PhD vs MS Admission Chances

dvfire

Hi,

I am applying to US Grad Schools for Electrical Engineering.  I am equally fine with PhD Program or Terminal MS.  From what I heard from my undergrad profs, they say that it is easier to get into MS program (even more so for MS Eng where usually you don't even have to write a thesis, just take courses...and if the school thinks it doesn't even have to provide financial aid, then they will take you most likely).  However, I looked at Princeton University's admittance stats for the past five years, and it seems that PhD admittance rate is above 10% while the MS programs are constantly in the single digits.  Is MS/MSE really easier to get in than PhD?  In some cases when you apply to PhD for some schools, in the application there is an option saying if they don't take you for PhD then would you like to go for the MS program?  Does that give you a very good chance at getting admitted to either PhD/MS?

I am not in engineering - this may make all the difference in the world so take my opinion with a grain-o-salt.  When I was in my pre-application stage several professors I spoke to (and some I ended up applying to work with) told me they were much more likely to accept PhD students vs. Masters students.  Why?  Because taking on a graduate student is not only an investment in money (in which case it may make sense to take on more Masters students if they are self-funded) but also an investment in the professor's time.  And most professors have even less time than they have money :blink:

Now this is particularly true in my (hard science) field where the first year or two may be learning various lab techniques and producing quality results or publications are rare before the 18-24 month mark.  For a professor to take on a graduate student, ensure that they are adequately trained, and wait for that student to start 'making the science' takes the full time of a Masters degree.  In this scenario a Masters student leaves just when they have become useful to the professor.

Of course, this is not only field-specific but also project dependent.  It's worth discussing with a POI you have a running dialog with before you apply.  When I first began considering schools I was convinced I would have to apply to a mid-tier school for a Masters and leverage that into a top tier PhD acceptance.  After talking through the PhD/Masters choice with my POI's I decided to only apply for PhD programs and it paid off.  Bottom line, get an opinion (or as many opinions as possible) from the people who you actually would want to work for, they will know best what type of student they are looking for.  And good luck!

It depends on your program & if you are going the thesis route.  I think usually thesis-based Masters programs still have more of a advisor based program design on average but these specifics vary considerably by field, advisor, and project.  Your best bet is to contact someone at each school if you have very specific questions.

In my experience, professors/PIs are less likely to hire MS candidates because they know they'll be gone after 2 years. In my program, one student entered as a MS candidate (non-funded), switched to PhD (to get funding), then graduated with MS because PhD wasn't what that student wanted in the end. Another student entered as a PhD candidate, failed quals twice and graduated with MS.

Although, I would say that MS/ME is much easier to get in, because most of the time, you have to pay yourself. Engineering PhD candidates are all fully funded (tuition, stipend, and health insurance). If you have no money problems, maybe you can apply to the MS program and see if you want to stay longer for PhD. I don't think it's hard to switch over, especially if the PI likes you. 

Thanks for the replies.  I have applied to 8 grad schools; 5 phD and 3 MS and for the MS ones I didn't mention anything about working with a professor since I figured MS you just take classes (not even Masters thesis was required for the three schools), and my SOPs for MS school apps were all POI-free.  Is this generally how master thesis-less MS programs work?