fighting for a masters

Miro

Greetings, 

Situation: I was accepted into a top tier graduate school in chemistry and won awards such as the NSF-GRFP. However after my first semester I was put on academic probation and was given a chance to redeem myself. After the second semester, I was unable to get out of academic probation and was given one more chance. Now it looks like I will not be able to get out of the situation due to one bad exams which lowered my grade from an A to a B. I have talked to the professor and he said that he will not change my grades and i cannot do anything extra to improve it hence my cumulative GPA for will likely be 2.99 which is below the GPA requirement to stay in the program. 

I have talked to the graduate school assistant about transferring to a terminal masters route and she said that that route in not viable for me since I have never made a cumulative GPA above a 3.0 after the dept chair and DGS met yesterday to discuss my situation.   I have not personally met with the DGS or dept. chair since and so i need to set that meeting up soon but before  I do, I need to come up with a reason as to why they should change their minds and put me in a master program.

1. How can I possibly convince my dept chair ( who is also my adviser)  to put in the master track ( which i will have to pay for out of pocket)?  To get a masters, you need 30 credits and I currently taking 13 for a total of 28 cumulative credits by the end of the semester. hence I just need to take a 2 credit hr course to fulfill my 30 credits to get a master.  

The GPA sounds like a departmental requirement. It is not something you can talk your way out of. They are not randomly deciding to kick you out of the program - you did not meet the requirements set forth in policy. Check your department policy manual for conditions under which you might be able to appeal an academic dismissal.

the 3.0 gpa is a requirement for the university and the department for students to continue in the phd program. My program places students in the M.S. program by not making satisfactory progress in the Ph.D. program such as bad grades or research. The graduate handbook does not have a GPA requirement for MS. it just requires that the dept chair and four other members in the dept make a recommendation for said students. 

So basically you need to give them a reason to put you in the MS program?  If I'm understanding your situation correctly.  Well since the dept chair is also your advisor you could start by talking to them and stating your case.  You haven't elaborated here (and you don't have to), but there must be a reason (or several) that you were unable to make satisfactory academic progress for two semesters.  And I don't mean blaming other people, I mean actually taking responsibility for what happened and explaining any hardships or challenges.  If you've had regular communication with your advisor they may already be in the loop, otherwise you have to bring them in.  Then you need to state a clear plan for getting out with your MS.  You mentioned needing 2 more units, but if there are any projects or quals you need to do then have a clear plan for how that will be accomplished and what you will do differently to remain in good academic standing.  Then I'd take that same case to the dgs or whoever else is up the ladder that will be part of the decision.

It wasn't just that one bad exam.  If you have a 2.99 GPA in a doctoral program, that means you were consistently not doing well, since a B grade in a doctoral program is like a "needs improvement" note.  If the MS involves you taking more classes to try to finish your degree program, I can understand why they don't want you to stay and finish - you're not doing well in the classes to begin with.  And the handbook may not have a GPA requirement, but I'm assuming they would only want to place students there who are doing well but not well enough for the PhD program - decent but mediocre grades or perhaps have discovered a burning distaste for research.

But I agree with the above - the best way to convince them is to convince them that your performance for the last two semesters is due to some acute reason that is currently over and that you are now prepared to get better grades and face challenges better.  It will be difficult to do this - one semester is easy enough to explain, but two?  Having a clear plan about how to finish (including any remaining credits plus assignments, a thesis, etc.) is going to be key here as well.

Also, I guess examine whether or not you actually want to pay out of pocket for the rest of this MS.  What is it in, and is it likely to help you in your career?