International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Well idk, whoever I came across for getting into the field of developemnt. They never mentioned lse and asked me not to look for the 1 year courses. And if I had no choice, even then too people suggested SOAS not LSE. Idk let's see. Hope it works out. Last year they started to give results from 10th even though their website mentioned the results date to be 7th dec. So well, I now have stopped checking my application status. Will see it only after 16th. Too anxious.

Btw where are you from?

I have a friend who is in LSE right now persuaded me to study in other places, such as Canada. 

I think we can just stop checking our status. After all, they will send us emails. In the web they said that email "counts". 

I come from China.  :)  

Yes though the emails come in a day or two late.

Oh well hello! I have a friend in China pursuing his PhD at Notthingham university, Ningbo! I always wanted to go to the forbidden kingdom and Great Wall of china.

If all fails, I might just pack my bags and come for an internship there!

I know Nottingham University and I also know Ningbo. It's in the most beautiful area of China. 

You're very welcome to China.  :)  But I do hope both of us can get the offer. You can choose to exchange to China during your graduate studies. I think there are exchange programs between IHEID and Tsinghua University which is the best university in China, locating in Beijing where you can visit the Great Wall and Forbidden City, also the Summer Place etc. 

Yeah? Really? Better than Shanghai?

Also yes IHEID is the plan. Though, I would like to go on exchange to George Washington Univ to gain US based approach on the subject.

Edited by k_angie

My my you guys have been chatting away lol

angie good to know that the average age is not that low I was worried about being surrounded with younger students only.

SOAS is reputed for its Development programs more so than LSE's but to be honest if I got into both I'd pick LSE over SOAS because of name recognition. They are both 1year programs but at least people outside of UK have heard of LSE I hate to say it but it matters. But of course if I get into IHEID hands down I'm going there, although I'd be torn between IHEID and Sciences Po.

Dec 20 can't come fast enough I guess it will determined if I have a great xmas or not. The worst would be waitlisting I can't wait until March to make a decision so I hope to find out before the New Year. I know I said I'd stop checking online but I check anyway. I didn't get an email from UCL my application status simply changed and there was a page with an offer letter, so I don't rely on getting an email in my inbox.

I heard that exchange programs especially to the US are very competitive but it sounds like a great opportunity. But I'd rather stay put and get internships under my belt since I dont have much development experience. Ha ha I don't want to jinx myself and talk as if I'm in already. Everything is still up in the air. Some days I think I have a good chance and other days I seriously doubt there is no way I will get in.

Sanfan, what about Sciences Po? Angie and I are also applying there. You are only considering the Netherlands?

Yes chatting does keep me away from anxiously checking my application status online. And thankfully I haven't done so in the last 2 days, not that it could have changed given it was a weekend. I have been playing what if situations in my mind and damn they are scary. I really need to stop thinking crap and stay positive.

Anyway. Yes I did some digging and SOAS indeed better for development programmes. As for LSE's rep, well in India both are considered equally good. I don't know about other countries as such. Plus I am not going to do anything about it until I get my results from both Sciences Po and IHEID.

As for choosing in between them, I will still go for IHEID but then frankly it depends on scholarship. Whoever gives me funding and better funding, I will choose that institution. Though the results of the Eiffel scholarship won't come before Jan 8th. Have you applied for it Alchyna?

As for waiting it out,I hope you get your mail from UCL soon cuz as far as I know, until and unless you get either apparently mail or an email from them, the decision isn't non binding.

I have heard that the exchange programmes are fiercely competitive. Like they get 6 applications for every one spot. This is just for the US schools. Though this data is of two years back, maybe by the time we go, there will be many more. Apart from that, if I am not wrong, you need to give some 4-5 choices of exchange school and then they choose you.

And yes same here too, i too get mixed feelings of pessimism and optimism. Sigh, just one more week and it will be all out.

Angie, Ningbo is a middle city in China, located in the most beautiful area and also close to Shanghai. If you take high-speed train, I think it's like one-hour trip. Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou are the three biggest cities in China. Beijing is more traditional. Shanghai is more modern and more western. There are many interesting small towns  near Shanghai. You should visit both Beijing and Shanghai.  :)

Angie,

I didn't apply for Eiffeil I just applied for Boutmy. I started the Eiffel process but then I researched it and came to find out that they mostly give them out to students with under represented nationalities in French unis and my country is not on the list so very little chance of being picked. Besides I was looking at the stats of students the French government Eiffel scholarships going to Sciences Po compared to other schools and it's quite low. So I thought what's the point? It helped that french is my first language so I was able to read all the stats and reports on the Eiffel site.  I didn't want to spend the extra time writing another letter just for that since I was working on all my other statements. If admitted though there are other scholarship  options so I'm waiting on that. It is why I applied early I'm not about to wrack my brain trying to find funding for each school to then be rejected waste of time. I'll see what offers I get and then find funding. Well unless like for IHEID it's part of the application process then of course I applied.

