Biology student desiring biochemistry PhD. Advice please?

Iwanttobethebest

Hi everyone,

I'm new on here and I'm in need of advice. I am a junior undergrad student at a small liberal arts school, yet I am pursuing a degree in biology (more molecular than organismal). Although, as I've begun taking upper division courses I've realized my passion seems to lie in the mechanism of cellular processes at the biochemical level. As a result of this self-discovery, I am feeling more and more like pursuing a biochemistry phd program is right for me. I want this. However, I'm not sure how big schools offering biochem programs view a biology major (both in general, an also in the sense that I am from a small school in Georgia). Despite the prefix of bio- in biochemistry, all the schools I've researched at least seem partial to chemistry majors.

Is there anyone here that can comment on this situation, on how an ambitious biology student can make it to a biochemistry phd program? Any advice is welcomed, and thank you for your time!

I am not a graduate student yet but I could give you some advice based on the classes that my biochemistry major requires and offers (I go to a mid sized state school that is know for research). From my experience I would say that the biochemistry major at my school is about 50% biology, 30% chemistry and 20% other sciences (math, physics, stats, etc..). I know many graduate schools that offer programs in biochemistry require or recommend taking courses such as Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, some sort of Stats course, up to 1 year of calculus, up to 1 year of physics, etc. They also require biology courses such as general bio, genetics, cell bio, metabolism, etc.... Also, based on what I've gathered from talking to professors and graduate students, research experience seems to be the most important factor. Many people I know applied to biochemistry PhD programs while lacking 1 or 2 of the recommended courses but had lots of research experience (2-3 years). 

Something else that can help, given that you are a junior, is doing an REU or summer research program outside of your college so that you may be immersed in biochemistry research. Not only will this look good on your CV and research experience, it will also grant you another letter of recommendation if you do a good job at your summer lab. 

Best of luck!

I would look or even email potential schools to see what the requirements are. I'm almost on the opposite end of your problem- I'm a biochemistry major, but I've only taken gen bio, genetics, cell, and biochem 1&2. My background is much more chemistry focused. I know a lot of the websites say they look for people from a variety of backgrounds who they think will be successful in the program. I think you should be just fine, just take a few extra classes senior year if you can.

I have a degree in biology, and applied to biochemistry and biophysics programs. A solid background in biology with classes in general and organic chemistry should be enough to suffice in getting accepted. The programs I applied to recommended a semester of biochem and maybe a semester of physical chemistry. The majority of people I met on my interviews were biology majors.The students in my program have not taken physical chemistry. Try interdisciplinary PhD program, that have work focused on biochemistry, the requirements may not be as many.

This strongly depends on what "kind" of BioChem PhD you want, as well. 

For instance, my school has two BioChem PhD programs, in different departments and schools- we have one in our Chemistry program, and one at the Medical school. 

Even then, we've had bio majors enter our Chem PhD program. The main hangups they had were not enough background in instrumental chemistry, and a distinct lack of upper level math. I would think if you could take the Calc series and at least one PChem/Analytical Chem course you'd be pretty well prepared. 

I would say your degree means less compare to your relevant research experience. It sure will help if you have biochemistry courses, but you will definitely want to have research experience in biochemistry lab to show that you are ready for a biochemistry program, as a biology major. (I'm in a biophysics program and was a chemistry major).

Thank you all you are very helpful an this is great information! I am currently on track to take 2 biochem courses before I graduate, along with quantitative analysis, analytical chemistry, and physical chemistry along with at least a second calculus.That is in addition to the calc based physics and several upper division molecular bio classes. Also, in response to orims, I am looking intently on attending an REU this coming summer and have schools in mind with LORs lined up. In response to aberrant, research is a great idea. I have some molecular bio research under my belt, but I'm going to try and get into some biochem research ASAP. Thanks again everyone!