decision on aid, so i'm going to do that. Last week, i got accepted at the University of Wisconsin Madison for the Master in International Public Affairs, but without any funding. I'm waiting for quite a few places to get back to me, and hopefully things will be clear by mid March. 

Slightly less stressed about IHEID now :)  Fingers crossed for everyone here!

Congratulations on the LSE MPA that's a really tough program! You know your workload will be twice as heavy as Msc students. I really wanted to do it but the price :unsure: I don't even know if I can afford the 1 year Msc so I knew a 2 year program would be out of reach for me. Oh and also I suck at anything quantitative so MPA ID was not in the cards for me!

Do you know how long you have to wait for a funding decision? I got mine right along with admission. I get what you are saying I'm nervous about IHEID but not dying like when we were waiting for the first round and I had no admissions yet.

Ok guys now my fear for IHEID is not even rejection... at least that will put me out of my misery... my fear is WAIT LIST. I swear you guys if I get wait listed I will cry ha ha

Ok guys now my fear for IHEID is not even rejection... at least that will put me out of my misery... my fear is WAIT LIST. I swear you guys if I get wait listed I will cry ha ha

Oh, gee, I daren't think about the waiting list thing...

Congratulations on the LSE MPA that's a really tough program! You know your workload will be twice as heavy as Msc students. I really wanted to do it but the price :unsure: I don't even know if I can afford the 1 year Msc so I knew a 2 year program would be out of reach for me. Oh and also I suck at anything quantitative so MPA ID was not in the cards for me!

Do you know how long you have to wait for a funding decision? I got mine right along with admission. I get what you are saying I'm nervous about IHEID but not dying like when we were waiting for the first round and I had no admissions yet.

Yes, i can't afford it either. haha. so i'll have to get an external scholarship if what LSE gives (IF they do) is not enough. I really liked the curriculum though, and that's why i'd applied. 

Don't know how long i'll have to wait. I had filled the aid form a little late. So my letter says the admission decision was made before that was submitted. I don't want to repent that now :/ 

And yes, just tell me about IHEID already! 

Oh, gee, I daren't think about the waiting list thing...

Yes after the December wait list, it's nothing but bloody waiting. Wait listing people anyway know their fate in May so yeah it's torturous.

In May?!!! Oh wow that's wayyyyy too long, especially those of us who applied before Nov 15! I understand making January deadline people wait a bit longer but not the rest of us. I need to make up my mind before that anyway. Sciences Po is giving me until April to accept their offer or not but LSE is quite generous in that regard we have 6 weeks and even if we take longer they don't rescind the offer.

I know I said I was going to step away from the keyboard but I couldn't help myself... congratulations! Even if you end up not accepting the offer, you can at least say you got in. Are you sure you looked into all possible funding options?

I got my reply last week for the very same program! I am actually torn between Dev Management at LSE and Dev Practice at Sciences Po at the moment and both are 1 year programs (for my own sanity I refuse to think about IHEID for the next few days) I think you are the only other person who applied for Dev Management on this thread. Where else did you apply and if funding was not a problem... where would you go?

Thank you! Yeah it is a bit discouraging to go through list after list of scholarships that I'm not eligible for but I really need to keep searching, there's gotta be something out there.

If it weren't for the funding issue I'm really not sure where I would go at this point. I think I'm leaning towards IHEID since I feel like a 2-year program would give me a more comprehensive education but the pure global prestige that LSE has is a huge pull as well. A small, sick part of me hopes that I don't get into IHEID because that will at least make my decision much easier (but the rational part of me would be devastated lol).

You seem to have an extremely strong profile so I don't think you'll have any problem getting into IHEID. I don't envy the dilemma that you'll face when you'll have to choose from 3 such amazing schools!

Also I used to think LSE would be tougher to get into than IHEID based on the admission stats I've seen but now I'm not sure of anything lol.

Hi Oriole and Alchyna,

I just got an offer from LSE  as well, for the MPA-ID. This is a two year programme, and a very expensive one at that. They've asked me to wait for a decision on aid, so i'm going to do that. Last week, i got accepted at the University of Wisconsin Madison for the Master in International Public Affairs, but without any funding. I'm waiting for quite a few places to get back to me, and hopefully things will be clear by mid March. 

Slightly less stressed about IHEID now :)  Fingers crossed for everyone here!

I just had a look at the MPA page - yikes at the tuition costs, and I thought Dev. Management was bad! Fingers crossed for you that you get funding!

IHEID should really know the deferred student about their statuses first rather than tending to the ones even the brilliant ones who applied for the Jan deadline.

