International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

I have not read the forum but I applied for PhD in International Relations / Development Studies at:

- IHEID - got an email from Paola Eicher after inquiring about the status of my application said, "Your file is currently being assessed by the Admission Committee, thus is each of the department's professors. At the end of the February, they will decide on the final list of admitted candidates. Until, then we can not know which candidates have been selected. You may contact me on the 25 and I can see if I can get an anticipated approximate answer on your application."

- SOAS - nothing yet

- Wisconsin-Madison - nothing yet. 

Do let me know if you have heard from these schools. 

IHEID is a top choice, but I can only go if they give full scholarship for four years as Geneva is more expensive than London to live in.  SOAS would be ideal for a PhD as its much more theoretical (would not go for a Masters if you want practical) but there is no funding. Unless you get ESRC grants.
Wisconsin-Madison just has whole departments dedicated to my research topic so I applied.

I also did my Masters at IDS at Sussex and it I think is way better than any universities based in London. The degree at IDS is more practical than what you will find at any unis in London and all of the faculty are in the thick of development so you can get really well connected really quickly. I got several internships with the UN after my Masters which I did not take because the university hired me and paid me really well and I got consultancy work right after. All of my friends who went to LSE / SOAS has more trouble.
That being said, I would not do my Masters at Sussex, only IDS at Sussex. If you intend on going into Masters at Sussex wanting to be in touch with IDS, the two places are very independent and often do not coordinate. It is also much more inexpensive to live in Brighton (a great place) and the tuition is a lot less plus its very cheap and easy to visit London, I used to go every weekend. But there is no funding at Sussex or IDS so if you are looking to do a PhD good luck.

I have not read the forum but I applied for PhD in International Relations / Development Studies at:

- IHEID - got an email from Paola Eicher after inquiring about the status of my application said, "Your file is currently being assessed by the Admission Committee, thus is each of the department's professors. At the end of the February, they will decide on the final list of admitted candidates. Until, then we can not know which candidates have been selected. You may contact me on the 25 and I can see if I can get an anticipated approximate answer on your application."

- SOAS - nothing yet

IHEID is a top choice, but I can only go if they give full scholarship for four years as Geneva is more expensive than London to live in.  SOAS would be ideal for a PhD as its much more theoretical (would not go for a Masters if you want practical) but there is no funding. Unless you get ESRC grants.

Wisconsin-Madison just has whole departments dedicated to my research topic so I applied.

I also did my Masters at IDS at Sussex and it I think is way better than any universities based in London. The degree at IDS is more practical than what you will find at any unis in London and all of the faculty are in the thick of development so you can get really well connected really quickly. I got several internships with the UN after my Masters which I did not take because the university hired me and paid me really well and I got consultancy work right after. All of my friends who went to LSE / SOAS has more trouble.

That being said, I would not do my Masters at Sussex, only IDS at Sussex. If you intend on going into Masters at Sussex wanting to be in touch with IDS, the two places are very independent and often do not coordinate. It is also much more inexpensive to live in Brighton (a great place) and the tuition is a lot less plus its very cheap and easy to visit London, I used to go every weekend. But there is no funding at Sussex or IDS so if you are looking to do a PhD good luck.

Welcome sisi26!

Your post was so helpful thank you! I know Angie was accepted at IDS Sussex so I know your post will be even more helpful to her. I was accepted at SOAS but I applied quite early in November and got the decision at the end of December. Not sure how long Phd decisions take though

The email you got from Paola Eicher at IHEID is helpful too means decisions will be pretty much made by the end of Feb that's very good to know.

I think it will most likely affect your offers, especially the conditional offers. I mean they are admitting you based on the profile you presented and the degrees you said you will have upon graduation. Once admitted to be able to enroll they will ask from all of us certified copies of our credentials. I think dropping your minor will have an impact but I guess it will depend on the program if it is quantitative focused, if you emphasized your accounting backround or not. I would see it through if I could and finish the minor. Now if you really can't then drop the classes and hope for the best!

But I never talked about my accounting minor..in my letter of motivation, I mentioned how International Relation and Diplomacy along with Model UN classes helped me prepare to look into issues from different perspective. Similarly, I also clearly mentioned that I hope to be a diplomat. So, in my conditional letter, they clearly mentioned that I need a BA in three of my majors and they did not even mention about my Accounting minor. 

Status of application for IHEID just changed to "Under Consideration"! Somehow feel even jumpier now

I hear you.. i am in the same boat... But "Under Consideration" does not mean anything, is  it ? 

Edited by Curious_Grad

But I never talked about my accounting minor..in my letter of motivation, I mentioned how International Relation and Diplomacy along with Model UN classes helped me prepare to look into issues from different perspective. Similarly, I also clearly mentioned that I hope to be a diplomat. So, in my conditional letter, they clearly mentioned that I need a BA in three of my majors and they did not even mention about my Accounting minor. 

