Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

I'm not among them, but the person who I know who is among them is highly qualified (as one would imagine).  I mention this for two reasons.  One, I won't be surprised if this person is admitted to other programs of similar quality, leaving open a spot to someone else.  Two, I think it's nice to know that (at least some of) those who are admitted ahead of us are at least very well qualified.  Two years ago I remember reading acceptances on the 'results' pages with incoherent comments.  (E.g. One person reported that he/she was "absolutely enthralled" at the acceptance.)  That was disappointing to me.

To be fair - when I get an acceptance I probably will be a little bit too excited to make a ton of sense, especially on the GradCafe results page. 

Forget for a second that they probably wanted to say absolutely thrilled, and think about what it could mean if they had intended "enthralled." It's actually kind of funny. :)

Maybe L.A. Paul's letter was so amazing and inspiring that it knocked this person's socks off.

E.g. One person reported that he/she was "absolutely enthralled" at the acceptance.  That was disappointing to me.

I don't see the problem . . . Oxford lists the following synonyms, among others, for "enthrall": "captivate," "charm," "enchant," "entrance," and "delight."  It's not the most common choice of word, perhaps, but it seems perfectly acceptable in context.

I don't see the problem . . . Oxford lists the following synonyms, among others, for "enthrall": "captivate," "charm," "enchant," "entrance," and "delight."  It's not the most common choice of word, perhaps, but it seems perfectly acceptable in context.

I think it's clear the person meant "thrilled" and grabbed the wrong word.

I think it's clear the person meant "thrilled" and grabbed the wrong word.

Just out of curiosity: How would that be clear? I'm curious to know your reasoning - coming from a socio-cultural linguistics perspective I can imagine someone choosing to say they were enthralled by the receipt of admissions results. I think we could safely say that everyone in these forums is entranced by the process, so why wouldn't the experience of a result be enthralling as well?

Just out of curiosity: How would that be clear? I'm curious to know your reasoning - coming from a socio-cultural linguistics perspective I can imagine someone choosing to say they were enthralled by the receipt of admissions results. I think we could safely say that everyone in these forums is entranced by the process, so why wouldn't the experience of a result be enthralling as well?

I respect your right to have these sorts of debates if it helps you deal with your angst. I have as much angst as anyone. But I come to these forums to see acceptance results and these conversations make finding actual results a needle in a haystack. Just sayin

Good evening to you all.  I am very curious to know who was accepted to Stony Brook and what their interests/ writing sample pertained to.  It is my top choice and I would love to hear any insight any current applicants may have.

Best of luck to you all.

PhD:  Stony Brook,  Oregon, Temple,  Loyola

MA:  NIU, Georgia State, Brandeis

A-

R-

W-

Edited by akap

Nahh, you could be right.  It seems clear to me, but you could be right.

I know the day is young but anyone else surprised we haven't heard anything yet today? I thought for sure because it's a friday... 

I think we'll hear from University of Chicago today.  I'm sticking to my prediction.  It's still early.  I'm speculating that, aside from U Chicago, we won't hear from anything until Monday.  Then next week, we'll hear from like six important departments.  It's going to explode next week.  That's my guess.  I'm putting myself out there, and I could be wrong (as I was with UNC).  But it's a fun way to pass the time.

I think Chicago is a good bet.  If not today, definitely early next week.  I think Penn should be fairly soon as well.  Their application deadline was December 10th, if memory serves.

Penn, for two reasons, next week (on Friday, February 7): (1) very early deadline, and more importantly, (2) history of releasing decisions at the end of the first full week of February.  I'm excited about that one.

I think we'll hear from University of Chicago today.  I'm sticking to my prediction.  It's still early.  I'm speculating that, aside from U Chicago, we won't hear from anything until Monday.  Then next week, we'll hear from like six important departments.  It's going to explode next week.  That's my guess.  I'm putting myself out there, and I could be wrong (as I was with UNC).  But it's a fun way to pass the time.

I read your "it's going to explode next week" as "I'm going to explode next week," ... because that's pretty much how I'm going to feel  :wacko: haha

Edited by philosophe