Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

What's up with the Princeton posting about an interview? Does Princeton even have a Classical Philosophy program?

I was wondering about that. It could be under Classics instead of Philosophy, which would explain the interview... though odd.

hmm I've never even heard of U Conn Storrs... hopefully more to follow?

Really? They are a fairly low-ranked Phd program, but recently made a shit-ton of great highers, and will probably bump up to at least 25 in the PGR next time it runs around. Also have fairly good placement. And hopefully more to follow! 

What's up with the Princeton posting about an interview? Does Princeton even have a Classical Philosophy program?

It's a dual program with classics and philosophy, and it's really sweet program if ancient philosophy is your deal. I'm guessing interviews are more the classics side of things, but who knows maybe Princeton will roll them out for their philosophy phd students too?

Who have they hired recently?

From Leiter: "University of Connecticut, Storrs:  Appointed Dorit Bar-On (philosophy of language & mind, metaethics) and Keith Simmons (philosophy of language & logic), both from North Carolina; also appointed Lewis Gordon (Africana philosophy, phenomenology, existentialism) from Temple, Mitchell Green (philosophy of language & mind) from Virginia, and Susan Schneider (philosophy of mind & cognitive science, metaphysics) from a tenure-track position at Penn." 

Pretty damn impressive. 

Thanks. That is impressive. Bar-On and Schneider both do really cool work. I'm not familiar with the other hires, though I bet they're good too. Congrats to whoever was accepted there--sounds like a sweet offer!

Who have they hired recently?

New Faculty and the year they start are:

Fall ’12:

• Bill Lycan (UNC)visiting each Fall: Language, Mind, Epistemology

Fall ’13:

• Lewis Gordon (formerly Temple): Africana, Existentialism, Social/Political
  • Mitch Green (formerly UVa): Language, Mind, Aesthetics
  • Susan Schneider (formerly Penn): Mind, Language
  • David Ripley (formerly Melbourne postdoc): Logic, Language
  • Suzy Killmister (formerly Massey): Political, Moral
  • Daniel Silvermint (formerly McGill postdoc): Political, Feminist

Fall ’14

• Dorit Bar-On (formerly UNC): Language, Mind, Meta-ethics
  • Keith Simmons (formerly UNC): Logic, Language

Oh my god, I applied to UConn Storrs and haven't heard anything yet and I'm FREAKING OUT AHHHHH. I know you all understand.

Apparently University Of Cincinnati sent out interview emails for it's Philosophy PhD science track. Only planning to admit 5/10, no pressure! Good luck to those competing.

Getting into a PhD program is basically the Hunger Games.

Oh my god, I applied to UConn Storrs and haven't heard anything yet and I'm FREAKING OUT AHHHHH. I know you all understand.

Getting into a PhD program is basically the Hunger Games.

I actually wish it was. Then my years of survival training, hiking, backpacking, and being raised by rednecks would finally come and handy and I WOULD WIN THAT THING! 

Apparently University Of Cincinnati sent out interview emails for it's Philosophy PhD science track. Only planning to admit 5/10, no pressure! Good luck to those competing.

This sounds awful. I guess it's standard for other fields, but damn I would hate spending a weekend with 10 people when only 5 would get in. I wonder if applicants were expecting to be interviewed? 

This sounds awful. I guess it's standard for other fields, but damn I would hate spending a weekend with 10 people when only 5 would get in. I wonder if applicants were expecting to be interviewed? 

Agreed. So much pressure! And I wonder if they're expected to foot the bill for travel costs... I'm glad that there's nothing more I could do for my app right now, even if waiting is driving me crazy. 

Oh re: your earlier comment, 

Speaking of interviews... A friend of mine asked me why philosophy doesn't interview and I had no good answer. Thoughts on this?

I'm curious about this too. I don't think they would actually get any useful information from interviewing, though. There's a fair amount of evidence that interviews in general are not effective, and I suspect they'd be especially unlikely to be accurate for distinguishing between philosophy grad school candidates. 

Oh re: your earlier comment, 

I'm curious about this too. I don't think they would actually get any useful information from interviewing, though. There's a fair amount of evidence that interviews in general are not effective, and I suspect they'd be especially unlikely to be accurate for distinguishing between philosophy grad school candidates. 

I don't think that the interviews are intended to distinguish between those students who are especially capable of studying philosophy and those who aren't. Presumably, they will already know this from the rest of the application. Rather, I think that the interviews serve either (1) to acquire any information missing from the application relevant to admission and, more importantly, (2) to select from among the academically excellent applicants the candidates they would be able to tolerate close contact with for the next 5-10 years of their lives.

So a lot of the interview process would seem to be a "luxury" thing, for those schools that can afford to split hairs among the "best" candidates. This is surely not the case for every interview, but I think it's a reasonable way to look at them in general.

Perhaps in the case of philosophy they assume grad students will make life hard for them anyway, so they say to hell with it? (Disclosure: I study philosophy too.)

Edited by Starbuck

Interviews can be thorny for ad comms because of implicit biases with respect to ethnicity, gender, and socio-economic class, among other things. Speaking generally, interviewers tend to go with people more like themselves. 

I have been on this board for two years now and so have been around for what will be three rounds of acceptances. I am also in this one with the rest of you and so share in the fear of failure. Still, I have to say that you guys are far and away the most manic-panicky-anxious-compulsive of the whole bunch...

Take a couple deep breaths. Take a day or two away from the internet and your email. Relax.  

Edited by objectivityofcontradiction

I have been on this board for two years now and so have been around for what will be three rounds of acceptances. I am also in this one with the rest of you and so share in the fear of failure. Still, I have to say that you guys are far and away the most manic-panicky-anxious-compulsive of the whole bunch...

Take a couple deep breaths. Take a day or two away from the internet and your email. Relax.  

This is a bit like going to a bar and telling the patrons all they do is drink. It's a forum that's only purpose is to talk about graduate school admissions. You're not exactly getting an accurate picture of the posters' lives, let alone enough to make psychological diagnoses.