Well in that case I think it might not have that big of an impact but you should double check with admissions of the school with the conditional offer. You never know and you wouldn't want an offer being rescinded because of something like that.

- SOAS - nothing yet

Welcome sisi26!

Your post was so helpful thank you! I know Angie was accepted at IDS Sussex so I know your post will be even more helpful to her. I was accepted at SOAS but I applied quite early in November and got the decision at the end of December. Not sure how long Phd decisions take though

The email you got from Paola Eicher at IHEID is helpful too means decisions will be pretty much made by the end of Feb that's very good to know.

Hi Sisi26,

Good to see you here.  As Alchyna mentioned, I was recently admitted to the masters in Gender & Development at IDS. I have been pretty confused about three schools, IHEID, sciences Po, SOAS. Though now that you mention it, I am adding IDS to the list too. Ultimately funding is the deciding factor but still what do you think about Sciences Po for development? Plus IDS course electives are pretty great but isn't it more research focused? Apart from that, isn't a two years degree better than one?

Let me know your thoughts. Your post was amazingly helpful.

&

Yay! 15 more days for IHEID.

I hear you.. i am in the same boat... But "Under Consideration" does not mean anything, is  it ? 

Unfortunately not. It just means that they have begun processing the application, which is neither here nor there. Nothing to do but hope for the best now! Good luck to you :)

Hi Sisi26,

Good to see you here.  As Alchyna mentioned, I was recently admitted to the masters in Gender & Development at IDS. I have been pretty confused about three schools, IHEID, sciences Po, SOAS. Though now that you mention it, I am adding IDS to the list too. Ultimately funding is the deciding factor but still what do you think about Sciences Po for development? Plus IDS course electives are pretty great but isn't it more research focused? Apart from that, isn't a two years degree better than one?

Let me know your thoughts. Your post was amazingly helpful.

&

Yay! 15 more days for IHEID.

I actually did the Gender and Development degree at IDS! It was very good. Not perfect, but I think there will not be a school out there that is perfect. The program at IDS is not as research as you think. For example, you take a theoretical feminist courses in development, but also political courses about gender and development which is more practical AND an actual Doing Gender and Development course which is very good,  and more practical. The other courses are a bit mixed i.e. Impact Evaluation very practical, Participation courses are mixed. The idea is that the first semester is theoretical and the second is more practical. Balance works well.

I prefer one year because I have research interests in gender and agriculture with a case study, which I knew before and did not need the time during the Masters to explore as much. If that is the case with you than go for a one year, but if you really want to read widely than two years is better.

Unfortunately, I do not know about Sciences-Po. I have only heard complains about SOAS so I honestly would not choose there unless you reaaaaly want to live in London. And it is not a practical course at all.

Also, probably very differently than IHEID, SOAS is that people at IDS are the best  and make your experience that much more worthwhile. IDS is really small so you will get to know all of the faculty, students and the administrators are super invested in you. It was easy to get RA work on interesting, relevant topics because all of the Faculty are working as researchers first. That being said, it also means they are not the best teachers--sometimes busy, and they do not know how to design a powerpoint.

Most of all, the other students I would guess are twice as experienced at IDS than other students in other schools. I learnt most from my other colleagues about actually doing development and they knew who to talk to about jobs etc. So much so that now I am applying for PhDs and realize I am the only one who has worked in developing countries….and that is weird because at IDS I was the least experienced! It is a very non-competitive atmosphere and everyone is around the school all of the time so its quite a good community. 

Brighton is also pretty good.

Although I am seriously consider IHEID because of funding and Geneva is a good place to be connected. IDS will likely not have much money :(

Gah!!! Huge problem! :o 

Need some advice - So I submitted 4 references to Sciences Po (1 Academic and 3 Professional). My academic and one of my professional referees have still not submitted their recommendations for whatever reason. 

My professor is not replying to my emails - I wrote to the admissions office explaining my situation and attaching hard copies of both their letters. I can't really barge into their offices - because they are both in different countries.  :(

Have any of you faced a situation as such? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Big up to everyone who have received offer letters so far!  :)

After so much waiting, I got the admissible email.

I understand that this does not mean an admission offer. But will a candidate be rejected even the candidate has received the admissible email ?

Thanks

Yes Mic, the admissible mail only means that your documents were in place for them to consider your file for admission. Nevertheless goodluck. :) Edited by k_angie

Need some advice - So I submitted 4 references to Sciences Po (1 Academic and 3 Professional). My academic and one of my professional referees have still not submitted their recommendations for whatever reason. 

