Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

So is it safe to assume rejection to Arizona if you haven't received an email yet?

From what I remember from last year, Arizona has a short and an extended wait list. They only initially email people on the short list, but do not reject people on the extended list just in case. However, it's extremely unlikely that those on the extended list will be made an offer: I'd treat it as a rejection for practical purposes, and be very pleasantly surprised if it turns out otherwise.

From what I remember from last year, Arizona has a short and an extended wait list. They only initially email people on the short list, but do not reject people on the extended list just in case. However, it's extremely unlikely that those on the extended list will be made an offer: I'd treat it as a rejection for practical purposes, and be very pleasantly surprised if it turns out otherwise.

good to know, thanks for the info!

Well...my sister's friend brought me a whole bottle of ouzo just for funsies. Looks like I'm drinking Greek liquor tonight.

Local liquor store had a handle of Jack on sale for 29.99 over the weekend. I equal good-to-go.

Looks like the rich got richer today with the Arizona waitlists. I didn't apply there because I don't want to live amongst southerners... I think that would be terrible, but good luck to those with a chance!

I've never heard someone refer to Arizonans as "Southerners", although Tucson is only 60 miles away from the Mexican border. 

I've done my time in a red state. I want the sentence to be over.

You ever think maybe it was you, not us? Maybe we just got tired of doing all the work in this relationship!

Is it safe to assume not all the Chicago acceptances have gone out yet? Because whether it is or not, I want to.

I don't think that's a safe assumption yet. We haven't even begun to hear about potential waitlisted applicants, and we haven't seen the usual "rejected but offered a place in the money-pit MAPH" posts yet. 

I don't think that's a safe assumption yet. We haven't even begun to hear about potential waitlisted applicants, and we haven't seen the usual "rejected but offered a place in the money-pit MAPH" posts yet. 

maybe I wasn't clear. what I really asked was: is it safe to assume that more Chicago admits have yet to be contacted?

plus they don't do a waitlist.

maybe I wasn't clear. what I really asked was: is it safe to assume that more Chicago admits have yet to be contacted?

plus they don't do a waitlist.

Oh. I didn't understand you. My bad. And I didn't realize they don't waitlist. That blows. 

EDIT: I guess I did know that looking back at their website. I guess I just chose to forget.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

Arizona is definitely strong in political philosophy.  But Chapel Hill is stronger in ethics, is solid in political philosophy (especially given my interests), and has one very strong figure in philosophy of law (Gerald Postema).  Chapel Hill's funding package is significantly better:  more money and more time on fellowship.  I also have some personal reasons as well (Chapel Hill's location is more appealing to me, my fiancee is a teacher and the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area is more populated than Tucson, Chapel Hill is a bit closer to family, etc.).  Short answer:  If political were my only strong interest, I would definitely wait on Arizona, but I like ethics as least as much as I like political, and I really like what Chapel Hill has to offer in ethics.  

Thanks for this. That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate you laying out your thought process, it's nice to get some additional perspectives on the process.

OK: Here's something to pass the time.  I put together this possibly-helpful graphic that displays which schools have sent out acceptances, wait-lists, and rejections.  (I'm not updating the graphic until I am pretty certain that a school has actually sent these notifications.  So, e.g., I'm waiting for more before I update the NYU status.)

http://faircloudblog.wordpress.com/notifications/

I may move this to a blog post, so if this link doesn't work in the future, just go to the home page/archives of the blog (faircloudblog.wordpress.com).

Also, for redundancy, I may repost this later in a separate thread (so that people don't miss it here).

It looks so damn beautiful! (It would look nicer on a horizontal layout, but the blog has a different structure, so the vertical layout is understandable). 

It looks so damn beautiful! (It would look nicer on a horizontal layout, but the blog has a different structure, so the vertical layout is understandable). 

This is immensely helpful. (One correction: at least some Arizona wait lists have gone out.) I'm surprised that so few rejections have gone out at this point.

You and ianfaircloud deserve Olympic gold! ... K, that was cheesy and unforgiveable.