International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Congratualtions! I'm happy you have a safety net too!

Thank you :)

Though I hardly think of it as a safety nets the living costs of living in uk n the fees is outrageous. Plus they haven't mentioned any funding opportunities yet.

I have heard the same thing doublebarrel mentionned that SOAS is really bad! But that still somehow held on to their good rep in Commonwealth countries. Is this possibly why you have a different impression angie? .

I see that decisions are trickling in and we will have major choices to make soon. I hope everyone will stick around this thread even after you hear from IHEID and post your decisions (good or bad) I might need some serious cheering up you guys. :-/

Alchyna yeah I guess so. I mean about the whole SOAS thing. LSE of course has more rep but i really am not fan of its curricula. While SOAS has a pretty good one.

I really hate the waiting. Does anyone know the criteria they use to pick applicants? I think I read it somewhere but I don't remember where. This is more to persuade myself that I still have a chance of getting in lol

I'm going to take a wild guess here but I think angie can answer better than I do since she knows IHEID better.

But my guess is that it's a whole package?

-Academics of course your grades and the relevant courses you have taken I mean if you have a degree in Linguistics or French for instance even with a perfect GPA I doubt it sets you up for an International Affairs Masters.

-Your international exposure I think also matters? Have you traveled outside of your country and been exposed to different experiences. Will you be confortable moving to a new place and adapt quickly.

-Languages spoken. I think IHEID puts a lot of emphasis on the number of languages spoken. I read an article about last year's incoming class and it was mentioned students on average spoke 4-5 languages. I remember because I thought oh wow there is no way I'm getting into that school!

-Work experience. I think they say on the website that they look at academics first but your other achievements can complement your application and I assume they want candidates who know what career they want to achieve. It's a good plus to have internships and work experience under your belt.

-LORs. I think those can make or break you and every school looks at that if they are on the fence about a student. What your referees have to say about you can be a huge boost as long as it's not the basic 'so and so was a good student'

-Your statement of purpose. This is also a make or break piece of the application. This is where you can stand out from other applicants.

Haha, yeah I freaking read their website like my life depends on it. Kinda does. Anyway yes you are absolutely right about the points you mentioned above Alchyna. The only thing is they look for is good academics, statement of motivation and finally LORs. Others are imp, complimentary not as such compulsory.

And yes Alchyna, we are going to be there if something goes wrong. Rather for anyone. Hope you guys do the same for me. I really won't be able to handle any more rejection from IHEID. Period.

Thanks Angie for clarifying the notification date ! 

I share with alchyna´s view on the things that IHEID is looking for. I once sent my CV to an admission staff for a pre-assessment. He told me that the Institute looked for : knowledge of a series of languages, good international exposure and experience abroad, solid extra curricular activities and degrees from excellent universities (in his wordings). Also the Personal Statement should : In any case you should stress in your application letter your specific motivation to join this programme and how it fits into your overall career plan/what is the aim you seek to achieve by pursuing this degree (in his wordings). 

About the language thing, it might be not that common for native English speakers to speak various languages. But for non-native English speakers, it is sth very normal. Say Spanish speakers (in Argentina particularly) in South America can normally speak Portuguese and of course English. People from China can speak Mandarin, their own dialect and English (very often Japanese or Korean as well). Due to similarity, Europeans can usually speak various european languages. My italian and french classmates can speak Spanish, Portuguese, English and or course their own mother languages which are Italian and French respectively. Malaysians and Singaporeans can also speak huge amount of languages at ease. 

I speak French (my first language) and English fluently. I understand Spanish pretty well but I never really practice so expressing myself is harder. I also understand my native language spoken mainy in West Africa but barely these days since I got no one to practice with... I guess that's 4 but it's a stretch!

Mickun... one point you mentioned about contacting admission for pre-screening is interesting. They do look at what university you are coming from in undergrad. I was reading a thread recently where posters were going back and forth about whether the undergraduate prestige of your school matters or not. Some said it did other said your grades matter more. I tend to agree that a undergrad from let's say Oxford or Harvard will have priority over an undergrad from an obscure small public university no one has heard of... Even my professor told me this since he has been part of admission committees at my university for the Political Science dept. I asked what did they look at to choose applicants. First thing he said is GPA and what school you came from...thoughts everyone?

