I accepted an offer with no funding ... now what?

bluegirl

I was accepted into my program, accepted the offer, though I was denied a TA-ship. I am now expected to pay full tuition. I was remiss and did not meet the university's own financial aid deadline. However, I did get my FAFSA in.

Now what? What happens after you have submitted your FAFSA? Does someone contact me (the university? The federal government? Obama himself??)? Do I need to do anything else proactively, or do I wait to hear back about potential loans, etc.?

I am a bit clueless about this. It's been nearly 15 years since I last applied for financial aid in any form. Thanks for any help.

You'll get a detailed bill with regards to the stafford loans, scholarships, grants, ect, that you will recieve. For undergrad it came about a month later. I'm sure this is the case because my friend just started an UG in music at Berklee in Boston and he hasn't heard about his financial package. It'll come I'm sure. Make sure that you pay a deposit if one's required either way, if that's part of your letter you got. That's very important; even moreso if you plan on not talking another offer elsewhere.

*edit* you can always contact the financial aid office to be positive.

I'm actually surprised that you haven't heard about your financial aid package yet. Generally, financial aid letters are sent out with the acceptance letter or shortly after. Generally most students receive their financial aid letters before their response deadline(s) because it's often a crucial factor in whether or not a student accepts or declines a program's offer of admission. However, you did miss the application deadline for assistantships/ scholarships so the university may be under the assumption that you're a "self-financing" student and it could be several weeks before you hear about federal student loans.

Either way, don't hesitate to contact your school's financial aid office. While they can't give you financial aid information over the phone, they can advise you want types of aid you are eligible for (Stafford loans, Graduate PLUS loans, etc.) and can usually confirm that they have in fact received your FAFSA.

Bluegirl,

So you know for sure that you won't be receiving any aid from the school?

If so, I think I'd call the Fin. Aid office and ask about loans. Have you tried looking for outside scholarships?

I will probably be in this situation soon as well. Good luck!

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

In my acceptance letter, the department made it pretty clear that no departmental assistance (grant, TA/RA, what have you) will be forthcoming, at least for my the semester. There was even an entire paragraph stressing their fervent desire etc. that I still choose to attend the program despite their inability to help me out in any way ...

One fact I left out: The acceptance came straight from the department, which wanted to know my answer before they send my application on to the Graduate School for what I assume is the official, final processing. So maybe financial info will come when I get the official word from the GS.

It's a good idea to call the financial aid office and talk to someone! I will do that. They even have contact names and numbers listed for aid counseling.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the same situation, I think because I applied a bit late. My letter said that I will have the opportunity to apply for aid in subsequent semesters(but I was under the assumption that they figure out funding by the year...). So I am assuming that I will be footing the bill for the first year, at least, of my two year program. I am also looking/applying for assistantships, definitely keep looking for those!

I'm actually surprised that you haven't heard about your financial aid package yet. Generally, financial aid letters are sent out with the acceptance letter or shortly after. Generally most students receive their financial aid letters before their response deadline(s) because it's often a crucial factor in whether or not a student accepts or declines a program's offer of admission.

My school informed me I wouldn't know about fin aid until June. :| It would have been nice to know before making the decision, but I guess not all schools are as considerate/on top of things.lol

My school informed me I wouldn't know about fin aid until June. :| It would have been nice to know before making the decision, but I guess not all schools are as considerate/on top of things.lol

Same with mine. Some state schools are waiting on state budgets; others just have a ton of red tape/are jerks.

• 1 year later...

Same with mine. Some state schools are waiting on state budgets; others just have a ton of red tape/are jerks.

Yeah, same here. I have no idea. I know that I'll be financing this all with loans, and to be honest, I have no problem with that. I'll be paying back my loans for the rest of my life...., but if I don't get loans to cover everything, I'm not going most likely. It sucks because it's a wonderful program, but I have to think practical while this recession is going on. I mean, I have a great job, like the people who I work with, it's easy, borning actually, but very stable, and it would suck to do this all over again,....but I'm not going to end up in some city across the country on the street, and I'm too old to just show up hoping that things will work out. I think I'm calling Financial Aid tomorrow...ugh....