My professor is not replying to my emails - I wrote to the admissions office explaining my situation and attaching hard copies of both their letters. I can't really barge into their offices - because they are both in different countries.  :(

Thanks in advance!

Hey!

Okay first relax. Secondly, if you peek closer, ScPo mentions that for them to consider you for admission you only need two ACADEMIC references. Others are optional and even if they don't submit it the LORs, your file will be considered for admission if your other documents are in place. That said, I would like to suggest that you send a mail to the admissions office asking if two of your LORs will suffice or not.

Good luck :)

Thanks in advance!

To add to what angie just said, yes you only needed 2 references and it was clearly stated 2 academic references and professional references are optional. So I wouldn't worry about the extra professional reference not being submitted. However I wonder if not having a second academic reference will play against you. That is what most schools want professors who can attest to your academic capabilities. Did you already receive the 'admissible' email? or did you just submit? If they still do not reply I would write to admissions and explain it's your best option.

Why did you submit so many references anyways when you didn't have to? It's hard enough to keep up with 2 people you are asking to vouch for you, let alone 4!

Edited by alchyna

After so much waiting, I got the admissible email. 

I understand that this does not mean an admission offer. But will a candidate be rejected even the candidate has received the admissible email ?  

Thanks 

Yay mic! You are one step closer :-)

I've read previous forums where candidates who submitted everything got rejected at this stage. I think admissible means that not only did you submit all the documents but that you also meet the minimum requirements for admission. So for instance if your file is complete but your GPA is way to low you can be 'inadmissible'. And yes unfortunately lots of candidates do get rejected after receiving that email that is only a first filter if you will. Good luck!

Since I'm not very optimistic for my IHEID chances I'm crossing my fingers that you all join me in Paris :-)

I actually did the Gender and Development degree at IDS! It was very good. Not perfect, but I think there will not be a school out there that is perfect. The program at IDS is not as research as you think. For example, you take a theoretical feminist courses in development, but also political courses about gender and development which is more practical AND an actual Doing Gender and Development course which is very good,  and more practical. The other courses are a bit mixed i.e. Impact Evaluation very practical, Participation courses are mixed. The idea is that the first semester is theoretical and the second is more practical. Balance works well.

I prefer one year because I have research interests in gender and agriculture with a case study, which I knew before and did not need the time during the Masters to explore as much. If that is the case with you than go for a one year, but if you really want to read widely than two years is better.

Unfortunately, I do not know about Sciences-Po. I have only heard complains about SOAS so I honestly would not choose there unless you reaaaaly want to live in London. And it is not a practical course at all.

Also, probably very differently than IHEID, SOAS is that people at IDS are the best  and make your experience that much more worthwhile. IDS is really small so you will get to know all of the faculty, students and the administrators are super invested in you. It was easy to get RA work on interesting, relevant topics because all of the Faculty are working as researchers first. That being said, it also means they are not the best teachers--sometimes busy, and they do not know how to design a powerpoint.

Most of all, the other students I would guess are twice as experienced at IDS than other students in other schools. I learnt most from my other colleagues about actually doing development and they knew who to talk to about jobs etc. So much so that now I am applying for PhDs and realize I am the only one who has worked in developing countries….and that is weird because at IDS I was the least experienced! It is a very non-competitive atmosphere and everyone is around the school all of the time so its quite a good community. 

Brighton is also pretty good.

Although I am seriously consider IHEID because of funding and Geneva is a good place to be connected. IDS will likely not have much money :(

Wow! This is all really helpful :)

Though IDS sounds wonderful, they don't give out any scholarships as such and my acceptances are contingent on funding. Anyway I have applied for their scholarships. Now here's hoping for the best. Good luck for your results :)

Wow! This is all really helpful :)

Though IDS sounds wonderful, they don't give out any scholarships as such and my acceptances are contingent on funding. Anyway I have applied for their scholarships. Now here's hoping for the best. Good luck for your results :)

I am glad I could help. You are totally right about the funding at IDS it is a bad situation. BUT I did end up making enough money at the school by working in research for them to cover my tuition. So in a way I feel like I got a 10,000 pound RAship you know? But this is not guaranteed or anything.

Good luck I hope you get the funding.

Hey!

Okay first relax. Secondly, if you peek closer, ScPo mentions that for them to consider you for admission you only need two ACADEMIC references. Others are optional and even if they don't submit it the LORs, your file will be considered for admission if your other documents are in place. That said, I would like to suggest that you send a mail to the admissions office asking if two of your LORs will suffice or not.

Good luck :)

To add to what angie just said, yes you only needed 2 references and it was clearly stated 2 academic references and professional references are optional. So I wouldn't worry about the extra professional reference not being submitted. However I wonder if not having a second academic reference will play against you. That is what most schools want professors who can attest to your academic capabilities. Did you already receive the 'admissible' email? or did you just submit? If they still do not reply I would write to admissions and explain it's your best option.

