Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Does anyone care to share their WS topic?  By the way, I posted the same question to WGI (where account-free anonymous posting is permitted).

Your name looks really familiar, are you already attending? I can't really stand livejournal's interface, so I'm very reluctant to use it. 

My WS is on requirements of rationality, particularly relating to memory and responding to an argument from John Broome. 

Many posts of acceptance say that the acceptance email comes for POI. I am really confused about this. Why POI (does it stand for "professor of interest"?)? Does POI play a part in the admissions process? If so, should we contact with a POI with whom you want to work before applying? Thanks. 

Edited by Platonist

Your name looks really familiar, are you already attending? I can't really stand livejournal's interface, so I'm very reluctant to use it. 

My WS is on requirements of rationality, particularly relating to memory and responding to an argument from John Broome. 

Yeah, I'm currently enrolled in a terminal MA program.  I hope to apply to PhD programs next cycle.  Anyway, congrats on Arizona!  

He's a famous rapper. Maybe you know some of his songs, like, "Mo Publications Mo Citations"?

Good question.  And now to plug my blog: I addressed your question here.

Your blog is excellent. Thanks for putting so much work into it. Makes my application season less stressful!

Also, why do you think Pitt has taken about a week longer than usual to make its offers?

Your blog is excellent. Thanks for putting so much work into it. Makes my application season less stressful!

Also, why do you think Pitt has taken about a week longer than usual to make its offers?

Thanks!  I've enjoyed having some role here.

Regarding Pitt, I don't know why the department is so late this time.  I don't think that the application deadline was moved back this year.  But I hope we hear something soon!

Thanks!  I've enjoyed having some role here.

Regarding Pitt, I don't know why the department is so late this time.  I don't think that the application deadline was moved back this year.  But I hope we hear something soon!

Didn't the whole state of PA get shut down by winter weather in the last couple weeks? That could explain why we have seen only 1 HPS admit and 0 Philosophy from Pitt, and almost nothing from CMU either?

Didn't the whole state of PA get shut down by winter weather in the last couple weeks? That could explain why we have seen only 1 HPS admit and 0 Philosophy from Pitt, and almost nothing from CMU either?

Is that right? I should read the news instead of just philosophy! 

As far as I know, Pittsburgh wasn't greatly disturbed by the winter weather.  I don't think Pitt had to close.  

Now Philadelphia was hit hard, and if I remember correctly, Penn had to close for a day.  So it's possible that some of these departments, like Penn and Georgetown, had to cancel admission committee meetings.  Given the track of the storm, I think the schools roughly along the I-95 corridor experienced the greatest impact.  So that includes schools from Washington, D.C., through Baltimore, Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York City, New Haven, Providence, and Boston.  Many schools in Boston had to close for a day, I know.  And Maryland was pretty much shut down.  (Areas north of Baltimore had close to 20 inches of snow.)

Schools along this route (that have not released initial notifications to my knowledge): Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Penn, Princeton, Rutgers, Columbia, CUNY, Harvard, MIT, Boston University.

Edited by ianfaircloud

Pennsylvanian here! The snow storms were pretty freaking awful. I think I have about 18-20ish inches of snow on the ground outside. My uni was closed for four days over the last few weeks, and we have a reputation for never closing. Philly and the general South-Eastern part of PA was hit hard, as was most of Jersey, which might explain some of the slowness coming out of PA and NJ. Best part is that we're supposed to get even more snow on Tuesday.

Many posts of acceptance say that the acceptance email comes for POI. I am really confused about this. Why POI (does it stand for "professor of interest"?)? Does POI play a part in the admissions process? If so, should we contact with a POI with whom you want to work before applying? Thanks. 

Hi Platonist.  To answer your question, yes, POI = person/professor of interest - in other words, faculty you are interested in working with.

My understanding is that it indeed can make a difference whom you mention as a POI.  If you say you want to work specifically with Prof. X, but, unbeknownst to you, Prof. X is about to leave the university (or has too many students already, or hates your application, or whatever), then the ad com may decide you're not a good fit for the program.

This info is based on conversations with people who have sat on ad coms - but obviously every committee is different, and so is every application, so one never knows.  Anyone who gives a definitive answer to a question like this is full of it, imo.

As far as whether you should contact POIs before applying, I don't think it matters much one way or the other.  I did, and got several offers.  On the other hand, I know lots of folks who did and didn't get any offers, or who didn't and got tons.

Basically I'm saying I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hi Platonist.  To answer your question, yes, POI = person/professor of interest - in other words, faculty you are interested in working with.

My understanding is that it indeed can make a difference whom you mention as a POI.  If you say you want to work specifically with Prof. X, but, unbeknownst to you, Prof. X is about to leave the university (or has too many students already, or hates your application, or whatever), then the ad com may decide you're not a good fit for the program.

This info is based on conversations with people who have sat on ad coms - but obviously every committee is different, and so is every application, so one never knows.  Anyone who gives a definitive answer to a question like this is full of it, imo.

As far as whether you should contact POIs before applying, I don't think it matters much one way or the other.  I did, and got several offers.  On the other hand, I know lots of folks who did and didn't get any offers, or who didn't and got tons.

Basically I'm saying I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks for the inputs, magog. I am very worried because I did not do it and I may be disadvantaged. Sorry, I started a new thread on this issue. Thanks again.