Under Pressure.

manilowese

I have been accepted to four graduate programs. I have thrown out my fallback. And probably throwing out my dream school, Brandeis, because I don't think I will be able to provide the rest of my funding. So this leaves me with 2 potential schools, both for Public History.

One of these schools has accepted me with a great funding package. The other school has only accepted and said that funding decisions would be sent out by April 15 at LATEST. My problem is that the first school asked me for an answer to their TA position by April 3. That leaves 12 days that the other school (the one I would prefer to accept) could contact me!

I remember reading on the main history admissions topic that grad schools can't force a decision until April 15. Is this true? Is this also true for financial aid? I just feel like this is a bit ridiculous. I paid for all of those application fees and should be able to wait until every answer has come through before making a decision.

I have been accepted to four graduate programs. I have thrown out my fallback. And probably throwing out my dream school, Brandeis, because I don't think I will be able to provide the rest of my funding. So this leaves me with 2 potential schools, both for Public History.

One of these schools has accepted me with a great funding package. The other school has only accepted and said that funding decisions would be sent out by April 15 at LATEST. My problem is that the first school asked me for an answer to their TA position by April 3. That leaves 12 days that the other school (the one I would prefer to accept) could contact me!

I remember reading on the main history admissions topic that grad schools can't force a decision until April 15. Is this true? Is this also true for financial aid? I just feel like this is a bit ridiculous. I paid for all of those application fees and should be able to wait until every answer has come through before making a decision.

Many schools have agreed to the April 15th rule, but I believe some aren't on that list. There's a link in the H/A/2009 thread in one of the last 3 pages or so to the site with all the info. I don't think it's a law, though, just an agreed-upon policy.

What I would do in your situation is to contact your school-of-choice, and explain your situation to them. See if they can bump you up on the list or something. Maybe they've had people turn down their offers but they are busy or have delayed telling you for some reason. Might not make any difference, but it's worth a shot.

You might want to hold your cards a little closer to your chest on the school with the earlier deadline.

tell the school that's pressuring you for an answer that you're waiting for another school to notify students of their funding packages and that they'll just have to wait. this is your decision to make and you should make it clear that you're going to wait until all schools have provided you with acceptance/funding information before you make your choice.

these decisions basically outline what most of our futures, at least for the next 5 years, usually longer, will look like, and i feel like students are a little too meek when dealing with faculty. they want you as much as you want them, don't be afraid to sound like you're in the driver's seat. always be cordial, but never let a program bully you into giving an answer before you're ready.

manilowese, i suggest the possibility of deferring for 1 year. I too was accepted to Brandeis and it also my dream school! however, the lack of a stipend will make it impossible to go. I don't know your exact situation, but would deferring help you?

also, i'd suggest asking for an extension from the school w/the april 3rd deadline...i too had to ask for an extension and it was granted. so...i hope it works out for you!!

Did you apply to that school for an MA or a PhD? If you applied for a PhD and the school signed the compact mentioned by another poster, then you have the right to wait until April 15 to respond to both admissions and funding decisions, and the school cannot make you reply sooner or revoke your offer of admission or financial aid if you don't respond before then. If you applied for an MA, however, I don't believe that compact applies. I would contact both schools to see if you can get a response sooner/get an extension on the reply date.

Did you apply to that school for an MA or a PhD? If you applied for a PhD and the school signed the compact mentioned by another poster, then you have the right to wait until April 15 to respond to both admissions and funding decisions, and the school cannot make you reply sooner or revoke your offer of admission or financial aid if you don't respond before then. If you applied for an MA, however, I don't believe that compact applies. I would contact both schools to see if you can get a response sooner/get an extension on the reply date.

I just read the CGS resolution earlier today. It says, "Acceptance of an offer of financial support (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next academic year by a prospective or enrolled graduate student completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor."

Based on that, I would assume it applies to MA and PhD programs because they are both programs in which a graduate student would enroll and be offered financial support. I've asked this question in various places here and on other sites and no one can seem to find justification within the CGS resolution itself for saying it only applies to PhD programs.

I just read the CGS resolution earlier today. It says, "Acceptance of an offer of financial support (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next academic year by a prospective or enrolled graduate student completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor."

Based on that, I would assume it applies to MA and PhD programs because they are both programs in which a graduate student would enroll and be offered financial support. I've asked this question in various places here and on other sites and no one can seem to find justification within the CGS resolution itself for saying it only applies to PhD programs.

It just applies to PhD programs more often than MA programs, because many MA programs are unfunded. I've also just generally heard the CGS resolution mentioned in reference to PhD programs, and not MA program. But, I saw no reason it wouldn't apply to funded MA programs when I looked at the text of the resolution.