International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Hi, I have a quick question. 

I was planning to wait and apply to IHEID next fall, but have just made the impromptu decision to apply for the Jan 15th deadline. I see that references will be contacted after application is processed and then asked to submit letters of rec. Do they need to submit those letters by the 15th? Or can I just submit my entire application by the 15th and then IHEID will contact those references after the fact? 

Sorry if this question has already been addressed! 

Cheers,

kara

Hi Kara!

Although these guys mentioned how the references need to be in place by 15th jan but usually they extend the deadline by one week for reccos I.e.

They did this last year. Though I don't about this year but still I would advice you to apply ASAP and get your referees to send in the letter by Jan 15th. Trust me you don't want the mess up later.

Hope this helps!

Okay so I just attended the IHEID info session.

I got to know that these guys received some 400 applications for interdisciplinary programmes. Out of those 60 of them were admitted while 180 deferred and others refused.

Only the beyond excellent students made it to the programme in this round. So well. Guess we weren't the excellent ones.

this doesn't make me feel good. :(

Oh angie good to know!

Thank you for attending that session... and there are how many spots again in interdisciplinary programs? That will give us an idea of how many spots remain keeping in mind that they admit more students than spots available.

And think of it this way about 160 applications were flat out rejected this round and this could have been us!

They have 60 seats in MDev and MIA programmes. Like approx!

They have taken admitted 30 students in each.

No wonder we could not find anyone who got in! 30 already admitted into Mdev is so little! So there are about 30 more spots... hmmm Ok I'm joining you in the "don't feel so good" club

Did they give any stats on the PhD programs?

Okay so I just attended the IHEID info session.

I got to know that these guys received some 400 applications for interdisciplinary programmes. Out of those 60 of them were admitted while 180 deferred and others refused.

Only the beyond excellent students made it to the programme in this round. So well. Guess we weren't the excellent ones.

this doesn't make me feel good. :(

Did they give any stats on the PhD programs?

Hi Kara!

Although these guys mentioned how the references need to be in place by 15th jan but usually they extend the deadline by one week for reccos I.e.

They did this last year. Though I don't about this year but still I would advice you to apply ASAP and get your referees to send in the letter by Jan 15th. Trust me you don't want the mess up later.

Hope this helps!

Hi - I was also wondering about this. To clarify - is there an e-mail address that our referees should send the letter to? I was also under the impression that they would be contacted by admissions to submit the letter. Thanks!

Hi - I was also wondering about this. To clarify - is there an e-mail address that our referees should send the letter to? I was also under the impression that they would be contacted by admissions to submit the letter. Thanks!

Hi Sarahjack

Okay so essentially yes they are going to send an automatic email with instructions to your referees asap you complete and submit your application form.

Earlier there was an email id one could use only if there was a problem with uploading of the lor. Though this year they removed it. In any case you can contact them at admission@graduateinstitute.ch for any doubts or problems.

Hope this helped. :)

Has anyone heard from Sciences Po MA Intl. Dev this cycle yet? 

Hi katpog,

I have heard back from Sciences Po and I believe a few others from Intel Dev have heard back too. I applied in mid November and got admitted into Dev Practice roughly a month after I received the 'admissible' email if that helps.

Thank you! That is very helpful. What are your thoughts on Sciences Po, are you planning on attending? I applied to 8 schools in the US and Sciences PO was my only European school, so I am weighing my options based on job market afterwards. I want to work in development for a non profit. 

Well I know that it's a very prestigious school in France and very well known in Europe. It doesn't have that big name recognition in the U.S  but social science academics know it of course. When I told my undergrad prof about going to school in Europe the only school he mentioned was Sciences Po. Besides if you want to work in development you will be working with people with international exposure who will know US/Euro schools very well so I don't think it would be a problem, unless you plan on coming right back to the U.S. to work then don't go to Europe. You will be competing for jobs with students fresh out of SIPA, SAIS, SIS etc... US employers are familiar with... but at least you will stand out!

I applied to 5 schools all in Europe mostly because of cost I mean let's face it is wayyy cheaper and also because I did undergrad in the US I think it's now time for a degree from another country to round up my international profile. I think PSIA is really great and one of the few programs where you can really customize your curriculum and it seems less academic than many other development programs. I want to learn professional skills now and be ready for the job market so Dev Practice was perfect for me. Not quite sure I will accept my place yet because I'm waiting on their funding decision and I'm also waiting to hear back from IHEID and LSE.

Edited by alchyna

That was all really good to hear. I talked to my undergrad econ dev prof and he said in his opinion LSE would outshine any US development program. I did speak to some friends who knew people doing their master's at LSE and heard that most professors are only willing to engage with PHD students and often send their graduate students to teach the masters students, not sure how true that is. It is also very independent study and that is what ultimately put me off. I learn best from working with my peers and I know Sciences Po's program is more engineered to work that way. I wish you the best of luck with LSE though, I know it is a standout program. I, like you, want to be taught practical skills now and go straight back into the development field. 

Thank you and good luck to you too!

Yes LSE is a good school but like you I have heard that the teaching is not that great and that you are pretty much left to fend for yourself so I guess what students told you is true. But you cannot deny that the world wide name recognition is an impressive thing to have on your resume. But for development I'm not sure LSE.is the place to be and the program is very academic with no internship component. Needless to say that I think the Sciences Po dev programs are more well rounded.even if LSE is the better school. Regardless I am still anxious to find out if I'm admitted or not it's nerve wrecking.

Yeah I got the link for the housing request and my request for accommodation was submitted . I am just wondering if all the applicants or only the admitted students get those housing link ?

I got the same e-mail, and I am not sure either. If you find out, please post the details here! I would love to know as well!

I got the same e-mail, and I am not sure either. If you find out, please post the details here! I would love to know as well!

Bluebird, if you check their website very carefully under Important Dates, it says, Admitted students are sent out accommodation link ..So I am not sure what to make up of this email..

Also, what programs did you apply for ?

How to Apply for a Place in the Student House

The procedure is simple: admitted students will received by email the link to the application form of the Edgar and Danièle de Picciotto Student House. The Housing Committee will then consider each application, using the documents submitted to the Admission Office, in particular with regards to academic results, the student’s country of origin and their financial situation.

Edited by Curious_Grad