Now you got me scared angie! You think It's not a formal offer from UCL until I do get a paper letter or an email notification? Then why would my status change and I have an offer letter in my inbox on their tracking system...

As for the exchange programs I have heard the same thing... super competitive Thankfully Im not really interested in leaving yet again back to a US university after picking up my whole life to move to Europe. Not only is it expensive to do that but chances are slim.

This will be one very long week. I was reading last year's thread of applicants on a forum and the early application decisions were pushed back for many students I think it was for 2012. They received their decisions much later in March. I pray this does not happen because I put so much pressure on myself and my prof to have everything done by Nov 15. I feel like my essay to the other schools with a later deadline were much better because I took my time.

I will sign up for the info session as well yoy never know I might learn something new as you did angie..

Hey Alchyna,

I have also planned to apply for Sciences Po. But then I gave up because of safety problem. If IHEID reject me, maybe I'll apply for Sciences Po. It seems a very good university. 

As for the Netherlands, I'll think about that after the decision come out. 

Sanfan,

I lived in Beijing for 4 years when I was a teenager. Feels like forever ago! lol Unfortunately I don't speak chinese I remember remnants of it and basic words I went to an international school surrounded by french speaking kids so no practice.

Angie, Ningbo is a middle city in China, located in the most beautiful area and also close to Shanghai. If you take high-speed train, I think it's like one-hour trip. Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou are the three biggest cities in China. Beijing is more traditional. Shanghai is more modern and more western. There are many interesting small towns  near Shanghai. You should visit both Beijing and Shanghai.  :)

Well maybe someday I will. I do plan to travel the world and I hope my developmentL projects will take me places.

Day dreaming, am I? Idk, why can't the results come fast.

Oh I don't knows bout other funding options if admitted. Can you pls elaborate on that?

By the way I just checked on a diff forum that last year some person got their sciences Po result within 10 days of receiving the admissible mail. I think my 10 days have passed. So I am thinking it would be here any day now. So excited and worried at the same time.

Also, I don't know about UCL, but then I am sure you can write to these guys and get some response from them. Maybe it's binding. Stop worrying, really. No point in that! You got through so well sit back and relax. :)

Also idk about it being expensive, cuz basically you pay the same fees of IHEID and not the American university you plan to attend. Apart from that, there are few travel grants too for your living expenses. Let's see, let the result come first and then will I start planning.

Also yes do go for info session. If they mention something on applications or results, pls share.

I was referring to the AFD-PSIA Scholarship but for this one you can only apply once you have been offered admission. It is on the list of scholarship on the PSIA page.

Well I received the admissible email less than 10 working days ago so at best I will hear back mid week but I feel like that is very unlikely. For Sciences Po I'm expecting an answer at best late December early January.

I already wrote to UCL asking for a clear deadline to refuse or accept their offer and asking for a confirmation since I received no email. Their offer said I have 4 weeks to decide but that I may take longer. But I'm not sure how much longer is ok. I haven't even appllied for their scholarship scheme because it's tedious and involves references yet againi. I'm waiting to hear from my top choices first.

I attended the last half of the info session with the time difference it was 6:30am here so yeah missed 30min of it but I was able to find out tidbits. They did confirm that we should hear a decision before christmas. But he did say that some may not be offered a place right away and be pushed back to the March deadline for a decision. That's what I'm most afraid of! And like you said angie we will find out scholarship decisions along with admission.

Also he said the international students are able to work up to 12h in Swizterland during class terms and full time during vacation periods. He also said that students are able to do full time work/internship during summer and part time ones during the terms. And students do on average 2-3 internship during the program. This is great news for me exactly what I need.

Oh well I hope i receive the decision too before dec. I really won't be able to wait for it till March. Anyway, I was reading some threads on sciences Po. Apparently their management is lazy and freaking disorganised.

4 weeks for UCL? Isn't bathe basic deadline till 15th April for every university?

As for the working thing, non EU students have to wait for 6 months before they can work in Geneva for both unpaid and paid works. But anyway I heard that even without scholarship people somehow manage to get by working internships and stuff.

Let's wait and watch.

Yes I knew about the 6 month rule forgot to mention it. But how do you manage the first 6 months without internships and how do you even get a visa without proof that you can sustain yourself financially for the 2 years. No matter the country UK, France or Swizterland you have to have financial proof before they grant you a student visa. So thinking it's ok I will work when I get there will not get me a visa that's my worry about not getting a scholarship.

I thought April 15 was for U.S schools didn't know it was universal.

I read that scary thread about Sciences Po's administration nightmare but keep in mind that those people complaining on the thread applied in March/April right before the deadline and that's why they had to wait last minute I mean what did they expect? I have no sympathy for them they can't complain about an institution being slow when most of them waited until the very last minute. Now of course if you apply early and they push your decision until May or whatever that's unacceptable. I'd be right there complaining too ha ha ha

Hahaha. Okay I get what you mean. Though, I did face few problems with French representatives while their indian ones were amazingly helpful. Though I don't hold anything against them. It's still early, not even a month for my application submission.