It is true that on their website, it says clearly that good academics, statement of motivation and LORs are the most important. Others are complimentary not as such compulsory. 

But my humble opinion is that it is very impressive to achieve a first class honors or Summa Cum Laude. But most of the applicants have it. So even if you have such excellent academic results, you do not really stand out from the group.  Everyone has equal amount of time for preparing the personal statement.  Everyone writes more or less the same thing with more or less the same career goal, like working for the UN, IOs, NGOs, Foreign service ,changing the world etc. LORS are usuallly written by the professors with whom you have a good relation. They write the same thing basically. excellent student, intelligent outgoing contribution to the society etc. Unless you can think of an extremely imaginative way to write your personal statement and you have a president or Nobel Prize winner or someone prestigious in the field to write the LORS for you, otherwise, the application files of most candidates are more or less the same.  

Therefore, the only way to differentiate stronger candidates and the relatively weaker ones will lay on languages, professional exp and internaitonal exposure. 

How do you guys think? It is open for debate.   

It is true that on their website, it says clearly that good academics, statement of motivation and LORs are the most important. Others are complimentary not as such compulsory. 

But my humble opinion is that it is very impressive to achieve a first class honors or Summa Cum Laude. But most of the applicants have it. So even if you have such excellent academic results, you do not really stand out from the group.  Everyone has equal amount of time for preparing the personal statement.  Everyone writes more or less the same thing with more or less the same career goal, like working for the UN, IOs, NGOs, Foreign service ,changing the world etc. LORS are usuallly written by the professors with whom you have a good relation. They write the same thing basically. excellent student, intelligent outgoing contribution to the society etc. Unless you can think of an extremely imaginative way to write your personal statement and you have a president or Nobel Prize winner or someone prestigious in the field to write the LORS for you, otherwise, the application files of most candidates are more or less the same.  

Therefore, the only way to differentiate stronger candidates and the relatively weaker ones will lay on languages, professional exp and internaitonal exposure. 

I think you make excellent points (and I'm dying inside as I read them). My biggest concern are my grades. I made the mistake of taking a Russian history class and that dragged down my final grade. If I hadn't taken it, I probably would have gotten a first. I'm just hoping that they see the well-rounded student I am (or can be). I also don't have any experience in the IR field because it's so hard to do get any sort of political experience in the UK if you're a minority and not a politics major.

Though I hardly think of it as a safety nets the living costs of living in uk n the fees is outrageous. Plus they haven't mentioned any funding opportunities yet.

I agree about the fees they are really the highest in the UK however for the living costs... Geneva is no better! I would think Bristol is more affordable than London.

You are right however there are nuances. Like I said graduating summa cum laude from Harvard is not the same as graduating summa cum laude from some small state school. Guess who will be selected first regardless?

Professional exp like you said can be the same thing everyone tries to intern for an NGO or IO so how do they differentiate that? Again prestige of the institution will again play a part.

I think international exposure is the wild card here, life experiences and such no one has the same thing.

doublebarrel, you shouldn't worry so much since I don't really have any experience in the IR field either my work experience is from a totally unrelated field. I kind of tried to spin it by saying that I will bring transferable skills to the table and will be able to contribute in different ways from cookie cutter IR applicants.

True. There is no doubt that presitge of the uni plays a crucial role. Luckily, there are not many applicants from these prestigious schools with outrageously high GPA. Also, IHEID wants diversity. They won´t just accept students from prestigious English speaking universities.  

I dunno if I am the only person who does this. If you go to IHEID Facebook page, you can easily find the facebook of their students. If you google their name + IHEID+Linkedin, they usually appear in Linkedin. So you can know the background of their students. 

I would say more than 70% of their students go straight to grad school after their BA. They usually had some internship exp during their undergrad studies. Also they usually had very high GPA, dean list, Summa Cum Laude etc. 

The rest usually had 1 or 2 years of exp in relevant fields either in institutions or in the field in developing countries. It seems that this group of students was not as academically excellent as their fresh grad counterparts. 

A number of students already had a master degree. 

About which schools they come from, many were unknown to me. I am not saying they are not good. It is just because it is impossiblt to know all unis in the world. I needed the help of Wiki. Usually those are very good regional and national schools. There were students from Oxbridge, harvard or Yale. But they accounted for a very small percentage. i have once seen a CV. Harvard with very high GPA, several languages and exp in the field. But i believe that it was an exceptional case. 

