Psychology GRE How to

CharlieRae

To those hoping to take the psych GRE,

I just got my psychology GRE scores back, and I thought that I would post my study plan, as some part of it seemed to be effective. I got 99th percentile on my psychology GRE exam. I have an honours psychology degree, so I have taken many courses in psychology.

While in university, I had taken textbook notes for all of my psych classes. What I did was study my first year psych notes. I then purchased another textbook (Psychology by Myers - http://www.amazon.com/Psychology-10th-David-G-Myers/dp/1429261781/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384895757&sr=1-1&keywords=Myers+psychology), and took notes for every chapter in this text.

I also created flashcards for every bolded term in the Myers Psychology text. 

I combined these flashcards with flashcards created from my university textbook (can't recall the name at the moment).

For both of these textbooks, I created a list of all of the major headings of each chapter, and I would highlight them when I knew all of the points contained within that particular heading or subheading.

I also bought the Princeton review, and went through and checked items off as I knew them. I found Princeton to be helpful for tidbits of information that you would find at a 2nd year course, that I wouldn't have thought of studying.

Thus, I initially spent a lot of time typing notes, then a lot of time creating flashcards, and then a fair amount of time going through flashcards and the princeton book. I also looked at the Kaplan text, and created flashcards for any concepts I hadn't come across in either of the two psychology textbooks, or princeton's book. 

I did all of this studying in 6 weeks time. I would say 2-3 hours, 6 days a week. The first month was typing out the chapter notes, which sometimes was quite painful. 

At the end of my studying, when I realized there would be absolutely no way to master all of the material I wanted to, I focused in on the areas that ETS more heavily weights (in the practice book). Those areas that I felt a mastery in, or only had 3-5% of questions related to the topic I just ignored, and worked on acing the areas worth more weight.

I cannot pin down what specifically worked for me. I think I did well for a few reasons. I long ago mastered what study habits worked for me, so what you have seen above, is what I did in university to learn material. It would probably be in your best interest to engage in whatever habits you find work best for you (which can be totally different than the above). I also found that many of the questions on the psych GRE were related to information that I had picked up through my university education, and didn't realize I still had floating around in my brain. Thus, if you have not had much of a history in psych, preparation will probably need to be a bit more thorough.

The last suggestion i can think of is that the GRE focuses on breadth more than depth. I found that having a general idea of main concepts was enough for me to be able to cross off certain names, and make a guess at the right answer. If you are in a crunch and unable to decide what to focus on, I would say basic knowledge of many more items. 

Anyways, I am pleasantly surprised with my mark. I had calculated that I had more incorrect answers than I did. Hopefully this is helpful to someone at some point. I remember feeling frantic when I had absolutely no idea how to study for this exam.

Best of luck to those writing it in the future. I found it much less painful than the general GRE. 

On another note: After typing all of the notes from Myers, I read Gleitman's textbook, and realized I would have done better to take notes from that text. So if you were to choose only one university text to study from, I would recommend Gleitmans. http://www.amazon.com/Psychology-Eighth-Henry-Gleitman/dp/0393932508/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384896656&sr=1-1&keywords=Gleitmans

^ That sounds like a lot of effort. :-D

To be honest, I think you don't need a fantastic score on the psych GRE, just a decent/good one. I think actual GRE scores matter more (although the Psych GRE could matter if you don't have a psych background). You could probably cut that study time in half, get a lower score, and it wouldn't affect your application at all.

But congrats on your high score, though!

That does sound like a lot of work.  So, hey, congratulations on all that work - along with your great score! :D

I took the practice test from the ETS website, and I took the practice test out of the Kaplan book.  I didn't study for this test b/c I felt that much of the material on the practice tests was still easy to recall.  I got a 93rd percentile score.  Could NOT, no matter how hard I tried, leave test questions unanswered on the actual test.  So chances are that I lost some points doing that.

So I would add to the OP's  suggestions:  1) take some practice tests first to get a diagnostic on where you stand with material.  2) If you don't know the answer on the actual test and don't feel extremely lucky, leave it blank!

I would also like to add that some programs do care about the Psych subject test.  One program I'm applying to makes a point of saying that it is one of the key pieces of information they use to evaluate applicants.

Edited by Bren2014

^ I agree that places care, but say a program average is about 700-750. If you score a 700 versus a 790, it probably won't do much for your application. If you score a 600, it probably would affect you negatively. I think it's one of those things where, if it's good, you don't get bonus points, but if it's bad, you get major negative points.

^ That sounds like a lot of effort. :-D

To be honest, I think you don't need a fantastic score on the psych GRE, just a decent/good one. I think actual GRE scores matter more (although the Psych GRE could matter if you don't have a psych background). You could probably cut that study time in half, get a lower score, and it wouldn't affect your application at all.

But congrats on your high score, though!

In comparison with the torture I went through for the general GRE, I guess you could say the effort was pleasurable :P

I definitely have heard that general GRE scores matter more, however, when it comes to some clinical programs, some schools will place more emphasis on psych GRE scores. Regardless, I hope it provides some balance, or a highlight when considering my GRE scores. 

On an unrelated note, has anyone come across any tried and true tips for writing letters of intent - or links to the post. It is the last component of my application (yay...), and as close to perfect as possible is preferred :)

^ I agree that places care, but say a program average is about 700-750. If you score a 700 versus a 790, it probably won't do much for your application. If you score a 600, it probably would affect you negatively. I think it's one of those things where, if it's good, you don't get bonus points, but if it's bad, you get major negative points.

This has also been my impression too. I thought my GRE score was awesome until I got to grad school and everybody had 95th percentile and above. If psychology is your major, you don't get extra credit for knowing it well, but you get penalized for having anything other than a high-ish score.

Myself, I studied a guidebook and an intro text for about two weeks.

BTW/ETA: I don't mean to undermine your score or method, I think it's a great guide to studying for the psych GRE, sure to be useful, and I'm glad you posted it.

Statement of Purpose

Statement of Intent

Graduate Admissions Essay

Oh, I've never heard it called a "letter of intent" before. It sounds like something colleges get from athletic recruits or something like that :-D.

There are tons of threads on here about SOPs.

You better get going- I had tons of apps due on Dec 1 last year! :-D

Oh, I've never heard it called a "letter of intent" before. It sounds like something colleges get from athletic recruits or something like that :-D.

There are tons of threads on here about SOPs.

You better get going- I had tons of apps due on Dec 1 last year! :-D

Lol no worries. Yah. I've generally completed my letters. So now I'm looking to further improve them. :)

I do generally have December 1 deadlines as well, more or less.

• 2 weeks later...

650 (((( GPA is 3.8. The problem is - I've ordered results to be sent.

Can I somehow decline the sending request (call to ETS, whatever), or.........((((( Have no idea what to do