Asking for LOR from same persons, for same program as last year - is this not ok?

commtech

I applied to a program last year and was not accepted. I then retook the GRE this summer and did much better, plus I am much more prepared all around for this application process than I was last year. I recently asked two of the people that recommended me last year to write me letters again and they were happy to do so. I am applying to more programs this year than just the one, but they both seemed suddenly relucatant when I mentioned that one particular program from last year would be included (they were fine with writing me ones for the new programs I am interested in). This happened in two separate meetings, independant of one another.

Is this because they would have to write an entirely new letter for just that one program? Can they not reuse the one they wrote last year? Or is there some kind of unwritten rule about reapplying to the same program that I am not aware of? I am just trying to decide whether to still ask them to write an LOR for that one program, or not. I don't really have anyone else that I think would give as strong and relevant recommendations, if I were to try to find new ones, so I'd really like to stick with them but I don't know if I am being rude in some way.

Thanks!

I would contact the schools and ask if you can reuse them. In Canada, the schools keep your documents on file from the previous year and I've heard that some schools will accept your letters from last year (you don't even need to submit new ones) but you are required to submit a new one from a different person. The policies can vary greatly from school to school so I think it's worth taking the extra time to find out from each school what you should be doing.

Edited by jenste

I actually don't recommend reusing, even if permitted. You mention a lot of changes you've made in your application, and I think you'd want the letters to show that growth. My recommenders wrote letters for universities I reapplied to; they were glad that I added many new programs, but they didn't seem to take issue with the schools I chose to try for again. If you sensed a tone change, you may want to ask them if they have any reservations about any of the schools on your lists.

Well I too was in your situation. I didnt get accpeted last year so I am applying to the same school along with others. My profs were glad that I was applying to the same school and didnt mind submitting the LORs. Even the institute mentioned that they can use the same LOR from last years. As to show growth, I have to put a separate para in my letter of motivation.