As for finances, maybe people take loans or something like that for first semester or something.

And 15th April i thought was universal but idk maybe rolling admission procedures are diff! :/

If I may ask, what sort of problems did you have with the the French reps?

I emailed UCL like I said yesterday and they replied promptly that I have until basically the start of the program next year to accept or refuse the offer but since I need a visa they recommend to decide no later than June to leave time for the visa process. And they also said I should receive a letter in the mail. *relieved*

I'm breathing a little easy that I have UCL to fall back on and I'm coaching myself that if I see 'refused' on my IHEID status page it's not the end of the world...

Well okay so my referees had tons of problems uploading my LORs. First they didn't receive any mail from Sciences Po regarding uploading the document. With that they took 3 weeks just to reply to my email regarding this. They answered just 2 days before their early app deadline. Even then they didn't provide me with some straight answers,

So I called these people in France and well they kept me freaking waiting for more than 20 mins before I got to anyone. This frustrated me out of bounds as I ran my bill into thousands and even after that, the lady who I talked to wasn't helpful at all. Boy, I was pissed. Though somehow it all worked fine in the end.

Yay, glad to know about UCL. :) and yes, I realised that, the whole world not coming to an end after the refusal. Though I was depressed like hell for a while. I managed fine. So chill. It will all work out.

Oh so sorry this happened to you!

You know what Sciences Po was also the one school my referees had trouble with! One of them was unable to create an account but you know I didn't have the same experience you did. I sent them several emails about various issues a few weeks before the deadline and they replied to me the very next day. I was even surprised because I was prepared for a wait after reading the criticism  about them being so slow.

I'm glad everything worked out for you though!

Cool

Basically we are at the same situation. I have only applied for MDev, IHEID. I will also apply for Oxrbidge's Latin American Studies, Development Studies and MPP. I have started the application file for SciencePo but the point is the application fee is too expensive and even if am lucky enough to be granted a scholarship, it does not cover everything. I am not sure if I will have enough money for that. Concerning Hertie, I will finish the application next week. I will not apply for UCL and LSE due to the fact that they hardly give out any scholarships for master students. 

A bit background. I did a BA in English in Hong Kong (2.1 , more or less equivalent to a US GPA 3.5). After my graduation, I did some volunteer work in Peru for almost a year. Since then, I had become very interested in development work. As my English degree is not eligible for any development or politics related master and my grades were quite mediocre, I knew that I would not be accepted by any prestigious universities. So I decided to do a Master in South America so that I could "rewrite" my academic record and at the same time gain more experience and knowledge in the poverty situation and antipoverty policies through internship and volunteering. These two years have been a very fruitful experience. I will soon graduate from my current Master. 

K_angie : Latin America is a great place. I am sure you will love it if you really come to work here. 

Hello Mickun88,

Yes we are all in the same boat. Even I thought the same about Sciences Po scholarship. It's not a full ride and Paris is quite expensive to live in. Though I did apply as like a safety net or idk what. Like I know it's quite reputed. Anyway, yeah I plan to apply to 3 more schools plus 2 development fellowships if I am IHEID postpones my decision or it's a no go. You are applying for 3 diff courses at Oxford?

Well I am glad you like the field. I am quite passionate myself. And yes like I mentioned I want to travel the world someday. Latin America has always fascinated me given I am a history graduate and we did few bits and pieces of the continent. I really want to work there as well as Africa.

5 more days to go.

Good luck :)

Hi Mickun,

We're all in the same situation indeed.

But I think it is too bad that you are ruling out London schools because you think they hardly give any scholarships to master students. It may be true that less funds are available to us but they are still there especially if your case is compelling and your profile really stands out. Reading your background info it seems like it does so if I were you I would still apply and see how that goes. Not that I need another applicant to compete with lol! And the UK has student loan options if it comes to that.

And I don't think any of the scholarships cover everything even for IHEID you might be lucky enough to get a full ride but it will only be for the first year. I read it's really hard to get the same amount in year two you have to reapply and they favor incoming new students the following year. Be aware of that. So if your concerns are only financial I think every school comes with the baggage.

About Sciences Po you are right their application fee was the highest.I paid and you would think that it would make the processing times faster. But Paris and Geneva are both expensive cities. I've been to Paris many times and I'm inclined to say that it's not as expensive as one might think. But then again I live in Los Angeles not the cheapest place compared to South America.

Angie,

Since you are a history grad did you consider International History at IHEID? I looked at the program and I was tempted the curriculum looked very interesting. I've always loved history they were my favorite classes in undergrad. I was just afraid of picking such a niche masters program, I mean what does one do with that?.