International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

I have a feeling that the results for us will be out by 7th March. I just have a feeling but then that could be cuz I have gone bonkers cuz of IHEID so well you can ignore this.

P.S. - Sorry for spamming.

I have a feeling that the results for us will be out by 7th March. I just have a feeling but then that could be cuz I have gone bonkers cuz of IHEID so well you can ignore this.

P.S. - Sorry for spamming.

Well see you're always more optimistic than I am! I hope you are right I would hate to spend yet another weekend obsessing about my chances...

Thank you everyone,

@ angie k.. I got the funding, and I received the reply via the follow up page..

However, I am confused about what offer should I actually accept. SciencesPo or Geneva?

I met an IHEID PhD alumni a few hours ago, and he strictly advised me to select SciencesPo for master and join IHEID for a doctoral program which has confused me totally because IHEID was always my first preference. Any inputs?

All the best to all those who are expecting results.

Thank you everyone,

@ angie k.. I got the funding, and I received the reply via the follow up page..

However, I am confused about what offer should I actually accept. SciencesPo or Geneva?

I met an IHEID PhD alumni a few hours ago, and he strictly advised me to select SciencesPo for master and join IHEID for a doctoral program which has confused me totally because IHEID was always my first preference. Any inputs?

All the best to all those who are expecting results.

Congrats!! I'm sure you are very excited and relieved to have options (at least, I know I would be!) Good luck in your decision-making process! In regards to the funding, did it indicate that you received a specific scholarship award, or did it just tell you the amount?

Congrats!! I'm sure you are very excited and relieved to have options (at least, I know I would be!) Good luck in your decision-making process! In regards to the funding, did it indicate that you received a specific scholarship award, or did it just tell you the amount?

I got the result on the online form first, which was followed by three emails indicating the amount of scholarship, further instructions etc.

Thanks. But I m actually even more confused now. I thought waiting was toughest part but turns out decision making is tougher than waiting.

Not a 中国人 but half a 华人 from a different country.

Ah cool, I m not a 中国人 either but I have lived there long enough to speak mandarin( though I don't understand the characters, however I can understand pinyin.. Wo xihuan zhong Guo ren :P)

I got the result on the online form first, which was followed by three emails indicating the amount of scholarship, further instructions etc.

Thanks. But I m actually even more confused now. I thought waiting was toughest part but turns out decision making is tougher than waiting.

Thanks for the info!

Hmm, sounds like it's time for you to make a pro/con list! Good luck!

Thanks for the info!

Hmm, sounds like it's time for you to make a pro/con list! Good luck!

Well that's the hardest part. I have talked to a lot of professors from Colombia, brown, SciencesPo, waseda and they asked me to join Geneva because the tuition fee at Geneva is lower than SciencesPo. But since, I am expecting a full tuition waiver at SciencesPo too, and assuming I will get it, the situation would stay the same. I think I will simply have to toss a coin.

Damn, picking a B school is so much simpler than this.

Well that's the hardest part. I have talked to a lot of professors from Colombia, brown, SciencesPo, waseda and they asked me to join Geneva because the tuition fee at Geneva is lower than SciencesPo. But since, I am expecting a full tuition waiver at SciencesPo too, and assuming I will get it, the situation would stay the same. I think I will simply have to toss a coin.

Damn, picking a B school is so much simpler than this.

Congrats again!

I think picking a school... any school whether it's undergrad or anything is always a tough choice. One has to balance personal preference with what's the most financially advantageous choice with geographical factors along with other academic/personal factors.The easy part is when you only have one obvious choice. How is picking business school any easier? Please enlighten me.

Congrats again!

I think picking a school... any school whether it's undergrad or anything is always a tough choice. One has to balance personal preference with what's the most financially advantageous choice with geographical factors along with other academic/personal factors.The easy part is when you only have one obvious choice. How is picking business school any easier? Please enlighten me.

