Do recommenders actually customise their references?

I have been under the impression that this is not the norm...

Anyway, I am applying for 4-5 programs and one of my recommenders already told me that he would write one letter that he will submit to all programs. Personally I know it does not sound too "personalised" but frankly I dont think it would be reasonable to expect these guys to write 5 somewhat different references... The good news is that I am applying for the same program everywhere and thus I hope it wont make a major difference - any ideas?

Not normally. References are generally "open letters," and can be addressed to just about anyone. Your letter writers are supposed to talk about how you're awesome as a person/academic/professional/etc., not how you're fit for a certain program. That second part is for you to do in your statements of purpose.

I think the majority of all LORs are generic or only superficially personalized (e.g. change name of school in the first sentence). You can maybe expect a few extra sentences if the letter writer is close to you (e.g. a research supervisor you worked a lot with) and the letter writer has a connection with the school you are applying to.