When are References notified by the application system?

ironmaiden

Hi all,

I am confused as to when the application system sends out request for recommendation letters to the references.

Two possibilities I can think of: 

1- AFTER THE FULL APPLICATION IS SUBMITTED: meaning that providing the references' information is not enough, the whole app has to be submitted.

2- AS SOON AS I PROVIDE REFERENCE CONTACT DETAILS: even before I have submitted the application, the references are notified by the system.

I could not find that kind of information on the websites or FAQs of the schools I'm applying to.

In your experience and knowledge, which of the two really happens? I need this information so that I can time my application submission wisely.

Thanks!

I think it depends on the application (software?) that the school uses. I started but have not submitted all 5 of my apps: 3 sent requests out as soon as I added the recommender's info and they say something like "in progress," as stated above, BUT 2 apps state that they don't send the requests until the application is submitted (to my frustration!). So now I'm rushing to finish those 2 since I told my recommenders that they'd be receiving all these emails... :wacko: