"incomplete' applications and due dates

Cottagecheeseman

So, I was wondering if anyone here had any information regarding my dilemma. So I have several schools that my applications are in too, all my forms (if applicable) I sent should have arrived, and so forth, but they aren't listed on the account.

Like, I submitted Yale's application a week ago, and it still hasn't said my GRE scores are in yet (despite being sent a while ago), and on of my letter writers hasn't submitted his yet (I know, right, it's due in 3 days!!!) So it says 'application incomplete' - but I have done everything I can do, the rest is up to Yale and my professor.

Is this going to affect my application? Like if my professor doesn't do something, or Yale doesn't put my GRE scores with my application in time, will my application not be considered complete in time, because that would suck!

UUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHH...

I would at least contact Yale and ask them whether or not they have access to your scores. It would be very bad if ETS messed up and you don't know about it. 

Yeah for real. I just looked through the FAQ they had, and they say that matching GRE scores to applications can take up to two weeks after submitting application. It's only been like a week, and it has been the holidays and whatnot. Hopefully this won't affect my application being 'incomplete' by the due date, and I'll send an email anyway, probably.

I can't speak for all programs, but two of my letter writer's letters never showed up to one of my programs. They were kind enough to email me and let me know. Since it was at or past deadline and needed the letters stat, they said it'd be perfectly fine if my professors scanned and emailed their letters to the department.

I believe GRE scores are a bit flexible depending on how the application is set up. If you have to self-report your GRE scores, then the department can go forward with that information since the likelihood of the self-reported scores being falsified is practically zero since all applicants will have to have an official report sent in eventually.

Though I cannot say anything about Yale in particular, I received a general email from Emory after I submitted my application in which they told us quite emphatically to not inquire about GRE scores. They said that if I sent the scores to them, "that was all I needed to do" and "if necessary they would contact test score providers directly." Again, I don't know if that helps at all or if it applies in this situation.

Edited by MatintaP

I just nag the shit out of them. I've sent 4 emails to the same person today

What if this doesn't work? I've got 3 letters in everywhere and have a guy writing a 4th to all programs that accept more than 3. I've considered removing him as a letter writer...

Edited by greencoloredpencil

Haha, I consider this guy a friend, so I don't want to piss him off too much, but yeah this seems right.

I am am the same way. My closest writer has yet to submit his letter more than 2 days before an app is due.

And yes, I am applying to Yale, and no, he hasn't sent it in yet. I guarantee he will send it in on the 2nd.

I have had this issue over the course of applying (two cycles of apps for both my masters) and it was never a problem. Their online systems are set up to allow recs to come in basically until your application is removed from their end. Def. see to it that your recs know of the due date, but if it's a week or even three weeks late I wouldn't be terribly concerned (esp. if you let the department know of issues). In short, if you are a competitive applicant, having a letter delayed a week is not a concern for anyone. Most of the reviewers will not even know of your file until late January, at the earliest, anyways.

Jesus, guys. I was at my one of my letter writer's houses on New Years Eve as he edited my paper. I got everything in at the last second. I'm not worried about when the application is "complete" — no matter how last-minute we were with getting these things in, I suspect it'll be seen as their lateness. Take this with a grain of salt, though; I'm certainly not your model applicant!

I'm just worried that an admissions committee will initially ignore all "incomplete" applications, find enough qualified applicants who sent complete applications, and so send offers to them, not even bothering to double check the incomplete ones. Fortunately, I applied to 15 schools and this is an issue for only 3 of them. Still, this stresses me out to no end.