Have connection with the wrong POI...

natfilm

A while ago I showed my research advisor/prof. a list of schools I'm applying to and they said that they know one of the profs there. So I thought it would be good to make a connection at that school. My research advisor wrote an email to this prof. that he has worked with, recommending me to the program etc. and now that  prof. has wrote back writing that they will be taking a student and that I should send him my research interests etc. to see if I will be a match for his lab, only...I'm less interested in his work and more interested in working with another faculty member.

How should I go about this? Will I totally kill my chances if I mention that I actually want to work with someone else? Should I fain having interest in his lab? Or at least mention some interest but mention that I my work aligns with more with someone else? How to do this in a diplomatic way? I feel stupid that I asked for this connection now and worried that it will badly reflect on me in some way...

Thanks PsychGirl! i though about that only my advisor is not so familiar with the application process to programs in the US and was even not sure how to make the connection with this other professor...

I agree -- make connections with both profs! No one expects an applicant to commit to any one single POI at this point. They don't even expect to you to only talk to one single school! In most cases, at some point during this exchange, the prof will probably even encourage you to talk to their colleagues. If they like you, they would still rather you go to their school with another prof than a completely different school.