International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Alchyna,

I did see the history programme and loved it. The thing is, when I took history in my undergrad it was basically cuz of my interest and it wasn't a career thought out decision. Hence I never wanted to pursue history academically. I still love history and read books or any article regarding it. Though it has always been about doing something along the lines of women empowerment and child rights.. So doing my MA in Dev studies is kind of step 1 in my plan.

K_angie

I totally understand your point of view and you are right it's probably the smart thing to do not to pick International History. At the graduate level you must have a clear career plan which like you I didn't have in undergrad, I just did Political Sciences because it was very interesting to me. I never thought about what I would do with that degree. This time around I have more clarity when it comes to career options. Where you want to focus on child rights I want to focus more on poverty reduction and women empowerment in Africa specifically.

hey all. 

Alchyna : Thank you very much for your advice and encouragement. To be honest, I am literally broke. Basically, without a full scholarship, I cannot afford to do the master, be it in London or Paris or wheresoever. I cannot produce any financial proof which says i have enough money to sustain my study so i cant apply for a student visa. According to the IHEID schalorship allocation criteria, they say that if the admitted student cannot attend the master due to financial difficulty, the Institute will provide scholarships (Given that the academic results are above average). So my only hope is IHEID and their scholarships. Regarding the renewal of scholarships, I have the concern as well. But from previous experience, those who did not have the scholarships at second year somehow managed to get other fundings like working at the Institute or external scholarships. Again, if someone maintains a good academic result, I think it is highly likely that the scholarships be renewed. 

Another reason for not applying for London schools is that, well it might sound a bit radical, I do not really want to study in English speaking countries. I am a language nerd (or geek maybe?) I will get bored speaking the same language for more than a year. i need to learn a new language constantly. I can learn German at Hertie and French at IHEID. 

Also, the courses at LSE and UCL are too short to really benefit a lot from the professors, interaction with fellow schoolmates and internship opportunities (Networking). 

K_angie : Yes. I am applying for 3 courses. i am particularly interested in the MPP cuz a rich HK businessman has donated a large sum of money to the MPP and every year 2 HK candidates can enjoy a full scholarship with stipends. If I am lucky enough to be admiitted, I do not have to worry about the money issue. But admission is highly competitive. 

5 more days to go. I sincerely hope that all of us will be accepted and offered a full scholarship. And in less than one year time, we will be chatting in Geneva, having picnic next to the Lake of Geneva, rather than on this FORUM. 

GOOD LUCK

You make very good points!

I was just talking about my concerns for actually providing proof that I can sustain my studies for 2 years to get the visa myself a few posts back. Without a scholarship I will not have enough to prove it either. That is a main concern, I think once in the program there is always a way to figure things out but it's the gettting there that is the hard part.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the one year Msc my concern is also if you do get much out of it in terms of internships and networking... 9 months is really short!

If you want to learn French then yes Paris or Geneva will help you a lot! I guess I didn't get out of my comfort zone... I considered St. Gallen for a quick second but the German language requirement discouraged me.

I truely hope your prediction comes true and we can all meet in Geneva! That would be so great!

Are we sure that we are most likely to hear on the 15th I mean it's a Sunday... I'm not so confident that I will even have a response on the 20th. They said they will start notifying applicants, right? It doesn't mean we will find out exactly that day.

I stalked the IHEID facebook and some online forums concering the notification dates (mainly the second round). Some people were notified even before the set notification date. I do not know if this is also applicable to this year. From my observation, stronger candidates tend to be notified earlier. (it is just my wild guess. It could be wrong. Cuz normally only accepted candidates posted good news on facebook and forums. Some rejected applicants might not have posted it.) 

I dunno. But I think there is possibility that we are notified as earlier as this Friday. But I am optimistic that they will notify us before 20th. Hahaha not even the hardworking Asians work on Sundays. I dont think there will be any news coming out on 15th.  

Dont worry !! we will be fine. We will have the most blissful Xmas ever. 

mickun,

I wish some of your optimism could rub off on me! Waiting is killing me I am very anxious to find out and as the date nears I get worried. Is there a Facebook page for this year's applicants or is it still too early for that for most applicants?

I stalked the IHEID facebook and some online forums concering the notification dates (mainly the second round). Some people were notified even before the set notification date. I do not know if this is also applicable to this year. From my observation, stronger candidates tend to be notified earlier. (it is just my wild guess. It could be wrong. Cuz normally only accepted candidates posted good news on facebook and forums. Some rejected applicants might not have posted it.) 

