International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Let's just say that Geneva is wayyyy better to live in than Baltimore! I'd stick with IHEID!I

I second that statement Bluebird86.. U can travel around Europe easily and in the cheaper rate...so u can have as many as country under ur belt so u can tell ur grandkids that u have been to many European countries :D

70.000 USD for IHEID seems overstating things a lot, even if 1 CHF is 1.15 USD currently. IHEID itself says to budget 20,000 CHF/year, which honestly seems to grossly overestimate things.  I know I definitely did not spend as much while in Geneva!

Also, rankings are a fickle thing, because IHEID is so small, so young (it used to be, and still is for some purposes part of the University of Geneva).

I'm not saying to choose IHEID over LSE, because I think there can be a case made for each of these schools, just saying that I think the basis of comparison you brought up here is not very useful and even wrong!

so do IHEID students consider themselves as part of University of Geneva? :rolleyes:

Let's just say that Geneva is wayyyy better to live in than Baltimore! I'd stick with IHEID!

Bluebird86, no!!

SAIS is in DC.

It's located across from Brookings and other top think tanks and organizations.

It's at the very center of policy research/activity!

I actually did an internship near there and had opp to go in the main building.

It's actually not the best campus, compared to Georgetown, but it's very centrally located.

Also, Baltimore isn't so bad either!

Gotcha!! Thanks Cai..You have IHEID..so go with it :D

i don't know... in terms of courses i'm slightly inclined towards SAIS. An emphasis on economics might be more, so to speak, useful...

Again i might be freaking out over nothing. Let's see what March 14 brings us.

Okay so something really weird happened on my application status.

While my application status is in consideration, my scholarship application by IHEID was refused.

Well here goes the geneva dream out of the window.

Congratulations to all the acceptances and good luck to people waiting!

Edited by k_angie

While my application status is in consideration, my scholarship application by IHEID was removed.

Well here goes the geneva dream out if the window.

Good luck to all the acceptances!

Dont lose hope, let's wait for the final decision, even I'm waiting anxiously.Fingers crossed!

Edited by Hmcg

While my application status is in consideration, my scholarship application by IHEID was refused.

Well here goes the geneva dream out if the window.

Sorry to hear K-Angie... I hope Sciences Po works out for you.... 

IHEID is giving out big time surprises to its applicants...

Well here goes the geneva dream out of the window.

That's weird. Where does it say that scholarship was refused? 

I second that statement Bluebird86.. U can travel around Europe easily and in the cheaper rate...so u can have as many as country under ur belt so u can tell ur grandkids that u have been to many European countries :D

Bluebird86, no!!

SAIS is in DC.

It's located across from Brookings and other top think tanks and organizations.

It's at the very center of policy research/activity!

I actually did an internship near there and had opp to go in the main building.

It's actually not the best campus, compared to Georgetown, but it's very centrally located.

Also, Baltimore isn't so bad either!

SAIS is in Washington i think. Still, Geneva is better :D

Ahh... I just assumed since JHU was in Baltimore, so was SAIS, but it makes sense it's in DC.  I never looked into the program for myself.  I agree though that being in Switzerland has its perks too, especially when it comes to traveling! 

I hope I find out soon so I can go back to being productive! LOL

Another day of being 'under consideration' across the board. I was poking through my SAIS issue essay and found two minor typos. Made me wince. Now I feel like it's one of those situations like a job offer, where one type means your application goes in the garbage. x_x Might just be my nerves.

Congrats for those who heard back today. What program did you apply to specifically?

Hopefully it was just a computer glitch.  It sounds like you have plenty of options though, so that's great! 

Heres to hoping! 

I need scholarship to go anywhere! So well I am waiting on that! 

My online follow up page. I know it's weird but well weirder things have known to happen.

oh damn. You think you might be able to get external funding?

Another day of being 'under consideration' across the board. I was poking through my SAIS issue essay and found two minor typos. Made me wince. Now I feel like it's one of those situations like a job offer, where one type means your application goes in the garbage. x_x Might just be my nerves.

Congrats for those who heard back today. What program did you apply to specifically?

Tho it'd have been better if those typos weren't there, but I'm sure the admission committees won't be as petty as writing someone off b/c of couple typos...

I'm sure I made typos on my IHEID and SIPA SOPs as well (I didn't have much time before submitting them), but that didn't stop IHEID!

Tho it'd have been better if those typos weren't there, but I'm sure the admission committees won't be as petty as writing someone off b/c of couple typos...

I'm sure I made typos on my IHEID and SIPA SOPs as well (I didn't have much time before submitting them), but that didn't stop IHEID!

Thanks dpgu. I appreciate it. Waiting has my nerves on edge. I need to stop obsessing. xD

oh damn. You think you might be able to get external funding?

I am going to apply to Aga Khan and Inlanks scholarship! So yep, there still hope. Though I have heard that both prefer UK or US schools than European ones.

I am going to apply to Aga Khan and Inlanks scholarship! So yep, there still hope. Though I have heard that both prefer UK or US schools than European ones.

That is true. And Inlaks usually funds one year programs in UK and US. I'm also concerned that the alumni list full of Oxford/Cambridge types. But let's hope for the best!

That is true. And Inlaks usually funds one year programs in UK and US. I'm also concerned that the alumni list full of Oxford/Cambridge types. But let's hope for the best!

Theres no harm in applying! 

Angie do not get discouraged yet about the scholarship being refused! If it turns out to be the case you still have many options including your other top choice Sciences Po!