Mickun!!!

I thought I was a weirdo for doing that!

I too went on facebook on the student group page to look at current IHEID students. But I didn't go as far as cheking people's Linkedin.

Good to know that there is a large variety of students. I'm a bit reassured to know that because I am in the 'unusual' category not the 'exceptional' one lol

But its not a good sign for me if they favor straight out of undergrad that is my main concern I'm way past my undergrad years.

First thing he said is GPA and what school you came from...thoughts everyone?

, the application files of most candidates are more or less the same.  Therefore, the only way to differentiate stronger candidates and the relatively weaker ones will lay on languages, professional exp and internaitonal exposure. 

U guys bring out some interesting points. I think those 3 things mentioned on their website is like a minimum criteria for them to consider the application file. Though later, to choose applicants, I am sure they must look for prof exp, international exposure as well languages and which school the person comes from. Definitely, I am sure they would have their opinions about a guy from oxford then let's say some other unknown college. Having said that, I do believe they look for diversity as pointed out by mickun. So, even if we aren't from such great schools, that doesn't mean we don't stand a chance at all.

I agree about the fees they are really the highest in the UK however for the living costs... Geneva is no better! I would think Bristol is more affordable than London.

Yes it's less expensive than London but the tuition is like 14500 pounds while the modest living exp is like 10000 pounds a year. It means some real sh*t money. I am thinking to apply for their options of funding. Anyway, how will you fund your UCL studies? Secured scholarship?

You are right however there are nuances. Like I said graduating summa cum laude from Harvard is not the same as graduating summa cum laude from some small state school. Guess who will be selected first regardless?

Professional exp like you said can be the same thing everyone tries to intern for an NGO or IO so how do they differentiate that? Again prestige of the institution will again play a part.

I think international exposure is the wild card here, life experiences and such no one has the same thing.

doublebarrel, you shouldn't worry so much since I don't really have any experience in the IR field either my work experience is from a totally unrelated field. I kind of tried to spin it by saying that I will bring transferable skills to the table and will be able to contribute in different ways from cookie cutter IR applicants.

I like the point you mentioned about bringing diff skills to the table. As long as you can put your point across and link your exp with your master preference, then there won't be a problem.

True. There is no doubt that presitge of the uni plays a crucial role. Luckily, there are not many applicants from these prestigious schools with outrageously high GPA. Also, IHEID wants diversity. They won´t just accept students from prestigious English speaking universities.  

I dunno if I am the only person who does this. If you go to IHEID Facebook page, you can easily find the facebook of their students. If you google their name + IHEID+Linkedin, they usually appear in Linkedin. So you can know the background of their students. 

I would say more than 70% of their students go straight to grad school after their BA. They usually had some internship exp during their undergrad studies. Also they usually had very high GPA, dean list, Summa Cum Laude etc. 

The rest usually had 1 or 2 years of exp in relevant fields either in institutions or in the field in developing countries. It seems that this group of students was not as academically excellent as their fresh grad counterparts. 

A number of students already had a master degree. 

About which schools they come from, many were unknown to me. I am not saying they are not good. It is just because it is impossiblt to know all unis in the world. I needed the help of Wiki. Usually those are very good regional and national schools. There were students from Oxbridge, harvard or Yale. But they accounted for a very small percentage. i have once seen a CV. Harvard with very high GPA, several languages and exp in the field. But i believe that it was an exceptional case.

Mickun!!!

I too went on facebook on the student group page to look at current IHEID students. But I didn't go as far as cheking people's Linkedin.

Good to know that there is a large variety of students. I'm a bit reassured to know that because I am in the 'unusual' category not the 'exceptional' one lol

But its not a good sign for me if they favor straight out of undergrad that is my main concern I'm way past my undergrad years.

I did the same, I mean the whole linkedin and fb jazz. Made me feel like a crazy stalker first :P. Plus I interacted with the current students via email before applying this time to get their opinions for letter of motivation as well as know their experiences. They absolutely love it. One of my friend just asked me to come to institute without considering any other choice just for the sake of the faculty they have there.

