List your Contacted Faculty Members...

cold164

Dear all,

I noticed that on the online application systems of several universities, they have a section inquiring the names of faculty members you contacted, in particular regarding your current application. Along with the the list of names, they also ask for the date of correspondence, etc. Should I provide them with this information without reservation, or what? What is the purpose of asking this question? Similar questions include "list other universities you're applying to", should I disclose these information? Please share your views and experience on this. Thank you!

I'm not too sure about the contacted POI. I don't think it can hurt. The only schools that wanted that from me also happened to be the ones I didn't reach out to POIs via e-mail.

As for listing other schools, that's 1.) so they know with whom they compete and 2.) to increase their yield (i.e. so they know how many people also applying to better/worse universities they need to admit to get their ideal incoming class). It should have very little (if any) effect on your application.

I think this section is most helpful for POIs that have been contacted by multiple students - they will get a stack of applications from students who are interested in working with them & if there are dates of contact they can look at the emails and refresh their memories.  If you haven't contacted anyone don't worry about it but if you have, fill it out so they can remember what your exchange is.  

I know my advisor is literally in the office next to mine and he will forget that he has seen me or spoken to me an hour after it happens - these people are busy and you should make it as easy as possible for them to remember how awesome you are :D

I think there are a few reasons for this, one is so that the professors you spoke to can be reminded of that fact. Another is so that the committee knows who may already have spoken to you, and they can find out what that person thought (if anything) and what that person may have told you. A third reason is administrative -- so that the department can track who has contacted professors about their application, and have a formal record in case there are later allegations of anything fishy (a pretty unlikely possibility, but one that many schools prepare for anyway). 

I would be honest about your emails -- there's really no harm to you in disclosing them, and you could raise eyebrows (or worse) if a POI remembers getting an email from you and sees that you didn't mention it. While I doubt they would think you were "lying" (although they could), they may think that you forgot about emailing them -- not a good sign about how interested you are in them.