Hi Alchyna. Well picking a B school is easier, because we have seen a certain trend such as umm..Stanford GSB is known for it entrepreneurs, while Wharton and Stern for Finance Professionals, or Harvard for strategic management.. But when we are looking at schools such as IHEID, or SciencesPo and we are aspiring to work in international organizations then it becomes hard because simply because, the international organizations( at least the ones I am aspiring for) are not just hiring from these two schools for similar profiles, but from a wide range of programs such as people with PHD in Physics from MIT to political science to CFA'S to Economics to LAW to ID. It's simply because of the wide range of skills that can be employed in the field of development.. But when it's something like finance, companies expect you to know finance. So in that sense, picking a B School would have been easier than deciding between Geneva and SciencesPo ( though I agree it would be hard to pick one between stern and Wharton :P) Edited by The_Freak

Hi Alchyna. Well picking a B school is easier, because we have seen a certain trend such as umm..Stanford GSB is known for it entrepreneurs, while Wharton and Stern for Finance Professionals, or Harvard for strategic management.. But when we are looking at schools such as IHEID, or SciencesPo and we are aspiring to work in international organizations then it becomes hard because simply because, the international organizations( at least the ones I am aspiring for) are not just hiring from these two schools for similar profiles, but from a wide range of programs such as people with PHD in Physics from MIT to political science to CFA'S to Economics to LAW to ID. It's simply because of the wide range of skills that can be employed in the field of development.. But when it's something like finance, companies expect you to know finance. So in that sense, picking a B School would have been easier than deciding between Geneva and SciencesPo ( though I agree it would be hard to pick one between stern and Wharton :P)

Oh well yes when you put it that way i see what you mean! Thanks. It's true that there are so many ways to work for IO's that it's hard to even picture a clear path to one's goals in this field. It's a double edged sword really...

Oh well yes when you put it that way i see what you mean! Thanks. It's true that there are so many ways to work for IO's that it's hard to even picture a clear path to one's goals in this field. It's a double edged sword really...

Yup there are so many ways to work for IO's and I feel that a MDEV/MID in an IO is analogous to a MBA in a MNC because of the diverse functions that a MDEV Employ can undertake. I do not really have any past experience in the field of development, nor have I ever studied development related subjects, but my university recently introduced an undergraduate module in International Development and I got the lecture slides from one of the juniors, it's simply all about economic development, international trade, human development and various research strategies to analyze policies(which is simply a variant of econometrics). The funnier part is the tutor is actually an engineer( bachelor and Master) who later did a PhD in economics. Thus there are so many ways to work in the field of development and thus it's harder deciding between IHEID and SciencesPo , than picking a business school.

Edited by The_Freak

Welcome LindenLondon! That's the first thought that crossed my mind as well, along with "what about those who have been admitted based on the online follow-up?"

Did you also receive one of these emails, The_Freak? I'd be quite interested in knowing. Likewise angie - have you heard anything else from your friend who was admitted? Whether regarding this email or otherwise.

Hahaha. Glad we could help. Welcome to the thread. :)

hahah! Thanks for bringing some humor to my day! I'm pretty sure their servers have been overloaded or they are getting a ton of inquiries. Either way, my heart stopped beating for a second when I saw the e-mail. It was especially cruel because I saw it on my iPad which gives you the first line or so of the e-mail and all I could see was "We are happy...." seriously...they couldn't of thought of a better way to phrase that when they know we are all anxiously awaiting decision notifications?! LOL

Welcome! Welcome!

I'm always glad when lurkers come out of the shadows to join us! Trust me half the time I have nothing to say but I'm posting anyways ha ha ha ha and you all have to read my nonsense!

You are absolutely right we are probably crashing their system checking constantly but that is their fault! The timeframe they gave is so broad!

I've only been checking like twice a day but that's only because when I wake up the day is over in Europe so I check in the morning and I know nothing will change until the next day. If I was like most of you in the same time zone I would be checking every hour!

I don't think we will hear anything until next week, seems like most iMIA/Mdev decisions will be sent next week. This week seems to be focused on smaller programs and Phds

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys :)

Mych, Bluebird86 and alchyna - I'm absolutely with you on reactions. Have now spent the best part of an hour looking at the Admitted Students Week page (and that was out of pure desperation for new info - there's not that much to check out on there haha!)

