Harvard DrPH

dr_hopeful

Can you guys post the "mailing date" as it is listed from your sophas application?  I think they are going through applications in a particular order.  To the people above, can you post the date (and your age if you don't mind)?  I think all of us have pretty competitive stats, so it surprises me that some of us have not received interviews.  I have not received an invite for an interview or any response, and I thought my stats are pretty good.  I can only think that they are looking for very particular people with specific work experience... or they are reviewing apps based on the sophas "mailing date".  Note: I applied late in December.  Here are my stats:

I have a BA, MS, and another MS, all from ivy league schools, with GPA's of 3.7, 3.9, and 4.0, respectively.  I have 5+ years of work experience, a patent, an NIH grant, 1 paper, and refs from the CEO of Genetech, Deans of the ivy's (no professors), and a director from DHHS/CMS.  I am in the age group of 25-30, and I also played professional basketball overseas.

Also, someone above stated that ~275 applied.  Fifteen will be selected.  This is ~5.5% placement.  On the Harvard website for 2012 stats for doctoral programs, the yield rate was 64% while the admit rate was 17%.  While I understand that the DrPH program is new and the reps for this program stated ~15 seats are available, I believe that at least 25 will be selected for the first year cohort.  As I understand, the "15" represents seats available for "full funding", but more will be offered without funding/stipend/etc.  Maybe we should keep this in mind.  Most schools for DrPH have cohort sizes of ~50 students.  Based on this reasoning, it is highly probable that Harvard will accept more than 15 students (unless this introductory class is truly special in some way, i.e. alpha test of the program).

Anyway, if you guys can list your sophas mailing date (and possibly your age?), I would truly appreciate it!  As for me, I believe that you should only attend a doctorate program if someone else is paying for it haha.  Fortunately, I do not have any loans, but quite a few of my friends do!  Hopefully, they have legit scholarships/fellowships/stipends (if any) or good "money packages", as I have heard some poor funding stories from other DrPH and PhD programs from other top schools (i.e. UNC, but on the plus side, they accept almost anyone who applies with decent stats).

Can you guys post the "mailing date" as it is listed from your sophas application?  I think they are going through applications in a particular order.  To the people above, can you post the date (and your age if you don't mind)?  I think all of us have pretty competitive stats, so it surprises me that some of us have not received interviews.  I have not received an invite for an interview or any response, and I thought my stats are pretty good.  I can only think that they are looking for very particular people with specific work experience... or they are reviewing apps based on the sophas "mailing date".  Note: I applied late in December.  Here are my stats:

I have a BA, MS, and another MS, all from ivy league schools, with GPA's of 3.7, 3.9, and 4.0, respectively.  I have 5+ years of work experience, a patent, an NIH grant, 1 paper, and refs from the CEO of Genetech, Deans of the ivy's (no professors), and a director from DHHS/CMS.  I am in the age group of 25-30, and I also played professional basketball overseas.

Also, someone above stated that ~275 applied.  Fifteen will be selected.  This is ~5.5% placement.  On the Harvard website for 2012 stats for doctoral programs, the yield rate was 64% while the admit rate was 17%.  While I understand that the DrPH program is new and the reps for this program stated ~15 seats are available, I believe that at least 25 will be selected for the first year cohort.  As I understand, the "15" represents seats available for "full funding", but more will be offered without funding/stipend/etc.  Maybe we should keep this in mind.  Most schools for DrPH have cohort sizes of ~50 students.  Based on this reasoning, it is highly probable that Harvard will accept more than 15 students (unless this introductory class is truly special in some way, i.e. alpha test of the program).

Anyway, if you guys can list your sophas mailing date (and possibly your age?), I would truly appreciate it!  As for me, I believe that you should only attend a doctorate program if someone else is paying for it haha.  Fortunately, I do not have any loans, but quite a few of my friends do!  Hopefully, they have legit scholarships/fellowships/stipends (if any) or good "money packages", as I have heard some poor funding stories from other DrPH and PhD programs from other top schools (i.e. UNC, but on the plus side, they accept almost anyone who applies with decent stats).