Also, the average age is 26 like I mentioned before, but then it differs across diff programmes. Though I came across even mothers doing their MA and moving with their toddlers and husbands to geneva. So relax :)

U guys bring out some interesting points. I think those 3 things mentioned on their website is like a minimum criteria for them to consider the application file. Though later, to choose applicants, I am sure they must look for prof exp, international exposure as well languages and which school the person comes from. Definitely, I am sure they would have their opinions about a guy from oxford then let's say some other unknown college. Having said that, I do believe they look for diversity as pointed out by mickun. So, even if we aren't from such great schools, that doesn't mean we don't stand a chance at all.

Yes it's less expensive than London but the tuition is like 14500 pounds while the modest living exp is like 10000 pounds a year. It means some real sh*t money. I am thinking to apply for their options of funding. Anyway, how will you fund your UCL studies? Secured scholarship?

I don't quite know yet how I would finance UCL... tuition is no better than LSE or SOAS I think it's around 16,000 pounds. But they do have a graduate scholarship scheme I can apply to that encompasses different types of scholarships. You only need to submit one application for most of their scholarships and if one applies to you then you will be notified. I am waiting for at least a response from IHEID before applying because the process is a pain. I would need yet a new reference just for the scholarship. I don't see the point of bothering my referees unless I really plan to take UCL's offer.

Contacting current IHEID students was a very smart thing to do. I'm sure they gave you valuable tips for your application this time around! I tried once but got not response so I left it at that.

We talk a lot about Geneva but when do you estimate we should here anything from Sciences Po? Early Jan or much later?

Edited by alchyna

It's supposedly 40 days or 3 weeks after you receive the admissible mail. As of now there is nothing from them so well no clue. Plus I thought if writing to admissions, but my prior experiences have taught me lesson well enough about their administration. I will write them if by dec end there is nothing from their side,

Edited by k_angie

Mickun!!!

I am not sure if they really favor fresh graduate students. For the MDev, I think this phenomenon would be because of the fact that those with exp in the field applied for other schools instead of IHEID. They may apply for MPP and some executive masters.  

To be very honest, if you have some years of exp working in the field in developingncountries (not internships at office or very short term stay in developing countries), you will find the MDev courses kind of not very practical or not that useful for upgrading your knowledge and skills. You can learn way more in 1 year  by talking to the people in the slums, NGOs workers and govermemt officials and carrying out your own development projects in the field than taking the 2 year MDev. 

Sometimes I just wonder if a candidate from a developed country going straight to this MDev after his BA, does he/she really understand what poverty is and the real situation of those living in slums, being marginalized and excluded? 

I think because of this, Uni of Sussex requires a minimum of 1 year exp in development countries as an admission condition. By the way, no one has mentioned Sussex here. As a uni itself, it is not very prestigious. But when it comes to Development programmes, according to some practitioners, it is comparable to Oxford. They say Oxford is good at thoeries and Sussex is very practical. Sussex development masters have the longest history in the UK.  

Edited by mickun88

I am not sure if they really favor fresh graduate students. For the MDev, I think this phenomenon would be because of the fact that those with exp in the field applied for other schools instead of IHEID. They may apply for MPP and some executive masters.  

To be very honest, if you have some years of exp working in the field in developingncountries (not internships at office or very short term stay in developing countries), you will find the MDev courses kind of not very practical or not that useful for upgrading your knowledge and skills. You can learn way more in 1 year  by talking to the people in the slums, NGOs workers and govermemt officials and carrying out your own development projects in the field than taking the 2 year MDev. 

Sometimes I just wonder if a candidate from a developed country going straight to this MDev after his BA, does he/she really understand what poverty is and the real situation of those living in slums, being marginalized and excluded? 

I think because of this, Uni of Sussex requires a minimum of 1 year exp in development countries as an admission condition. By the way, no one has mentioned Sussex here. As a uni itself, it is not very prestigious. But when it comes to Development programmes, according to some practitioners, it is comparable to Oxford. They say Oxford is good at thoeries and Sussex is very practical. Sussex development masters have the longest history in the UK.

Well idk about the developed country citizens. Though, having lived in a developing nation all my life, I really know some of the grave issues plaguing the country. Though, yes, I haven't actually experienced it, the stark poverty or something. But then I do have a closer look of the scenario.

