Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day". What kind of nonsense is that?! Increment the votes, in your imagination, of the previous two posts.

I haven't had the chance to participate yet, so hello and best of luck to you all. I hope each of us gets mapped to at least one school we'd love to go to.

What are your areas of interest if you don't mind sharing?

Congrats to that person! Hope there are more coming down the pipeline. 

It's very odd that only one person posted for UCSD.  That person posted not on gradcafe but on who-got-in.  I'm usually not skeptical of these things.  But this one is very unusual.  This would be a little early (but not too early) for UCSD.  Still, I'm waiting to see more...

It's very odd that only one person posted for UCSD.  That person posted not on gradcafe but on who-got-in.  I'm usually not skeptical of these things.  But this one is very unusual.  This would be a little early (but not too early) for UCSD.  Still, I'm waiting to see more...

I really, really doubt it's fake. It's interesting that this person's report is backwards from how it was previous acceptances, though. Last year, people were notified by phone and then were e-mailed with more details (at least according to TGC). 

Someone just posted a rejection from Kentucky. I don't know if anyone else out there applied to UK, but I did. Perhaps notices will start rolling out.

There have been only two acceptances posted for Wisconsin-Madison so far. The two acceptances will be the first round of acceptance? Are more acceptances coming? How many guys here applied to this school? 

Not everyone posts to grad cafe. Seeing that two were posted, it's reasonable to think that more have went out and just were not posted here.

So, I still haven't heard from UNC, which is driving me insane. 

I would absolutely contact the department today.  Everyone should have heard something from UNC at this point.  They do notify people on their wait-list.  They already notified rejections.  So by elimination, you should have been notified.

Nothing even if you check website?

Nope. I have been checking it a couple times a day for the last week.

I would absolutely contact the department today.  Everyone should have heard something from UNC at this point.  They do notify people on their wait-list.  They already notified rejections.  So by elimination, you should have been notified.

I'm a bit apprehensive about doing so.

Why, what's the worst that can happen?

Perhaps the send button on my email is rigged up to a large nuclear device that will be set off and result in the destruction of the world. Even worse, if there is an infinite set of concretely existing possible worlds, then in one such world this is true! So, clearly to avoid being culpable for such a horrific crime, I should not send the email.

Edited by Mavngoose1

Of course, we might also be in a possible world in which your failure to send an email to UNC in the next day or so results in nuclear apocalypse....

Yeah, I know. I was being facetious so I didn't have to admit that my "reasons" for not sending the email were not particularly rational.

In some possible world, has Notre Dame sent out rejections/acceptances? I'd rather it was the concrete world, but if someone can assure me that there is a possible world in which they have, it would make it easier. ;)

In some possible world, has Notre Dame sent out rejections/acceptances? I'd rather it was the concrete world, but if someone can assure me that there is a possible world in which they have, it would make it easier. ;)

I feel your pain, I promise you. I can only speak for myself (so take it for what it's worth), but I've not heard anything from Notre Dame one way or the other as of yet. I wait anxiously... 

My interests are fairly broad, but most specifically I'm interested in phil religion and phil science as competing epistemological models. I also have interests in reformed epistemology (e.g. Plantinga and Alston) and philosophical theology (e.g. Swinburne). But mostly I'm interested in topics where epistemological models in religion and science address the same questions and making a case for a kind of "mutual support" theory. What about yourself?