I dunno. But I think there is possibility that we are notified as earlier as this Friday. But I am optimistic that they will notify us before 20th. Hahaha not even the hardworking Asians work on Sundays. I dont think there will be any news coming out on 15th.  

Dont worry !! we will be fine. We will have the most blissful Xmas ever.

Another reason for not applying for London schools is that, well it might sound a bit radical, I do not really want to study in English speaking countries. I am a language nerd (or geek maybe?) I will get bored speaking the same language for more than a year. i need to learn a new language constantly. I can learn German at Hertie and French at IHEID. 

Also, the courses at LSE and UCL are too short to really benefit a lot from the professors, interaction with fellow schoolmates and internship opportunities (Networking). 

K_angie : Yes. I am applying for 3 courses. i am particularly interested in the MPP cuz a rich HK businessman has donated a large sum of money to the MPP and every year 2 HK candidates can enjoy a full scholarship with stipends. If I am lucky enough to be admiitted, I do not have to worry about the money issue. But admission is highly competitive. 

5 more days to go. I sincerely hope that all of us will be accepted and offered a full scholarship. And in less than one year time, we will be chatting in Geneva, having picnic next to the Lake of Geneva, rather than on this FORUM. 

GOOD LUCK

Wow, I am glad that you are so optimistic. As for decisions, they notify the ones rejected first. Like see I got my rejection on feb 27th while people who were accepted got theirs in march. Get it?

Also, yes i am definitely confident about this time and hope we get to have a picnic with tons of food next to lake geneva like you said mickun88.

Btw why didn't you apply for NUS? They have scholarships specific to HK ppl. Don't they? Also, you made some interesting points regarding the whole language thing. Same is for me. Come to think if it, I don't even know now as to why did I apply to those uk univs when even if I get through, I won't go there. Maybe SOAS. Idk. I am just waiting for Sciences Po and IHEID. I too wanted to learn a new language, exp the culture outside and stuff. I hope we get all our results before 25th with full scholarship ride.

mickun,

I wish some of your optimism could rub off on me! Waiting is killing me I am very anxious to find out and as the date nears I get worried. Is there a Facebook page for this year's applicants or is it still too early for that for most applicants?

K_angie

I totally understand your point of view and you are right it's probably the smart thing to do not to pick International History. At the graduate level you must have a clear career plan which like you I didn't have in undergrad, I just did Political Sciences because it was very interesting to me. I never thought about what I would do with that degree. This time around I have more clarity when it comes to career options. Where you want to focus on child rights I want to focus more on poverty reduction and women empowerment in Africa specifically.

Last year they made the IHEID applicants page after releasing the first round results so that the people who have been admitted can talk n get to know each other plus the ones applying in the second round can get their queries cleared. This is because, the institute goes on a Christmas new year break till jan 5th or something

Yes Alchyna exactly my point. Plus most if them go on doing their PhDs and take up academic posts. I am not made out for that, I mean the whole research and academic deal. Hence the choice for these masters

Edited by k_angie

Came across this thread while freaking out about when I would hear back from IHEID and it's answered a few questions that I had, so thanks. Glad to find others in the same boat (well not glad, just reassuring). I've applied for the International Affairs program at IHEID, though I know the chances of me getting in are very slim. Despite this, I'm hopeful and won't stop freaking out until I find out the decision.

Came across this thread while freaking out about when I would hear back from IHEID and it's answered a few questions that I had, so thanks. Glad to find others in the same boat (well not glad, just reassuring). I've applied for the International Affairs program at IHEID, though I know the chances of me getting in are very slim. Despite this, I'm hopeful and won't stop freaking out until I find out the decision.

Welcome doublebarrel,

We're all here supporting one another it helps to know other people are waiting just as anxiously as you are. What other programs did you apply to?

Welcome doublebarrel,

We're all here supporting one another it helps to know other people are waiting just as anxiously as you are. What other programs did you apply to?

Well last year I was accepted into USC, UC Irvine and Pepperdine for Public Policy but I deferred entry because I wanted to see if I could get into IHEID and because I want more scholarship money/want to save up more money.

I don't really want to study in the UK. I've lived here for most of my life and I'm bored of it so I'm definitely looking abroad. I'll probably apply to universities in Germany, Belgium, Sweden and maybe France this year. While I do like the US universities, cost has made Europe look much more attractive. Also, the opportunity to learn another language helps.

