Michigan State University Student Affairs/HALE Fall 2014

JBums1028

Just another who's applying here thread... I'm including both their higher education programs just because I'm always curious about other people's interests. I went there for undergrad and had the opportunity to work with a lot of graduates of the SAA program. I'd love the opportunity to go back but again, it's competitive. Looking forward to hearing back!

Best of luck to everyone as well!

UCONN is HIGHLY competitve because it gives you a full ride.

Well considering they go from 300+ applicants to about 16 admits (this year it will be closer to 18 I think, they just added two new assistantships), I'm well aware :) ! They have a GA position specifically for academic advising though, one of the only more competitive schools that I've seen that offers one. That's what I want to do, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity even though it's competitive. I made a separate thread for people interested in/have applied to UConn, so this conversation should probably move over there in the future...

Edited by JBums1028

I got an e-mail from MSU today too.  Guessing I'm in the "decide later" group since the subject for the e-mail had in it "update for deferred students".  Keeping my fingers crossed for good news from here!

Did anyone applying to the SAA program get an acceptance e-mail today?

I got an e-mail from MSU today too.  Guessing I'm in the "decide later" group since the subject for the e-mail had in it "update for deferred students".  Keeping my fingers crossed for good news from here!

Did anyone applying to the SAA program get an acceptance e-mail today?

This is what I got:

"

Greetings from the Student Affairs Administration Masters Program at Michigan State University  

Thank you for submitting your application!  The SAA MA Admissions committee will begin reviewing additional applications immediately after the January 5th deadline. 

In the meantime, if you are interested in an assistantship within Residence Education and Housing Services (REHS), please adhere to the application process on their site and the January 10th submission deadline.  For all other assistantships, admitted students will have a coordinated process via email or online that will lead up to interviews during Spartan Preview Days on February 13-15, 2014 on MSU’s campus."

I was under the impression that nothing was going to be reviewed until after January 5th... I think this is just a formal confirmation email from the program.

Edited by JBums1028

I received an email today letting me know that I was admitted to the HALE PhD program. No funding but very excited to be accepted into this program.

Congrats! A former program adviser of mine is currently in their program. He speaks very highly of the experience so far!

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, JBums.  It seemed like a form e-mail, but just that "update for deferred students" in the subject had me thinking they have/had already accepted some people to the program.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone else get accepted to the Student Affairs MA today?

ME! Would you believe the email went to my Trash box? I'm glad I checked! We might be classmates! *goes to look at flights for Spartan Preview Days*

ME! Would you believe the email went to my Trash box? I'm glad I checked! We might be classmates! *goes to look at flights for Spartan Preview Days*

Congrats! Luckily I live close enough to commute. Have you gone to look at the list of assistantship placements yet? I was kind of surprised that there aren't that many positions available. 

Congrats! Luckily I live close enough to commute. Have you gone to look at the list of assistantship placements yet? I was kind of surprised that there aren't that many positions available. 

Actually, yeah... I kinda wish I had applied for the ResLife position before the deadline.

Actually, yeah... I kinda wish I had applied for the ResLife position before the deadline.

I'm actually not interested in ResLife at all really. I'm more interested in admissions, advising, career services, service-learning, etc. There were maybe 2 or 3 that stood out to me as being somewhat related to those categories. I guess I was expecting more of a variety than just ResLife.

Woohoo! I guess I'll see you guys there too!

As for assistantships, I was worried when I saw the small range of positions available when filling out the preference sheet, but looking at the website, student life itself seems to have quite a few positions in various functional areas even though they are only one checkbox....so that might be worth something!

Woohoo! I guess I'll see you guys there too!

As for assistantships, I was worried when I saw the small range of positions available when filling out the preference sheet, but looking at the website, student life itself seems to have quite a few positions in various functional areas even though they are only one checkbox....so that might be worth something!

I haven't looked at the form in detail yet, just what was posted online. I'm just a little disappointed because I was under the impression that there would be more offerings based on what they advertised in prospective student information. Maybe some of the offices lost funding? Also kind of disappointed that some of the offerings are just hourly paid positions and not actual assistantships. Oh well! I still plan on interviewing...

What's the difference betweeen being paid hourly or an assistantship? In terms of how they're viewed professionally in the field?

I don't think there's a big difference in how prospective employers will view it. I've always assumed that any type of internship, assistantship, practicum, hourly position, etc will all kind of be viewed similarly. The big difference is the benefits attached to each. Hourly positions won't provide tuition assistance, meaning you might still have to take out student loans to pay the tuition and fees.

I'm mostly just expressing my personal disappointment that two of the three positions I'm interested in based on my professional goals don't offer tuition assistance. So I still have to figure out how to pay for school if I get one of those placements.

Really? The only hourly position I recall seeing was for the student athlete tutoring position. And one more (was it college of engineering)?

Those were two of the three I was interested in! I was looking at Engineering, Career Services, and SASS. I think SASS was looking for 10 people though, so that might have been why I thought there were so many. But you're right, I just double checked and that was technically the only hourly one. The Engineering one was technically listed as an assistantship, but with no tuition waiver. Just a stipend.

I might opt to do the informational interview that they mentioned you could do. That way, if more departments decide later on that they'd like a GA I can interview for those positions.