Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

If literature is a thing in the world, like rocks and rivers and mountains and trees, doesn't it too tell us something about the way the world is? Or is it it not also a thing in the world, in which case, what is it? I'm curious to know the thoughts that might be behind excluding any of the many things of the world from an investigation into the world.

You could scientifically research literature and its effects, I guess, and learn something about literature. Literature being a thing in the world, etc etc.

Edited by TheVineyard

If literature is a thing in the world, like rocks and rivers and mountains and trees, doesn't it too tell us something about the way the world is? 

Yes, but in a trivial way. I suppose any observable thing-in-the-world X "tells" us about the way the world is, viz. that the world contains X. The more interesting question is whether literature can tell us anything besides the fact that it's in the world. I think it can. But I also think that it doesn't do so often--most literature isn't that good. That's not grounds for total exclusion, but, in my opinion, it is grounds for preferring other ways of learning about the world.

Yes, but in a trivial way. I suppose any observable thing-in-the-world X "tells" us about the way the world is, viz. that the world contains X. The more interesting question is whether literature can tell us anything besides the fact that it's in the world. I think it can. But I also think that it doesn't do so often--most literature isn't that good. That's not grounds for total exclusion, but, in my opinion, it is grounds for preferring other ways of learning about the world.

I like this, although I would need an example of literature actually generating knowledge about the world...

I like this, although I would need an example of literature actually generating knowledge about the world...

If you've read Nomy Arpaly, then remember her look at Huckleberry Finn. We can praise Huck as he is responsive to the right moral reasons even though he himself feels as if he has done wrong in helping Jim the slave.

Some one has posted acceptance from UC Berkeley. I think more acceptances will come from this university on Monday. 

Yes, this week is going to explode. I predict that we will hear back from about 4 schools this week. Hope there will be good news. 

By the way, I checked many graduate programs in philosophy, and found surprisingly that there were almost always drop-outs. I am wondering why. They found them not good enough to continue or the program did it? The graduate program is so selective in admitting graduate students and the admitted ones should be the best among the good applicants. Why did this happen? 

Some one has posted acceptance from UC Berkeley. I think more acceptances will come from this university on Monday. 

Yes, this week is going to explode. I predict that we will hear back from about 4 schools this week. Hope there will be good news. 

By the way, I checked many graduate programs in philosophy, and found surprisingly that there were almost always drop-outs. I am wondering why. They found them not good enough to continue or the program did it? The graduate program is so selective in admitting graduate students and the admitted ones should be the best among the good applicants. Why did this happen? 

It seems really odd for an adcom to call an applicant on Sunday, no? Not that it's fake, but just seems odd. 

People "drop out" because getting a PhD is hard. It takes a long time. Some people realize they don't want to do it anymore, some pursue other careers, etc. 

Philosophy grad school, from everything I've heard, is extremely difficult. You have to battle constantly feelings of inferiority and such. Many people who may at first be excited will quickly become disenchanted, realize philosophy grad school isn't for them, and drop out.

Looks like Berkeley is legit....exciting for tomorrow, hopefully more! Looks like I need to change my habit of chronically letting my phone die.

As far as philosophy drop outs, some find they just don't like it. I highly doubt it is because these students "can't cut it" but they get older and find out they want something else. Don't scoff it, odds are one of us talking here will drop out.

Edited by TheVineyard

It seems really odd for an adcom to call an applicant on Sunday, no? Not that it's fake, but just seems odd. 

As long as it is an acceptance notification, I would not mind what time they are calling. Even if they call me at 3 am while I am sleeping, I would still be very happy and appreciate.  :D

As long as it is an acceptance notification, I would not mind what time they are calling. Even if they call me at 3 am while I am sleeping, I would still be very happy and appreciate.  :D

Of course! I'm just shocked that they are making decisions on the weekend. 

Of course! I'm just shocked that they are making decisions on the weekend. 

I'm with MattDest. I agree with ianfaircloud that our default assumption should be that results submissions on Grad Cafe are truthful, but a phone call on Sunday is, indeed, odd.

Philosophy grad school, from everything I've heard, is extremely difficult. You have to battle constantly feelings of inferiority and such. Many people who may at first be excited will quickly become disenchanted, realize philosophy grad school isn't for them, and drop out.

Why inferiority? about what?

I saw a second post of acceptance into UC-Berkeley!! no hope for me :( upset...

Thats just silly, and honestly, I think you're just seeking attention because you should know by now that 2 acceptances on a Sunday does not mean every acceptance and waitlist has been given out :angry:

Edited by TheVineyard

I agree.  Berkeley is on Pacific time, and it's possible that someone took that into consideration last night.  I think the Berkeley post went up very late last night.  Probably won't call people at 1:00 a.m. local time.

I typically assume it's for real when there is more than one post.  Also, we're within three days of the date on which some of us predicted Berkeley would release initial results.  (All of this stuff is fallible, as I've said elsewhere.)

Edited by ianfaircloud

I was wondering how many acceptances and waitlists the PhD program typically provides in its first round of admission. Each program seems to have about 5 slots to fill in, and seems to release 5 acceptances and waillists in the first round (Cincinnati is an exception in that it released 10 to fill in 5 slots). If the program cannot fill in the slots from their picked students, it will release the second round acceptances.

If this guess is correct, which I very much hope, then we can still have some hope for those programs that have released results. Getting an acceptance in the second round is still graceful.  

Edited by Platonist

I agree.  Berkeley is on Pacific time, and it's possible that someone took that into consideration last night.  I think the Berkeley post went up very late last night.  Probably won't call people at 1:00 a.m. local time.

I typically assume it's for real when there is more than one post.  Also, we're within three days of the date on which some of us predicted Berkeley would release initial results.  (All of this stuff is fallible, as I've said elsewhere.)

Also interesting that one was via phone and one was via email. I'd like to know more if any of you were among one of the chosen!

I was wondering how many acceptances and waitlists the PhD program typically provides in its first round of admission. Each program seems to have about 5 slots to fill in, and seems to release 5 acceptances and waillists in the first round (Cincinnati is an exception in that it released 10 to fill in 5 slots). If the program cannot fill in the slots from their picked students, it will release the second round acceptances.

If this guess is correct, which I very much hope, then we can still have some hope for those programs that have released results. Getting an acceptance in the second round is still graceful.  

I think most programs will actually accept more than they intend to take, and still carry a waitlist after that. Some do it as you say, etc, but basically the point is that until we get a sufficient number of posted acceptances/waitlists, we don't really know how many were let in.

Very annoyed to wake up to no emails, nobody claiming the Berkeleys in the forums, and no new results postings.

Edited by TheVineyard

By and large from my experience, although it can take time for the acceptances to trickle out (even using the "first round" terminology, it can take a few days for the first round acceptances to be sent out), you should know where you stand by the end. From my experience, by this time students have been rejected who are going to be rejected, and everyone else not accepted will be put on the waitlist. Most of the time you should be made known, though sometimes you have to inquire. Particularly from those programs that carry humongous waitlists (like UConn) they probably won't let you know, but if you email they'll tell you that you're waitlisted.

So, waitlistees should know fairly soon their status by the end of the first round acceptances. However, you'll often be stuck at this spot for a long time, because movement doesn't really happen until April 15th when people have to committ to a school. Between now and then, admitted applicants will sit on offers while they wait for their other decisions to come in so that they can make their decision.