Why did you submit so many references anyways when you didn't have to? It's hard enough to keep up with 2 people you are asking to vouch for you, let alone 4!

Yikes. Has everyone submitted two academic references? Any lone soul out there who has been different?

Well here's the thing - I left uni almost 4 years ago, so getting academic references has been quite a challenge. Besides, my professional references would attest my abilities better and their assessments are definitely more current. I spoke to a Sciences Po representative, M. Gilles Vernier, before making that move and he gave me the go ahead. Ofcourse there is always a huge chance that not having two but one academic reference and a low GPA will result in a devastating 'inadmissible' email. I haven't received anything on that front yet - just a 'your application is incomplete' email. I have already written to the admissions about the whole situation. Anyway I'm going to try and hassle the living daylights out of this professor! 

AH TIME OF THE SHITBALLS! fml

Hi Bonafide

Though I haven't applied to Sciences Po, in my application to IDS I provided only one academic reference. As with you I graduated 5 years back and getting one academic reference was all I could manage. Additionally I provided 2 professional references as well. So I don't think not having 2 academic references would make your application incomplete. But yeah you need to get that one academic reference in place. 

Good luck and hope your professor wakes up soon!

Well like both of you I graduated years ago but thankfully I still live in the same city where my university is located so I was able to get in touch with my old professors and by some miracle both of them remembered me and were happy to write me a recommendation.

When I applied to Sciences Po last November, I did provide 2 academic references but I also added like you a professional one because I felt that it reflects more my abilities today and the skills I have acquired since college years ago. My professional reference was able to highlight things about me an academic wouldn't be able to say from being in their class years ago a couple hours a week vs someone I worked for during several years. I do feel that the professional reference in my case gave me an edge and really helped me get accepted into Dev Practice. But thing is I did provide the 2 academic ones as well so I can't say for sure that the professional one could replace academics vouching for my ability to thrive in a classroom.

It can certainly give you an edge but I doubt it can replace it except when like us you've been out of undergrad for several years. Grad schools usually do make exceptions for students who have been out of schools for 5+ years to provide just one academic reference instead of 2. Do try to get that one submitted! You don't want that to be the reason to compromise your chances for admission it would be too bad.

Edited by alchyna

Just to add, not to be a downer, but I know someone who go the admissible mail from Sciences PO and then was rejected on his GPA later. I think admissible just means you met all the application requirements such as with the paperwork, recommendations, etc.

The only stipulation Sciences Po has about academic references is that it should not be from a language professor. The rest they are happy to look at, although only two are required.

Congrats to those receiving acceptance letters! 

Btw I am in Haiti and it is amazing so far!

Hey 

This information might not be useful for those who have already been admitted to Sciecnes Po. It might serve future applicants.

It is true that admissible is not equivalent to admission and will also be turned down at the later stage. However, the admissible mail means more than that you had submitted all the papers. 

I got a reply from SciencesPo :

You were sent an email yesterday confirming your pre-selection. 

You will now pass to the admission board who will announce a decision early March.

Also besides admissible, there is Admis which means admission. I forgot where I read it. But for undergraduate application in 2012, the admissible rate is 4X% and the admis is 3X%. There was a difference of 10 percentage points. 

So now more waiting. At least I know they are going to inform me in March, the same time as IHEID and Oxford. I am going to Mendoza, Argentina, a wine producing region in early March. If I am rejected by these three schools, I will get very drunk and stay there forever to produce my own wines. 

So now more waiting. At least I know they are going to inform me in March, the same time as IHEID and Oxford. I am going to Mendoza, Argentina, a wine producing region in early March. If I am rejected by these three schools, I will get very drunk and stay there forever to produce my own wines. 

Sounds like a plan. Do you have space for one more at your hypothetical vineyard? I don't know much about producing wine, but I'm pretty good at drinking it.

Hey 

This information might not be useful for those who have already been admitted to Sciecnes Po. It might serve future applicants.

It is true that admissible is not equivalent to admission and will also be turned down at the later stage. However, the admissible mail means more than that you had submitted all the papers. 

I got a reply from SciencesPo :

You were sent an email yesterday confirming your pre-selection. 

You will now pass to the admission board who will announce a decision early March.

Also besides admissible, there is Admis which means admission. I forgot where I read it. But for undergraduate application in 2012, the admissible rate is 4X% and the admis is 3X%. There was a difference of 10 percentage points. 

Lmao!! Mic you cracked me up!

Sounds like a plan ha ha... I want in too and I've always wanted to go to Argentina so I hope you have a spot for one more!

I don't drink wine so I will happily work on the producing and you and Mych can just go ahead and drink it :-)