Stanford Diversity Statement

Stanford University regards the diversity of its graduate student body as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the university. We encourage you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as work and life experiences, special interests, culture, socioeconomic status, the quality of your early educational environment, gender, sexual orientation, race or ethnicity. Please discuss how such factors would contribute to the diversity of the entering class, and hence to the experience of your Stanford classmates. 700 characters max

I am the oldest of three, and I come from a mostly single parent, low-income, minority home. My stepfather was in and out of jail, and my mother worked multiple jobs. I never met my real father, as he walked out before I was born. I witnessed and experienced abuse at the hands of my stepfather, who suffered from alcoholism and mental illness. Despite these challenges, I worked diligently and became a first generation college student. These experiences drove me to teaching, specifically in low-income areas. I have a unique perspective as someone who has grown up in and overcome poverty. My diverse background is a prime example that with ganas (the drive to succeed), anything is possible. 

Any thoughts/suggestions? 

Edited by moyru

Jesus, you've been through a lot....

Anyways, I really hate these diversity/personal history type essays.... My best advice is to focus on this bit: Please discuss how such factors would contribute to the diversity of the entering class, and hence to the experience of your Stanford classmates. While you should tell your story, be careful not to make it sound like a pity story.

Jesus, you've been through a lot....

Anyways, I really hate these diversity/personal history type essays.... My best advice is to focus on this bit: Please discuss how such factors would contribute to the diversity of the entering class, and hence to the experience of your Stanford classmates. While you should tell your story, be careful not to make it sound like a pity story.

Thanks!

Yes, writing these types of essays is challenging for me. I want to tell my story but don't want it to come out seeming like a sob story. >_>

I am multiracial so when I wrote mine (for Columbia) I focused on the fact that I truly do have a "unique" (*actually* unique, I've never met someone with the same racial/ethnical/cultural mix as me) perspective to offer to my incoming class. I agree with 123, show how your diversity makes you unique and how that perspective will enrich your classmates.