Moving to Montreal and yes to McGill

rbani20

Hi every fellow

I got accepted to a ph.d biology program in McGill, I received a MS in applied mathematics from a public university in Chicago US.

The amount of student support I received is 1500CD annually, it seems not too much but based on some googling I did, it looks that is enough to survive a productive student life in Montreal.

I will start this winter, January 2014. I still don't have any place reserved yet, some Craigslist statistics indicate that the average renting is around 550 for a room in a shared apartment in a walkable distance from school (I know but 2.5 miles is walkable in a cold day for me) I tried by emailing to arrange some deal before I get there, but didn't work will.

I d like to find a room in an apartment shared with other Ph.D or MS student like me for some reasons "that all of you kind of know".

I will be happy if some kind, help giver, advise giver, ... Any thing to guide my move.

By the way I m looking for some rent <= 400 all included, I believe that I still can get a decent place for that price.

Cheers

Have you tried looking on the McGill classified ads for housing? The McGill area (informally known as the McGill ghetto) is expensive, especially for a student on a budget. For rooms in the $400 price range try places close to Concordia University (main campus listings, not at the Loyola campus). You could try looking at Concordia classified ads for cheap housing. Concordia is a 15 minute walk to McGill and you could use public transportation during the winter months if you wish from November to February (which will take you the same amount of time to get there). If you live walking distance of a metro station then you won't be waiting around in the cold, as opposed to living near a bus route. (If you go this route, you'd be looking at places near Guy-Concordia metro or Peel, not Atwater as the walk from Atwater would take about half an hour).

For super cheap housing, you can't get much cheaper than Verdun. But expect a 20 minute commute (providing you live near a metro station or 30+ minutes if you don't) and you'll need to factor in transportation costs. Mile End is also cheap and will either be a long walk or a bus ride away.

Personally, for a good balance between cost, amenities in the neighbourhood (night life, restaurants, cafes, grocery stores), neighbourhood ambiance and convenient access to public transportation, I'd definitely go for places near Concordia (close to the Guy-Concordia metro station) if rent in the McGill area is too steep for you to manage. Be prepared to have 3 or 4 roommates though for that price range and you'll be getting the small room in the apartment (assuming that $400 means all inclusive - heating, hot water and electricity. If it doesn't then forget what I just said).

I don't think it's too common for grad students to begin their programs at this time of year and be in need of a new roommate, but you might get lucky.

Best of luck on your move!

Edited by jenste

Thanks jenste.

Typo it s 15000CD annually, obviously I won't go for 1500CD lol.

I was thinking about the Plateau I heard it s nice and calm place to be at.

I contacted 15 ads in Craigslist but got one answer and he require to meet in person, I can t go and back just to book a place, officially classes start the 6th January, I was thinking about going around the 3rd stay in a motel of those daily rooms and search for a place.

Sounds crazy but I got no choice man, you got to do what you got to do.

The Plateau is a nice area. Lots of artists live there and there are lots of nice restaurants in the area. There is also a nice mountain and a huge park in the area which is great for walking, summer sports, toboganing, cross country skiing, etc. I was going to suggest this area but prices have increased over the past few years and I wasn't sure it would still be within your budget. If you find a place you like in the Plateau area for $400 and it's walking distance, I would take it. There is a lot of nightlife in that area and it is close to many McGill hangouts so you can't go wrong. 

Edited by jenste

• 2 months later...

The Plateau is a nice area. Lots of artists live there and there are lots of nice restaurants in the area. There is also a nice mountain and a huge park in the area which is great for walking, summer sports, toboganing, cross country skiing, etc. I was going to suggest this area but prices have increased over the past few years and I wasn't sure it would still be within your budget. If you find a place you like in the Plateau area for $400 and it's walking distance, I would take it. There is a lot of nightlife in that area and it is close to many McGill hangouts so you can't go wrong. 

Hi jenste, do you think living in Downtown on-campus graduate housing is a bad idea? It's right along University Street and I prefer close to campus (4 mins walk to McConnel Engineering building according to Google Mpas) and a private bathroom. Do you think I'll be wasting too much money with no real benefits by choosing on-campus housing? I think it's going to cost 855 CAD a month. 

