International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Angie : Do you work there? Virtually, you know everything about the Institute. I am refreshing my email every 10 secs. 

alchyna : Where are you? Did you have any news?

I just woke up to an email from IHEID... POSTPONED to March... arghhhhh exactly what I didn't want! To think I rushed to apply to the Nov 15 deadline. What's the point of an early round then? It's upsetting but I guess it's better than a rejection...

I too received a mail from them. My application has been pushed for March.

So it's like I have been in almost all the stages; rejection, being pushed to March.

The only outcome left is being admitted. So well fingers crossed for that.

Though good news is, I got through SCIENCES PO.

OMG Angie that's great news!! Congratulations!

I just woke up to an email from IHEID... POSTPONED to March... arghhhhh exactly what I didn't want! To think I rushed to apply to the Nov 15 deadline. What's the point of an early round then? It's upsetting but I guess it's better than a rejection...

Exactly my line of thoughts. Have they even bloody taken anybody? Like seriously.

Mickun88 you are the only one who hasn't received it.

Shit....... it could also mean a rejection !!!!!!

If it was a rejection my thinking is you would have been notified first! before us postponements no? I still think its a great sign and you may be accepted in the first round!

Shit....... it could also mean a rejection !!!!!!

If it was a rejection my thinking is you would have been notified first! before us postponements no? I still think its a great sign and you may be accepted in the first round!

Like I said. Good sign. It will be so awesome if you get through the first round. :)

Thanks for your encouragement.... but the logic can function in either way. They could send out acceptances first, then postponements and rejections.... Or postponements then rejections then acceptacnes.... I dunno 

One more day of ordeal. Or Maybe one more hour....

Thanks for your encouragement.... but the logic can function in either way. They could send out acceptances first, then postponements and rejections.... Or postponements then rejections then acceptacnes.... I dunno 

One more day of ordeal. Or Maybe one more hour....

Im the most pessimistic person on the planet and even though I got a postponement and unlike Angie no word from Sciences Po I am not falling apart and still very hopeful! That's a miracle!

And I am sure not hearing back from them just yet in your case is a good sign...

Thanks so much for your kind words. I just cant focus on my work and on my thesis. 

at the moment just IHEID

I am preparing personal statements for Cambridge and Oxford.    The 2000-word essay is done. 

so they ask for 2 papers? Good thing I didnt even consider Oxbridge that personal statement was the hardest thing for me to write.

It depends on which programme. Oxford latin american studies asks for 2 while the MPP needs only one. 

I will spend my own xmas on them. 

btw.... it is now 37 C in Buenos Aires..... I am melting.....plus the anxiety that I have..... it could reach 50C inside me. 

I know the feeling its not that hot in Los Angeles only 27 C and I'm wondering what I will do until March!!! Not opening that page until then that is for sure! By the way Buenos Aires is on my bucket list it must be so beautiful there!

Either IHEID did not get that many applicants during the first round or they are playing it super safe and only admitting exceptional candidates... either way they should scrap that early round thing if every year they are going to push most applicants back to March. What's the point then?

Thanks so much for your kind words. I just cant focus on my work and on my thesis.

at the moment just IHEID

I am preparing personal statements for Cambridge and Oxford. The 2000-word essay is done.

I wanted to apply for the Mphil in Development Studies too at Oxford. Though it's more like academic and research oriented so I sorted dropped the plan. I am glad you completed the essays. Edited by k_angie

Though I might just apply for PhD so I was thinking that if i do, wont Oxford's MPhil be a good option? Idk what do you guys think?

I thought you didn't want to work in academia and were looking for a professional degree?

I thought you didn't want to work in academia and were looking for a professional degree?

yes i am but the thing is, I was looking into some UN websites for job profiles and eligibility criteria. What i came across is many organizations prefer either PhD in some field or 5-7 years of work exp. So well, hence I was thinking along those lines too.

Though frankly, Academia is NOT my cup of tea.  

yes i am but the thing is, I was looking into some UN websites for job profiles and eligibility criteria. What i came across is many organizations prefer either PhD in some field or 5-7 years of work exp. So well, hence I was thinking along those lines too.

Though frankly, Academia is NOT my cup of tea.  

I can guarantee you that field experience will get you those jobs eventually especially if you know yourself that academia is not what you want to be stuck in for 5+ years! Of course you have to pay your dues first and work your way up to that after years of experience.I can't wait to finish the masters and get to work there is no way I'm staying in school for several more years to do a PhD!

I can guarantee you that field experience will get you those jobs eventually especially if you know yourself that academia is not what you want to be stuck in for 5+ years! Of course you have to pay your dues first and work your way up to that after years of experience.I can't wait to finish the masters and get to work there is no way I'm staying in school for several more years to do a PhD!

While that is absolutely correct and I dread the possibility of PhD. Though I am most of times indecisive and hence wanted all bases covered. Does that make sense?

I guess I should just stick to my career driven degree option and not leap to other places. 

Edited by k_angie