Got my first rejection

katiegud

It was my top choice, of course. (Leeds was second though, so that's good!) The letter was nice. It just said my research interests were outside their area of expertise, which is about as nice as you can get in a rejection letter. 

Yep, I have an interview with one and haven't heard from the other two. Won't find out funding info until March though, which makes it harder to commit to anyone. This waiting thing is not fun!

I'm sorry about your rejection, too. It's got to sting a bit especially as it was your first choice. But think of it this way: if it's really true that your research interests differ a lot from what they specialize in, you probably wouldn't have been as happy once you got there anyway. Good luck with the rest of your schools!

Sorry to hear that, OP. Any reason you're only applying to schools in the UK? I just found out they don't have application fees, which is pretty nice, so I'm sending my application to Edinburgh and Kent because...what's the worst that could happen?

Part of it was the lack of application fees, part was that they don't require the GRE (took it for my masters, but my scores have expired because it was more than 5 years ago), part was that a PhD there is 3-4 years, and part was just that I wanted to move there! I spent a few months in Scotland after undergrad and loved it, so I've been hoping to go back at some point.