Oh and alchyna: That's exactly what it's like. I kept my cool until this week, and now I suddenly feel like some desperate teenager spending every waking moment learning as much as I can about the boy I like to compensate for the fact that he doesn't seem to have noticed me yet (never a fruitful exercise, then or now, but isn't it strange how it feels so much better than doing nothing)... And judging by the reader stats at the bottom of this page - have you noticed that numbers have gone up pretty drastically in the past week? - I'm now far from the only one... :)

New day tomorrow - best of luck, everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys :)

Mych, Bluebird86 and alchyna - I'm absolutely with you on reactions. Have now spent the best part of an hour looking at the Admitted Students Week page (and that was out of pure desperation for new info - there's not that much to check out on there haha!)

Oh and alchyna: That's exactly what it's like. I kept my cool until this week, and now I suddenly feel like some desperate teenager spending every waking moment learning as much as I can about the boy I like to compensate for the fact that he doesn't seem to have noticed me yet (never a fruitful exercise, then or now, but isn't it strange how it feels so much better than doing nothing)... And judging by the reader stats at the bottom of this page - have you noticed that numbers have gone up pretty drastically in the past week? - I'm now far from the only one... :)

New day tomorrow - best of luck, everyone!

I actually thought I'd been admitted and then realised that I hadn't. Now I need to go through those emotions again.

I think someone said that they had to apply for accommodation already? I don't remember being asked to do that...now that makes me freak out.

I actually thought I'd been admitted and then realised that I hadn't. Now I need to go through those emotions again.

I think someone said that they had to apply for accommodation already? I don't remember being asked to do that...now that makes me freak out.

I don't know if everyone did, but certainly many of us received emails from IHEID on 23rd January with information on their student accommodation at the Edgar de Picciotto Student House as well as the application process (deadline was 19th February).

According to IHEID the email was sent to everyone who applied, and has no bearing whatsoever on our odds of admission. I'd recommend checking with IHEID if you haven't heard anything about accommodation. 

hahah! Thanks for bringing some humor to my day! I'm pretty sure their servers have been overloaded or they are getting a ton of inquiries. Either way, my heart stopped beating for a second when I saw the e-mail. It was especially cruel because I saw it on my iPad which gives you the first line or so of the e-mail and all I could see was "We are happy...." seriously...they couldn't of thought of a better way to phrase that when they know we are all anxiously awaiting decision notifications?! LOL

Lol this is exactly what happened to me - I saw the "We are happy to..." and I was like "Oh god this is the moment" and then nope, just an email telling us to stop crashing their servers lol

At this point I'm trying to convince myself that I don't care about IHEID anymore and am fully committed to going to LSE (to stop myself from going crazy over the waiting)..

Lol this is exactly what happened to me - I saw the "We are happy to..." and I was like "Oh god this is the moment" and then nope, just an email telling us to stop crashing their servers lol

At this point I'm trying to convince myself that I don't care about IHEID anymore and am fully committed to going to LSE (to stop myself from going crazy over the waiting)..

haha! I wish I had that option. The one other university I applied to isn't expected to give results until after IHEID. ::sigh:: Guess, I'll be playing the waiting game ALL month...until APRIL! yikes!!

Is anyone else waiting for PhD results?

Hey Oriole, I hear you..I am almost 95% sure i will be going to LSE as well... what programs did you get accepted at LSE ?

Hey Oriole, I hear you..I am almost 95% sure i will be going to LSE as well... what programs did you get accepted at LSE ?

I got into the Development Management program! And yourself? It seems like a solid program (plus the global reputation of LSE, as superficial as it is) so even if I don't get into IHEID I still have another great option to choose from so at least there's that.

haha! I wish I had that option. The one other university I applied to isn't expected to give results until after IHEID. ::sigh:: Guess, I'll be playing the waiting game ALL month...until APRIL! yikes!!

Is anyone else waiting for PhD results?

I can't imagine having to wait that long, I would've passed out from the anticipation and lack of oxygen by now if I had to wait until April!

I got into the Development Management program! And yourself? It seems like a solid program (plus the global reputation of LSE, as superficial as it is) so even if I don't get into IHEID I still have another great option to choose from so at least there's that.

I can't imagine having to wait that long, I would've passed out from the anticipation and lack of oxygen by now if I had to wait until April!

I got into International Relations program. So I am pretty happy with LSE.. its just scholarship part from IHEID is killing me. If I get accepted, I will have almost full scholarship for two years at IHIED.. but if i decided to go LSE..I will have to pay almost $50K for a year....:(

I just really hope IHEID tells us before the weekend.