ETS is ridiculous

ProfMoriarty

I CANNOT CATCH A BREAK WITH THESE PEOPLE

When I came in to take the exam they changed my last name (!!!) because it needed to be "exactly" as it is on my ID. Over here, we use both the paternal and maternal last names, and they combined the two so that instead of being Jane Doe, or Jane Doe Smith, I appear as Jane Doesmith. Since I applied as Jane Doe to the schools, best case scenario, my scores are lost. Worst case - they accuse me of identity theft of sorts.

Then, they told me not to submit my results electronically because one of my target universities did not appear on the list. They said that if I had the institution code, it would be best to make a paper submission. Fine. Then they took over a month to process this information and submit it to the graduate schools - only after I called and emailed insisting that they do (I can only assume my paper submission was lost because they only took care of this after I emailed my list of schools and codes).

Now, checking my application status(es), NONE OF THEM HAVE RECEIVED MY GRE SCORES! Even though the ETS site says my scores were sent on November 6.

I have started emailing the departments, but this is seriously enraging and nerve-wrecking.

Why would I do that? My scores don't warrant a second, expensive, test. I have called and emailed and done everything within my grasp (I am an international, too, so getting my calls to go through is usually another expensive nightmare). My first deadlines are this weekend, even if I had the money to re-test, there wouldn't be any time.

Don't spend the money on a retake if your scores are fine!!! Make sure to email every graduate coordinator for each program you're applying to and explain the situation fully, and self-report your scores to them. I actually did a GRE retake on 12/4 when I had a 12/1 deadline (problem of scheduling) and it managed to work out with communication!!

I CANNOT CATCH A BREAK WITH THESE PEOPLE

When I came in to take the exam they changed my last name (!!!) because it needed to be "exactly" as it is on my ID. Over here, we use both the paternal and maternal last names, and they combined the two so that instead of being Jane Doe, or Jane Doe Smith, I appear as Jane Doesmith. Since I applied as Jane Doe to the schools, best case scenario, my scores are lost. Worst case - they accuse me of identity theft of sorts.

Then, they told me not to submit my results electronically because one of my target universities did not appear on the list. They said that if I had the institution code, it would be best to make a paper submission. Fine. Then they took over a month to process this information and submit it to the graduate schools - only after I called and emailed insisting that they do (I can only assume my paper submission was lost because they only took care of this after I emailed my list of schools and codes).

Now, checking my application status(es), NONE OF THEM HAVE RECEIVED MY GRE SCORES! Even though the ETS site says my scores were sent on November 6.

I have started emailing the departments, but this is seriously enraging and nerve-wrecking.

I'm with you. ETS is seriously from the 7th circle of Hell.

You want ridiculous? Here's ridiculous!

I took the GRE exam on September 20th of this year. I submitted my score to the the Uni on October 23rd. Today I called the university asking whether my information (transcripts and GRE score) were received, and was told the latter was not received. I asked them to check again as I had sent them. I then called ETS and was told that, yes, my score was sent electronically. They even provided a batch number to give to the Uni. I call an individual at the Uni and am told the university does not accept electronic scores. At this point I am both confused and annoyed. I call the Uni and am told they only receive scores via paper, not electronically. I call back ETS explaining my situation and, through sheer bad luck, placed to discuss the situation with an idiot. I provide the individual with the school code used to send my score, and the school code on the Uni website, and He continuously asks me if I have confirmed it with the school. No matter how many times I tell him the number is indeed correct, and that the number is on the fucking website, I am asked by a bumbling fucking human parrot whether I have confirmed the number. I hang up in frustration. I call the Uni and am told that if I submit my application and am deemed someone who could be admitted that upon receiving my scores, I may be admitted. I talk to someone at ETS and am told that the Uni only receives scores electronically, not via paper. I call the Uni and am told no, they only take scores via paper. I call ETS and explain the discrepancy. They tell me to request the university get in touch with them to update their system. I call the Uni and am told that they don't discuss this with the ETS and that I'd have to submit my scores again.

That's another $25 damn dollars. $50 to send my GRE scores to 1 university. I am not going to apologize for my language as it was not directed towards anyone on the forums, let alone anyone who has responded above me in this thread. Quite annoyed.

That's ridiculous.

Talked to ETS again and spoke with someone who expressed empathy about the situation. Told to speak to another individual at the university.

Edited to remove title of university in question.

Edited by Scarf in the wind

You want ridiculous? Here's ridiculous!

I took the GRE exam on September 20th of this year. I submitted my score to the the Uni on October 23rd. Today I called the university asking whether my information (transcripts and GRE score) were received, and was told the latter was not received. I asked them to check again as I had sent them. I then called ETS and was told that, yes, my score was sent electronically. They even provided a batch number to give to the Uni. I call an individual at the Uni and am told the university does not accept electronic scores. At this point I am both confused and annoyed. I call the Uni and am told they only receive scores via paper, not electronically. I call back ETS explaining my situation and, through sheer bad luck, placed to discuss the situation with an idiot. I provide the individual with the school code used to send my score, and the school code on the Uni website, and He continuously asks me if I have confirmed it with the school. No matter how many times I tell him the number is indeed correct, and that the number is on the fucking website, I am asked by a bumbling fucking human parrot whether I have confirmed the number. I hang up in frustration. I call the Uni and am told that if I submit my application and am deemed someone who could be admitted that upon receiving my scores, I may be admitted. I talk to someone at ETS and am told that the Uni only receives scores electronically, not via paper. I call the Uni and am told no, they only take scores via paper. I call ETS and explain the discrepancy. They tell me to request the university get in touch with them to update their system. I call the Uni and am told that they don't discuss this with the ETS and that I'd have to submit my scores again.

That's another $25 damn dollars. $50 to send my GRE scores to 1 university. I am not going to apologize for my language as it was not directed towards anyone on the forums, let alone anyone who has responded above me in this thread. Quite annoyed.

That's ridiculous.

Talked to ETS again and spoke with someone who expressed empathy about the situation. Told to speak to another individual at the university.

Edited to remove title of university in question.

• 1 year later...

Yup, and they are still at it. I have that fucking name problem but it's the least of my concerns. 

My national ID has an embedded chip that contains things like signature and fingerprints (yeah, major infringement of privacy I know, but that's not the point). Whenever we provide ID verifications, that chip is scanned. Naturally when I'm reading E.T. sholes ID requirements (with photo, signature etc), I think that the same process is going to apply. How the hell would I know they don't include digitally stored signatures (I come from the fucking 3rd world, rainforests surround me!)? I even needed to fly to take this stupid test. Needless to say I couldn't take it today, had to cancel my stupid flight and retake it tomorrow. Boy, I am freaking rich ain't I? Well done ETS, well done, in earning big from a penniless student who is struggling to get out of his damn sucky situation.