Well last year I was accepted into USC, UC Irvine and Pepperdine for Public Policy but I deferred entry because I wanted to see if I could get into IHEID and because I want more scholarship money/want to save up more money.

I don't really want to study in the UK. I've lived here for most of my life and I'm bored of it so I'm definitely looking abroad. I'll probably apply to universities in Germany, Belgium, Sweden and maybe France this year. While I do like the US universities, cost has made Europe look much more attractive. Also, the opportunity to learn another language helps.

Those are really good schools! I live in Southern California so I'm very familiar with USC and Pepperdine in particular.

For me it's the same thing but in reverse... I've lived in the US for 10 years now and did my undergrad here so I'm looking forward to moving abroad. And like you cost of US universities was really a major factor in my decision to not even bother with the GRE. Yes some of the best programs are in the US but geez unless you are pursuing a very lucrative degree it doesn't make sense to get 80K+ in debt for a development related degree. I'm being realistic and not planning to make tons of money upon graduation and I don't want the debt to be a factor in what job I pursue because I have crushing bills to pay.

I wish IHEID had an options for deferral too that would be great especially if a student doesn't get a scholarship and needs more time to save up.

Edited by alchyna

I wish IHEID had an options for deferral too that would be great especially if a student doesn't get a scholarship and needs more time to save up.

It did till last year. I know two ppl from my college who deferred last year in order to gain more exp. it's only this time have they added the clause of certain major reasons you can defer upon.

Those are really good schools! I live in Southern California so I'm very familiar with USC and Pepperdine in particular.

For me it's the same thing but in reverse... I've lived in the US for 10 years now and did my undergrad here so I'm looking forward to moving abroad. And like you cost of US universities was really a major factor in my decision to not even bother with the GRE. Yes some of the best programs are in the US but geez unless you are pursuing a very lucrative degree it doesn't make sense to get 80K+ in debt for a development related degree. I'm being realistic and not planning to make tons of money upon graduation and I don't want the debt to be a factor in what job I pursue because I have crushing bills to pay.

Yeah I totally agree. I was really looking forward to moving to SoCal but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to broaden my options. Plus, living in Geneva would be amazing. 

Since you live in London you can give me your opinion on UK schools

What do you think of LSE for development studies? I applied for Development Management as a 1st option and Dev Studies as a second. I considered the MPA but it's so rigid, quant focused and with no intership for a 2 year program and the price! The name recognition is undeniable even if their strenght is in Economics.

What about SOAS? I know they are reputed for their Dev Studies department but I've heard that the university as a whole is in a free fall in terms of quality and ranking. The main reason I am going back to school is to gain employment so I'm concerned as to whether it's still considered a serious program.

UCL - I was accepted to the International Public Policy program. I have come to find out that UCL is a really good school in the UK but I mean no one has heard of it on this side of the world. I find that quite strange.

I'm curious to read your thoughts on those schools!

It did till last year. I know two ppl from my college who deferred last year in order to gain more exp. it's only this time have they added the clause of certain major reasons you can defer upon.

Oh I didn't know that. I guess students abused it? Maybe thats why they changed the rules.

Oh I didn't know that. I guess students abused it? Maybe thats why they changed the rules.

Maybe! It's quite possible. Anyway I just received my acceptance offer from Univ of Bristol for International Development.

@thedoublebarrel, do you have any idea about the univ? I just applied for the kicks. Now I am thinking should I keep it as my safety school? I mean is it worth it?

Since you live in London you can give me your opinion on UK schools

What do you think of LSE for development studies? I applied for Development Management as a 1st option and Dev Studies as a second. I considered the MPA but it's so rigid, quant focused and with no intership for a 2 year program and the price! The name recognition is undeniable even if their strenght is in Economics.

What about SOAS? I know they are reputed for their Dev Studies department but I've heard that the university as a whole is in a free fall in terms of quality and ranking. The main reason I am going back to school is to gain employment so I'm concerned as to whether it's still considered a serious program.

UCL - I was accepted to the International Public Policy program. I have come to find out that UCL is a really good school in the UK but I mean no one has heard of it on this side of the world. I find that quite strange.

I'm curious to read your thoughts on those schools!

Well LSE is a great school and has a great brand so going there is a no brainer. The students there are considered pretty stuck up though, but that's at undergrad level. Nobody in the University of London system likes LSE students at undergrad level so that might be something to think about.

SOAS is pretty atrocious. I would avoid it just because it's nowhere near what it used to be.