Hi jenste, do you think living in Downtown on-campus graduate housing is a bad idea? It's right along University Street and I prefer close to campus (4 mins walk to McConnel Engineering building according to Google Mpas) and a private bathroom. Do you think I'll be wasting too much money with no real benefits by choosing on-campus housing? I think it's going to cost 855 CAD a month. 

Well the location is great but the rent is a rip off. If you are able to afford it, it might be worth your while if you want to live in a dorm to meet new friends easily. But for $800-900 you should be able to find a one bedroom apartment (called a 3 1/2 apartment) with your own bedroom, kitchen, living room and bathroom. For about $600-650 you could get your own bachelor apartment (called a 1 1/2) which is basically one room as your living space (with a built-in kitchen) plus a bathroom.

Edited by jenste

Well the location is great but the rent is a rip off. If you are able to afford it, it might be worth your while if you want to live in a dorm to meet new friends easily. But for $800-900 you should be able to find a one bedroom apartment (called a 3 1/2 apartment) with your own bedroom, kitchen, living room and bathroom. For about $600-650 you could get your own bachelor apartment (called a 1 1/2).

Well I don't really like the idea of dorms and I'm pretty friendly so meeting new friends should be easy regardless. But thanks for the tip! I'll look online for available 1 1/2 rooms around the area. Thanks again! :)  

If you don't mind walking anywhere between 5-15 minutes I'm sure you'll be able to find something you like in that price range. Good luck!

Well I don't really like the idea of dorms and I'm pretty friendly so meeting new friends should be easy regardless. But thanks for the tip! I'll look online for available 1 1/2 rooms around the area. Thanks again! :)  

• 1 month later...

Hey, I'll be coming in as an international student and I don't know a lot about flats in Canada. When is the best time to look for rooms? The rooms advertised on the classified that I read are rooms available for the summer. When do people usually post available rooms for the fall semester?

People tend to advertise rooms/apartments late in Montreal. Usually anywhere between 2 months to 2 weeks in advance. Most people won't rent anything to you unless they meet you in person (although there are always exceptions). I'd recommend arriving early and staying in a hotel or hostel until you find something.

Lots of undergrad students take on a 12 month lease with the hopes of subletting their place during the summer. Unfortunately many do not find a subletter. If you can find someone in a situation like this (look for sublet ads for May-August or June-August that keep on getting reposted every week) ask to rent their place for the month of August or for  the last 2-3 weeks in August. Most people in this situation are willing to negotiate the price and you will be able to stay in Montreal for a lot less than in a hotel while you look for a more permanent place to live. You will find most of these sublets in the McGill ghetto area (which is a really nice area, don't get put off by the name) which is about a 15 minute walk from Concordia if you will be at the main campus (St.George). The Loyola campus is a lot further away, though. Probably a 45 minute commute more or less from McGill (using public transportation). 

Edited by jenste

• 2 weeks later...

The best time to look for apartments in Montreal is in mid-late June. Most leases end at the end of June. Craigslist is usually best, but there are others (kijiji, ect.). I would suggest to find a temporary place for the winter, then find a new place in the summer. You need to be in Montreal to find an apartment that is a good deal.

I was renting a two-floor apartment with two other people for $400 each. It is possible to find many places in that price range, but be prepared to live in an old apartment and with multiple room mates. You can find cheaper if you go further. The best areas for a good price range are usually NDG, Cote-de-Neige, Parc LaFontaine and Mile-End/Upper Plateau. Anything downtown, lower plateau, ghetto, or around there is going to run for at least $600+.

$15,000 is enough for Montreal. Besides rent being cheap, other costs of living are good as well, such as food and produce. For a city of its size, Montreal is one of the most affordable places to live in NA.

No point in living in on-campus living in Montreal. There are so many apartments available it's going to be a rip-off. Secondly, Montreal is highly walkable and also has really great public transit. 

• 2 weeks later...

As HopefulComparativist already stated, most leases start on July 1st and last 12 months. But September 1 is the second most popular lease start date, esp in neighbourhours near a university campus. You can also try to get a lease transfer from someone and use the remaining time on their lease and renew after it's over. A third option is to take on a temporary sublet (perhaps for a semester), you get to know the city better and find something more permanent after the sublet is over. There is always something available year round, even if you aren't looking to move in on July 1st. I'm sure you will find something.

Edited by jenste