Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Thanks for the inputs, magog. I am very worried because I did not do it and I may be disadvantaged. Sorry, I started a new thread on this issue. Thanks again. 

I didn't mention a single POI in my application or contact them before the admissions process, and I've received several offers. In some cases I've received acceptance emails from faculty with similar interests to mine, which I imagine is what happens when you don't make specific mention of faculty or contact them beforehand. Don't let this worry you. Contacting POIs may be a good idea, but it is definitely not a prerequisite to admission.

I didn't mention a single POI in my application or contact them before the admissions process, and I've received several offers. In some cases I've received acceptance emails from faculty with similar interests to mine, which I imagine is what happens when you don't make specific mention of faculty or contact them beforehand. Don't let this worry you. Contacting POIs may be a good idea, but it is definitely not a prerequisite to admission.

I should add that this is the norm for contacting POIs. While it may give you brownie points if you mention them in your personal statement, it's not a good idea to contact them before or during admissions. In fact, most departments discourage you from doing so, since it might give your application an unfair advantage. (This is why you're only supposed to visit after you've gotten in.)

Same here.  I would add that it's probably sufficient that one gives a somewhat detailed, honest, and plausible account of one's interests.  Mention classes you've taken, the topics of your term papers, what you've researched outside of class. Ad comms should be able to deduce from such an account whether you'd be a good fit for their program.

First 2014 rejection from NYU PhD program posted. 

And a postal service rejection from Harvard, apparently... I should check my mail and get back to you guys. I live in Boston so I imagine if they were actually sending rejections by mail I would receive that immediately. 

Regarding NYU, I'd want another to confirm. I haven't received anything yet.

A piece of information that might be relevant to ianfaircloud's blog: I just remembered earlier today that Illinois-UC's online application had a bug in it that caused them to push their application deadline from the 10th of January to the 14th. This might have had some effect on their process and the projected date for initial notifications.

A piece of information that might be relevant to ianfaircloud's blog: I just remembered earlier today that Illinois-UC's online application had a bug in it that caused them to push their application deadline from the 10th of January to the 14th. This might have had some effect on their process and the projected date for initial notifications.

Thanks for this information!  Good to know.

Regarding Harvard, it's not out of the question that people could have received rejections via postal mail on Saturday, February 15.  Perhaps this person didn't specify the date of the receipt of the rejection letter.

Still, as I said in the 'rejection thread', I find it hard to believe that the Harvard rejection is legitimate.  I live a mile from Harvard.  Surely I'd be among the first to receive a rejection.

First 2014 rejection from NYU PhD program posted. 

I missed this, too.  This NYU rejection doesn't look legitimate.  We'd see quite a few more than this.  Many of us applied to NYU, and no one has posted about it.  So unless this person was rejected through a personal contact in the department, then it's almost certainly not legitimate.

I missed this, too.  This NYU rejection doesn't look legitimate.  We'd see quite a few more than this.  Many of us applied to NYU, and no one has posted about it.  So unless this person was rejected through a personal contact in the department, then it's almost certainly not legitimate.

Hey, maybe we're all getting into NYU. 

Harvard rejection by phone....

I can't imagine how roller-coasterey I would feel during that.

"Hello my name is Professor Importantguy and I'm DGS at Harvard University. I'm here to tell you about the status of your application. You're rejected. gg."

Harvard rejection by phone....

I can't imagine how roller-coasterey I would feel during that.

"Hello my name is Professor Importantguy and I'm DGS at Harvard University. I'm here to tell you about the status of your application. You're rejected. gg."

"You know that signed book I sent you? Yeah, The Metaphysics of Being and Nothingness... I'm going to need that back."

Does anyone have info on the other Midwest schools? I'm particularly interested in anything concerning Indiana, Purdue, or Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

I know that neither Purdue or Illinois-UC have sent me anything yet... and I wish they would...