the real poison in academic philosophy

dfindley

is idolatry.

I suppose I have had an implicit understanding for sometime, and feel as though it has finally surfaced into something explicit.

thestudy of philosophy (love od wisdom, ya) is a historical movement towards truth. but what do we find it has become instead? primarily idolatry.

what do we find the most successful academics doing? research and commentary on historical and contemporary figures. there is value in this, but as a means to an end -- not as an end in itself.

at worst we elevate our favorite idols as authorities in philosophy.there are no authorities in philosophy. only gifted contributors in this historical movement.

but we idolize them and put them on a pedestal and, implicitly, understand that we are not their equals.

we idolize them andforget that we have the capacity to think for ourselves.

and when one is courageous enough to think for himself, we are contemptuous and hold him in disdain. and so we stifle originality and innovation. for our cowardice and our idolatry.

hi selfhating philosopher,

you know I do think I meant to have said 'mostsuccessful academics' not 'the most successful,'. do you think I need to change it again to 'many'?

do you think my conclusion is unstable?

"what do we find the most successful academics doing? research and commentary on historical and contemporary figures. there is value in this, but as a means to an end -- not as an end in itself."

This is simply false. There is a branch of philosophers who are mostly occupied by commentary and exegetical debates, but most philosophers at higher departments are creating their own work, challenging paradigms, and engaging in recent debates. The model of the single "genius" philosopher who appears once every 50 to 100 years is just wrong. Even historically that just isn't how it happened. Even Descartes, Kant, Hegel, and so forth had contemporaries with which they were engaged. The fact that history hasn't remembered them all in the same light doesn't undermine that.

I for one have no philosophical idols, nor do any of the professors with whom I have come in contact. 

Edited by Philhopeful

I feel like this needs a "Meanwhile.. In the Philosophy Forum.." meme...

I had no idea this was all going on.. *munches popcorn*

It's certainly been dramatic since the arrival of our little crank. I have to admit, his borderline schizophrenic insanity has become somewhat endearing to me over these last few weeks. 

by the way i post here while i read kant all morning. (and i mean really read it , BSG)

so you can be as petty as a militant feminist

im the one enjoying coffee and tea in leisure reading kant . in fact i dont even NEED graduate school like you people do. i have a life of leisure and philosophy ahead of me, regardless.

juat to put things in perspective for you people

youd be doing me a favor. these people are awful. its terrible that philosophy attracts such awful personality types.

im looking forward to studying and publishing on my own. me alone im better than fancy-pants faggot earning his funded MA

PS blow me

okay, i realize that dfindley is a joke/troll so I'm not surprised that he wasn't taken seriously but I do believe there is something worth noting about philosophy that makes it quite peculiar among academia. It (along with a few other subjects like literature) focuses heavily on the source (author) of the content in conjunction with the content itself. Rarely in biology, math, chemistry do you mention the author/discoverer of the information you are studying. Can you imagine studying a cell and making detailed note of who discovered each and every aspect of the cell along with their history and placement among history? Philosophy is a study with a tradition unlike most subjects. It involves more than just an understanding of concept but an interaction with a thinker. Call them idols. Call them people. Philosophy simply is different than other subjects and that is something I'm rather fond of.

If I were to describe it, I wouldn't necessarily say idols as that implies a divide. Idols aren't the same as us. If they were, they wouldn't be idols. But I wouldn't call them people either. I don't read Hume like I would a letter from my brother. There is a sense of reverence (which is what dfindley would call idolatry). However, unlike dfindley I think it is deserved reverence.  Our relationship with a philosopher should be like that with an wise elder. We should respect them for their contributions and come to them seeking to understand them (instead of what I see so often - an idiot who should be torn down) while also not stealing their humanity by making them untouchable. 

From what I have seen of our current state of philosophy I don't think we are far off. Could we do better? Of course. But that will only come with an understanding of philosophy with regards to its nature. A philosophy of philosophy so to speak.

/endrant

Edited by Greenwood16

they certainly do deserve respect, but you should read them as equals to yourself, (as opposed to authorities) on the same path towards truth.

and if you find yourself quarrelling pver some trivial matter in a jpurnal dedicated to nietzsche or writing a book about de leuze or derrida (i do believe they wrote their own books) then you are a failure.

you are also perpetuating idolatry and poisoning the community.

(ps 'selfhatingphilosopher': blow me)

they certainly do deserve respect, but you should read them as equals to yourself, (as opposed to authorities) on the same path towards truth.

and if you find yourself quarrelling pver some trivial matter in a jpurnal dedicated to nietzsche or writing a book about de leuze or derrida (i do believe they wrote their own books) then you are a failure.

I do believe that Deleuze and Derrida wrote their own books. Deleuze wrote books on Hume, Spinoza, Proust, Bergson, Nietzsche, Kant, François Chatelet, Foucault, and Leibniz. Derrida wrote on Husserl, Kant, Heidegger, Descartes, Plato, Freud, et al. What point are you trying to make? "Be more like the philosophers you admire! Never mind that they had their own idols and their own engagements with historical and contemporary figures."

It was perfectly alright for Jacobi, Reinhold, Fichte, Schelling, et al to comment on each other's work (and Kant!) endlessly. For that matter, I'm sure you have no problem with Kant writing on Leibniz and Wolff.  It was acceptable for Nietzsche to write about Wagner, Schopenhauer, Hartmann, and Spir. And let's not forget that Spinoza was initially known as a Cartesian. 

Yes, many of us--particularly those of us known as continentalists--are preoccupied with history. That can be problematic. But don't knock history if you don't know anything about it.