I had a chat conversation with the director of the program back in spetember when i was contemplating  whether the program was a good fit for me and he told me that between 12 and 15 people would be admitted. this is consistent with what people said above. UNC accepts anybody with decent stats??? right i have some friends who got rejected at UNC and admitted at Harvard.

changetheworld: my app was mailed by SOPHAS in mid-December and I received an email from HSPH that my app was under review in early January. i'm in my late 20s and have 8+ years of healthcare/public health experience in the U.S. and in Latin America. i wouldn't give up hope just yet, because no decisions have been made at this point (as far as i know)!

livenlearn:  I've heard the same as you, but not by the Director (I spoke to a secretary with the admissions office over last summer).  I was told that roughly 15-16 would be admitted with full funding (my main reason for applying), but more may be admitted depending on yield and non-funded status.  

As for UNC, I am referring to their DrPH programs only.  When you said your friend was accepted to Harvard, was there another DrPH program that was active before?  As background, UNC's program is taught in multiple cohorts online.  They geared their DrPH to working professionals who are "up-and-coming" in the health care field.  Do a quick google search for UNC DrPH reviews and stats.  You will notice that all of them have elite work experiences.  It appears that UIC is also following suit.  Hence, the online DrPH programs (with minimal residency requirements) appears to focus your application heavily on your work experiences over your stats.  With Harvard, it's hard to tell what exactly they are looking for.

de_neve:  Thanks.  It sounds like they are favoring work experience quite a bit as well.  I got the same response as you, but never received an interview :(

To all:  Does anyone know if you can be admitted to this program WITHOUT an interview?  From what everyone is saying above, it sounds like you need an MPH and solid work experience above all else.  (I'm losing hope! haha).

All top PH schools (UNC, Harvard, Hopkins, Mailman) are very competitive. Most have around 5%-10% acceptance rate for the PhD/DrPH. For example, Mailman's DrPH in Global Health Leadership admits ~5 out of more than 60 applicants. UNC's leadership DrPH requires 10+ years of experience. The applicant pool as one would guess for UNC is much smaller but in no way less competitive. No school admits 50 people unless if it is an online program.

From speaking to a few people, I think the this year's intake for Harvard's DrPH will be 15. The plan is to increase the class size gradually up to 25. I doubt Harvard will fully fund the entire DrPH class. Professional qualifications rarely provide full scholarships. 

changetheworld: you have very impressive stats. My only worry is whether the CEO of Genetech and Deans of the schools spent enough time to write a good reference, as these guys are super busy.

Adding my age: recently turned 30

Harvard received my SOPHAS app on Jan 13th.

Nearly all my work experience (5+ years) is in public health with extremely poor populations in the United States. An interview would be awesome.

Edited by mochithegato

changetheworld:

My application was mailed to HSPH on Jan 1. I just turned 31, and I have 3 years of work experience after my MPH (not including 2 fellowships). The program website states that no prior public health experience is necessary. 

Haven't received an interview yet. Good luck, everyone :)

Hi, guys! 

I was also admitted. Am looking forward to what funding we may be offered come next Wednesday. Also, if there are already four of us on here who were admitted, they just might including 20 - 25 in the first class instead of the estimated 15.

Congrats to all! :-)

Hello all

Congratulations! I'm really happy for you all.

I haven't heard a thing. I Was wondering if everyone found out on the 21st of Feb or did anyone find out this week? Any idea if they are staggering acceptances?

i'm in the same boat, but I didn't interview either. I called admissions today and they said we'd hear by the end of the week. My guess is they are notifying in waves.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

congrats and good luck on your interview environment&health!! Do you mind if I ask your stats? I'm just curious bc though I meet the requirements for the DrPH program, it's definitely a hugeeee long shot for me (I don't have a prior professional degree and would be coming in with a bachelor's and some years of relevant work experience). Its more likely they'll maybe forward my application over to the masters program, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!