UCL is a very well regarded school in Europe and Asian but you're right, it's not well known in the States. In recent years it's been ranked very highly in the world rankings, which I can't seem to understand because it's not that good a school. I'm biased because I went to a rival school. UCL is best known for the sciences and so is my school. They both own the medical schools for 2 of the UK's biggest hospitals so I'm hardwired to hate UCL. But being objective, I would say the reason they're not known much in the US is because they're not as good as they and the rankings think they are. They're one of the best schools in the UK but for all the hype, they could be much better.

Maybe! It's quite possible. Anyway I just received my acceptance offer from Univ of Bristol for International Development.

@thedoublebarrel, do you have any idea about the univ? I just applied for the kicks. Now I am thinking should I keep it as my safety school? I mean is it worth it?

Don't know much about Bristol but I have a friend who just started his undergrad there and he really enjoys it. Also it's pretty close to Wales so you could always go and enjoy the fresh air of Wales during the weekend if you need to unwind lol. Bristol is well respected and very research heavy so it sounds like a good safety.

Well LSE is a great school and has a great brand so going there is a no brainer. The students there are considered pretty stuck up though, but that's at undergrad level. Nobody in the University of London system likes LSE students at undergrad level so that might be something to think about.

SOAS is pretty atrocious. I would avoid it just because it's nowhere near what it used to be..

Really? I heard the opposite. I mean how LSE is falling down while SOAS is much better.

Don't know much about Bristol but I have a friend who just started his undergrad there and he really enjoys it. Also it's pretty close to Wales so you could always go and enjoy the fresh air of Wales during the weekend if you need to unwind lol. Bristol is well respected and very research heavy so it sounds like a good safety.

Okay great. :) This helps. Now only if Bristol may kindly give me scholarship too, it would be awesome. Let's see. Thanks anyway!

Congratualtions! I'm happy you have a safety net too!

Really? I heard the opposite. I mean how LSE is falling down while SOAS is much better.

Okay great. :) This helps. Now only if Bristol may kindly give me scholarship too, it would be awesome. Let's see. Thanks anyway!

Thank you for your opinion doublebarrel! You are our defacto UK consultant ha ha ha

I have heard the same thing doublebarrel mentionned that SOAS is really bad! But that still somehow held on to their good rep in Commonwealth countries. Is this possibly why you have a different impression angie? I even read that the buildings are so old and not taken care of and falling apart because they don't have the financial means to renovate. That is not a good sign for world renowned university.

My top choice in London is LSE even if SOAS's curriculum in dev is pretty strong.

The negative thing I've heard about LSE is how they use their good reputation and huge fees as a "degree factory". Like every university some degrees are stronger than others but LSE has a huge number of random programs that don't amount to much and were put together hastily.

As for UCL I'm more into Development related issues than public policy so this program will remain a safety net for me if all else fails.

I see that decisions are trickling in and we will have major choices to make soon. I hope everyone will stick around this thread even after you hear from IHEID and post your decisions (good or bad) I might need some serious cheering up you guys. :-/

Edited by alchyna

Haha you're welcome. LSE is really a specialist university with a few good degrees and the rest are just random just to justify the title of university.

I really hate the waiting. Does anyone know the criteria they use to pick applicants? I think I read it somewhere but I don't remember where. This is more to persuade myself that I still have a chance of getting in lol

I'm going to take a wild guess here but I think angie can answer better than I do since she knows IHEID better.

But my guess is that it's a whole package?

-Academics of course your grades and the relevant courses you have taken I mean if you have a degree in Linguistics or French for instance even with a perfect GPA I doubt it sets you up for an International Affairs Masters.

-Your international exposure I think also matters? Have you traveled outside of your country and been exposed to different experiences. Will you be confortable moving to a new place and adapt quickly.

-Languages spoken. I think IHEID puts a lot of emphasis on the number of languages spoken. I read an article about last year's incoming class and it was mentioned students on average spoke 4-5 languages. I remember because I thought oh wow there is no way I'm getting into that school!

-Work experience. I think they say on the website that they look at academics first but your other achievements can complement your application and I assume they want candidates who know what career they want to achieve. It's a good plus to have internships and work experience under your belt.

-LORs. I think those can make or break you and every school looks at that if they are on the fence about a student. What your referees have to say about you can be a huge boost as long as it's not the basic 'so and so was a good student'

-Your statement of purpose. This is also a make or break piece of the application. This is where you can stand out from other applicants.