Not quite waitlist - need advice

smt

I have one really great offer that stands above all the rest and I will likely take it. But I am still waiting to hear from one school and it happens to be my top choice.

So, I finally emailed the grad sec at my top choice to see when I could expect to hear something and she replies: Our Grad Admissions Committee has made their decision on the first round of offers. Unfortunately, you were not among the candidates; however, we are waiting to hear back from the students and should we have additional funding, we will revisit our candidates and make a second round of offers based on these resources. If you have offers from other schools, it may be in your best interest to take those considerations into priority.

So, it's not a waitlist...it's not a rejection...no dates...no indication of where I might be on the "second round list"...

So what the heck IS it? Does this mean that I shouldn't expect to hear before April 15th? Does $150 and a flight across the country not even buy you a proper and timely rejection anymore? What should I do? Just give up? Ask for an ext from the school that is making me a great offer? Take the offer and break the commitment if I hear good news from my top choice?

That last one seems really bad. I really have no idea what I should do with this one?

Any thoughts?

It sort of does sound like a waitlist to me.

I imagine the school will have more precise details the closer to April 15 it gets, but it's conceivable that you won't hear anything back before that date. I think that sensible courses of action would be to a) try to get the school that admitted you to extend its deadline beyond April 15 and B) try to find out if there's a ranking of the second wave applicants and where you stand in it, and did (/how many) second wave students got in in previous years. If it comes down to it, I'd suggest accepting the offer you have at the last minute. If you get a better offer later, you could try asking if they'd let you take it (I've heard several times that schools don't usually force students to attend who don't want to be there in the first place*). I think it's better than being left with nothing.

* Of course, hearsay could be wrong...but I think it's still a better bet than ending up not being able to go anywhere.

I am in a similar situation. My top choice has my application "on hold," which seems to me like a pre-waitlist. Being on hold could mean any number of things, so it's hard to gauge when you might hear back. Considering the grad coordinator's e-mail stated that they would first wait for deposits to come in before making additional offers, you probably won't hear until after April 15th. I would request an extension from your 2nd choice, or submit the deposit at the deadline and risk losing it later on. It's really not the honest thing to do, but I think it's your smartest option.

... submit the deposit at the deadline and risk losing it later on. It's really not the honest thing to do, but I think it's your smartest option.

How much of a bridge-burner would this be? (I am considering doing same.)

How much of a bridge-burner would this be? (I am considering doing same.)

On the one hand, I sort of feel like, "screw these schools keeping everybody waiting; if you're forced to put a deposit down somewhere just to make sure you are going SOMEwhere for grad school in the fall, and then have to dump said deposit later, so be it."

On the other hand, and I think more importantly; by putting a deposit down someplace, and then not matriculating at that school, you've just effectively taken away a spot for another applicant that may've actually gone there, but who instead got rejected off the waitlist since the spot was taken.

I would put a deposit down. If you lose it...well its only a small amount of money over where would make you happiest. I actually had a professor last week tell a student that he should go ahead and do it, just to secure a spot. Yes, it may seem slightly unethical, but YOU got into the program [hence, YOU should be deciding your future] and if you pull a deposit out - they may open up that spot to the waitlist. I wouldn't really worry about it.

I think schools understand--and are prepared for--these situations. I'm on a waitlist and they said we could expect to hear as late as July 31st. I know for a fact someone was accepted for the program last year in MID August. So there is certainly waitlist shuffling.

Ultimately, you're only taking one spot, not two, and although I am personally relieved to hear that other students are so considerate, I don't think it's your responsibility to worry about eating up a place in a program. The onus is on the program to try to offer a spot to all the qualified applicants that would like to go. So the sad reality is, the waitlist ordeal can go on all summer.

Don't hate the player, hate the game!

Well, it's definitely possible that you'll be burning bridges, but unless you rescind your offer through an especially unfriendly and inconsiderate letter to the adcoms, they're probably not going to remember your name a few years from now when you're done with grad school. Keep in mind that ALL schools (including the one you may accept and then reject) advise their waitlist students to accept offers elsewhere knowing that accepted waitlist students will then withdraw those acceptances. Yes, it sucks that someone else may not get in right away because you're holding a spot you aren't sure you want, but you've earned that spot and have a right to make an informed decision based on all the factors you need (including what all your options are).

I am in a similar spot. However, I know my rank on the waitlist (3rd), and that the entire waitlist was admitted the past two years. Therefore, I plan to check in with the adcom right before the 15th and if the prospects are grim, I plan to accept elsewhere. If they are great, I will ask for an extension from my other top choice and try to go visit. Maybe this is crazy and naive of me, but I think schools will give you an extra week, especially if you need to go visit another school. They want what is best for you and want you to be completely happy with whatever school you attend.