Not being biased here or something but Nov ppl have waited for sooo long. Anymore wait just isn't fair.

Thank you! Yeah it is a bit discouraging to go through list after list of scholarships that I'm not eligible for but I really need to keep searching, there's gotta be something out there.

If it weren't for the funding issue I'm really not sure where I would go at this point. I think I'm leaning towards IHEID since I feel like a 2-year program would give me a more comprehensive education but the pure global prestige that LSE has is a huge pull as well. A small, sick part of me hopes that I don't get into IHEID because that will at least make my decision much easier (but the rational part of me would be devastated lol).

You seem to have an extremely strong profile so I don't think you'll have any problem getting into IHEID. I don't envy the dilemma that you'll face when you'll have to choose from 3 such amazing schools!

Also I used to think LSE would be tougher to get into than IHEID based on the admission stats I've seen but now I'm not sure of anything lol.

You know it's not sick at all I feel the same way! If the decision is kind of out of my hands because one of my top choices rejects me but the other takes me then it makes it a bit easier to choose with no regrets. (with that said IHEID don't reject me please!!)

I'm also leaning towards the 2 year program at IHEID because I feel like one year will go by so fast! But I'm torn because I'm older than most here and not fresh out of undergrad, I already have been working for a few years so do I really want to go back to school for 2 years? That also seems like a very long time to not be working full time... not to mention that LSE's prestige is undeniable and my favorite curriculum is Sciences Po's because it's really all about teaching you practical skills. I'm so torn and all over the place!

LSE gave me a bit of money but it will not be even close to enough for me to be granted a UK student visa by proving I have sufficient funds to pay tuition and living costs. I am like you looking at other options so if you come across anything for internationals please do share and I'll do the same. I will really focus on that when I do choose a school, it's hard searching for funding in 3 different countries when you don't even know where you will end up.

Got my first response today! Accepted for MPP at Hertie in Berlin! As new as the school is, it's definitely among my top choices - subject to financing. Also helps that they have exchange programmes with IHEID and Sciences Po, two of my other top choices. :))

Got my first response today! Accepted for MPP at Hertie in Berlin! As new as the school is, it's definitely among my top choices - subject to financing. Also helps that they have exchange programmes with IHEID and Sciences Po, two of my other top choices. :))

Great. I got mine one month ago and still waiting for the scholarships. They said they would TRY to notify selected candidates tomorrow.Good luck. 

HERTIE is also one of my top choices. 

Hello again,

IHEID or Duke would be my top choice but depends on aid, really. Also, is this the IDS scholarship you're waiting for?

Yes the IDS one and some other Indian scholarships as well...

Yes the IDS one and some other Indian scholarships as well...

I'll start applying for external scholarships now. They're all super competitive though!

Which Indian Scholarships are you two looking at? 

Hi Angie, I'm looking at the Inlaks and Tata scholarships..what about you? 

@ Arbitist - if you're from Maharashtra then you can look at some state government scholarships as well..

@ Arbitist - if you're from Maharashtra then you can look at some state government scholarships as well..

Yeah same here. Although I missed the deadline for Tata as you had to order the form from Mumbai.  Plus i will be also applying for Aga Khan. 

Btw whats your top choice? 

Same here. Tata and Inlaks.

There are state government scholarships for Masters? I'll look. Thanks :)

Well the priority for me was to do a one year program and the IDS program suited well. Work and jobs in development depend on a number of factors and it takes time to shape your interests, capabilities and opportunities and land a dream-job (if that even exists!)..My focus now is to learn as much as I can from practitioners, policy makers and activists while developing my focus and strengths..IDS seems like a place with a good mix of these so that's about it..

Well the priority for me was to do a one year program and the IDS program suited well. Work and jobs in development depend on a number of factors and it takes time to shape your interests, capabilities and opportunities and land a dream-job (if that even exists!)..My focus now is to learn as much as I can from practitioners, policy makers and activists while developing my focus and strengths..IDS seems like a place with a good mix of these so that's about it..

You should check out the Sciences Po Masters in Development Practice, the same where Alchyna got in. The curriculum is beyond amazing.

Hey guys. 

All the best.

It is time for me to leave for Mendoza. There is a long holiday till Tuesday in Argentina. So I will be spending it, indulging in wines and steak. And face the cruel (may be blissful) news coming to me next week. 

If I am lucky enough to be future classmates with any of you, I will bring you some Argentine wines  B)

Have a nice weekend ! Hermano sy Hermanas