That said, I also applied to gender and development course at Sussex.

I am aware of Sussex and I considered applying but I don't meet the 1 year developement experience requirement... I thought it was 2 actually? I hear IDS is a great program and it's actually a standalone institute affiliated to Sussex.

I get what you are saying about people from more developed countries not understanding what working in development actually will be like. Some imagine traveling a lot but it won't always be in the more 'glamourous' countries like Brazil for instance or in some fancy headquarter office... at least not at first!

But where I strongly disagree with you is when  you say students from developed countries don't understand what poverty is. Poverty strikes everywhere and some of the poorest people living in horrible conditions do also live in countries like the US this is not an exclusivity left to Central Asian or African countries. I am from Africa and I've lived there for quite some time but like angie in India,  I am fortunate enough not to have experienced poverty to that degree. The difference I guess is that I am more aware of what goes on and what it is like to live in a country where having power and running water all day is sadly still a luxury.

Angie applied to every good European school and makes me think I should have sent out more applications.... I am second guessing my choices!

It's supposedly 40 days or 3 weeks after you receive the admissible mail. As of now there is nothing from them so well no clue. Plus I thought if writing to admissions, but my prior experiences have taught me lesson well enough about their administration. I will write them if by dec end there is nothing from their side,

Well if your prediction is correct it will have been 3 weeks next week since I received the admissible email. I think 40 days is more correct I doubt we will hear anything from Sciences Po in December.

. The difference I guess is that I am more aware of what goes on and what it is like to live in a country where having power and running water all day is sadly still a luxury.

Angie applied to every good European school and makes me think I should have sent out more applications.... I am second guessing my choices!

I know the water and electricity thing. There are places where people get water just once a week and I swear you don't want to see the fight over tankers and other things. It scares the life out of you. Makes you understand that nothing is granted and you appreciate tons of things.

Don't second guess anything. I had reason to do so n I told you why. Anyway I just received an offer from Kings College London for MSc Env & Development.

When will IHEID and Sciences Po be out? :/

Well if your prediction is correct it will have been 3 weeks next week since I received the admissible email. I think 40 days is more correct I doubt we will hear anything from Sciences Po in December.

Exactly my line of thought. Sigh I need to send the professional project ASAP. I was so happy I was done with Sciences Po application.

I know the water and electricity thing. There are places where people get water just once a week and I swear you don't want to see the fight over tankers and other things. It scares the life out of you. Makes you understand that nothing is granted and you appreciate tons of things.

Don't second guess anything. I had reason to do so n I told you why. Anyway I just received an offer from Kings College London for MSc Env & Development.

When will IHEID and Sciences Po be out? :/

Offers are starting to pour in for you Bristol now KCL!! Congratulations Angie! We might not picnic by lake Geneva after all we might have to do something by the Tames river ha ha ha... but I'm still crossing my fingers for Geneva!!

A couple more days... I have to confess I've been checking all my applications everyday still. My guess is they will start notifying early next week since the week after the 20th is Christmas break. You mentioned they notified rejected students first last year.. boy I'm hoping we find out our fates later in the week!!

Hope you were able to put together your professional project. Im sure it will be fine after all it's kind of the same things mentioned in an SOP.

Edited by alchyna

Angie, I think we'll hear back from IHEID in two or three days. So anxious. Do you still check your online status everyday?

Nope I somehow reduced to once in two days. Boy I am scared. What about you?

Offers are starting to pour in for you Bristol now KCL!! Congratulations Angie! We might not picnic by lake Geneva after all we might have to do something by the Tames river ha ha ha... but I'm still crossing my fingers for Geneva!!

A couple more days... I have to confess I've been checking all my applications everyday still. My guess is they will start notifying early next week since the week after the 20th is Christmas break. You mentioned they notified rejected students first last year.. boy I'm hoping we find out our fates later in the week!!

Hope you were able to put together your professional project. Im sure it will be fine after all it's kind of the same things mentioned in an SOP.

Though I need to apply for funding cuz without it, I won't be able to go. So yeah. Also IHEID is on my mind and soul. I think we should be notified, I mean starting and all by Monday.

Yes I know what I have to write in my professional project. Just need 2-3 hrs to form a coherent structure. Thanks for all the help :)