UPENN

kstubbs11

I applied in September, had my interview in November and got my acceptance the day after. The only reason it was so quick was probably because I applied on the first day you could. My gpa is at about a 3.0 and I have 3 years experience as an EMT in a mid size city.

Planning on applying to Penn - looking for access to work in urban education environment but also some faculty with chops in different therapeutic treatment methods. Believe their MSW program offers both, though the ticket price is a bit discouraging. 

kstubbs, what was the biggest draw for you?

though the ticket price is a bit discouraging.

Their program is incredibly appealing, but I did not apply because of the price tag. I spoke to them and was fond of their passion for social work on all levels--macro, mezzo, and micro. Their dedication to the field is evident. Edited by citychild

The biggest draw would be the oppertunities available for students such as placements and the city of Philadelphia. Yes the price tag is hefty but I believe the alumni network that yiu gain is invaluable especially with the hospital and chop right next door. I also like the 3 days of field placement instead of the normal 2 most schools do. I did my interview in person and would certainly recommend it. Another hugs draw was the overall vibe I get from the school. Like I said my gpa is nowhere near what most apply will be but I was still given the chance to pursue an ivy league education.

The biggest draw would be the oppertunities available for students such as placements and the city of Philadelphia. Yes the price tag is hefty but I believe the alumni network that yiu gain is invaluable especially with the hospital and chop right next door. I also like the 3 days of field placement instead of the normal 2 most schools do. I did my interview in person and would certainly recommend it. Another hugs draw was the overall vibe I get from the school. Like I said my gpa is nowhere near what most apply will be but I was still given the chance to pursue an ivy league education.

I see that as a draw, however, I went to, what I thought was, a less popular school in Chicago (Loyola) and my internship is AMAZING, highly competitive, and the elite University of Chicago, does not have placement at my site. I'm there 3 days a week as well. I've even heard from coworkers and other professionals in the community that Loyola alum are more sought after than UC.

All I'm saying is, go where you're happy. That compromise does exist. The feedback I have received from the community was unexpected--I didn't apply to UC because of the price tag and I'm incredibly happy. Something that has kind of taken me by surprise. While I'd like to say with confidence that price tag equates quality, based on my experience at Loyola and my price tag cut off of $30k, I can confidentially say this is not always the case.

If UPENN makes you happy, go for it. The bottom-line is where you are happy... and hopefully where you will stay long-term.

Edited by citychild

I agree with you. For the Philadelphia area it pretty much comes down to temple and Penn. The latter provides a better opportunity in my case. Any school choice for anyone should come down to the overall fit and direction you can see yourself going in over the next few years.

How was your interview experience? Was interview question straight forward?

The interview was very pleasant. Relaxed but certainly have a mindset going in knowing what you plan to do. Be prepare to talk about weaknesses in your background. Overall in my opinion it was informative and fun but I'm the type of person that looks forward to interviews. It will also depend with whom you interview with.

The city of Philadelphia is a big draw for me. Wondering if the situation of the city's public schools (and equally, the situation in state leg.) will be an area of opportunity for MSW students or a restriction.

Excited to apply and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

How long did you wait before you received the result after interview...??

What do you think they are looking for in the interview?

Thanks!!

Hey Elizabeth,

My acceptance came about two weeks later. My interview was great- seems like they're looking for students with a solid understanding of the field, an educated interest in upenn, and a passion they can specifically articulate. The questions I was asked started broad (what type of social work interests you?) and then got quite specific (why penn? Why grad school now? Why the field change?) and the interviewer followed up my answers with more "digging" type questions. I mentioned an interest in a very particular field of social work and he immediately asked whose research I admired in that sphere. As long as you have an understanding of the field and are self-aware, I think you'll enjoy the interview.

Edited by mridgeway

Any of you guys interested in Penn's international programs? I'm trying to figure out how strong they really are on that. They seem to have limited but quality offerings, and am wondering what others think of them.

I waited a week and then they called Christmas eve to accept me.

I was accepted the next day although I had my interview in November when not many people had applied.

I was called 6 days later and notified of my acceptance. This was in January right after they had come back from break. I applied in mid-November.

Hey Elizabeth,

My acceptance came about two weeks later. My interview was great- seems like they're looking for students with a solid understanding of the field, an educated interest in upenn, and a passion they can specifically articulate. The questions I was asked started broad (what type of social work interests you?) and then got quite specific (why penn? Why grad school now? Why the field change?) and the interviewer followed up my answers with more "digging" type questions. I mentioned an interest in a very particular field of social work and he immediately asked whose research I admired in that sphere. As long as you have an understanding of the field and are self-aware, I think you'll enjoy the interview.

Thanks!!! Just got my offer yesterday!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all! I'll be attending Penn this fall. I'll pursue the clinical track with the Home-School Visitor Certificate, because I'd like to be a bilingual school social worker in a public school in a community with a large Spanish-speaking population.

Best of luck to everyone making this important decision! I'm looking forward to meeting you. 

: )