Uh, oh... I have 4 letters

snaps

This might have been asked before--and I apologize if it already has--but how does it look to have 4 letters of recommendation when only 3 are required? Does it strengthen your application (assuming that all four letters are strong with two being stronger than the rest)? Or, does it actually weaken your application because you didn't follow implicit directions (though the schools never specified that you could only have at most 3 letters)? If I submit all 4 to the same school, will the admissions committee randomly select the first three and disregard the last one? Sorry if this seems trivial. These applications stress me out and make me over-analyze the smallest thing. 

Unless there's something that can be said in four letters, rather than three, the additional letter will not help your case. The search for good LORs is a search for quality, not quantity, and I would suggest that you decide which to exclude. If you need more of a nudge in that direction, certain schools will even state this in their application FAQ.

I've now heard from some psychology faculty that it is annoying when folks send four letters, when the app asks for three (follow directions). They will read the first three letters, and toss the fourth unopened. 

Some programs will allow a fourth some will not. I doubt they will toss the fourth (Actually, I am sure this will vary greatly by school). Adding a fourth will not harm your application as long as it is not a negative letter. Also, some schools weigh letters more heavily others less so, therefore, it may help, but who knows. 

Some schools explicitly say they will only accept 3 letters (in this case, expect the fourth one to not be considered, or expect the system to only allow you to submit three!). Other schools say that they require 3 and will accept 1-3 additional letters.

However, you should only submit 4 letters if all four are equal quality! Having 3 excellent letters and 1 great letter is worse than 3 excellent letters. Think of the letters being "averaged" out -- including a 4th will lower the average if it's not equally good as the others! 

It sounds like you have 2 really good ones and 2 good ones? Can you figure out which of the 2 "good" ones is better? Sometimes a letter might be better for certain schools/programs than others, so it's not like you have to submit the same 3 letters for every single program. So, maybe pick which 3 to send to each program and then tell your profs the letters they need to write. Sometimes, people get in a situation where they have asked 4 profs for letters and turn out to only need 3 and feel awkward asking one prof to not write letters anymore. So, you could split it so the 3rd and 4th profs don't write every single letter. Sometimes a prof might know someone at the school you're applying to or have some other connection (e.g. former student went there, or a collaborator etc.). So, it could be a good idea to tell your 3rd and 4th profs your list and have them let you know if they think they can be especially helpful for a certain school.

From what I've gathered from my app process is that the 3rd itself is often seem as the "extra, if you're on the cusp" to prove you're suitable. So a 4th is entirely extraneous.

Don't tell the person who agreed to the 4th to not bother. If the hard requirement is 3, send/get 3 (omg, it's like pulling teeth to actually have them sent... so you might need that 4th afterall to make a deadline.) Keep the 4th as a possibility.

I do know that if you're not stong academically some programs will ask for another letter of rec if they're interested in you but not quite sold.

Most programs these days require an online submission, and the programs will not allow more than three letters to be submitted, so keep that in mind.

Some programs also ask for four letters right at the beginning; I had one program do so.