Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

I'm seeing some Arizona rejections--one added in the detail that apparently everyone who has been accepted has been notified. But I haven't heard anything yet, positive or negative. Anybody else also in limbo? I'm guessing they maybe just haven't sent out all the rejections yet, though it seems sort of odd that they would send them in waves.

I'm seeing some Arizona rejections--one added in the detail that apparently everyone who has been accepted has been notified. But I haven't heard anything yet, positive or negative. Anybody else also in limbo? I'm guessing they maybe just haven't sent out all the rejections yet, though it seems sort of odd that they would send them in waves.

Never mind, I should have just looked in the other threads to see that, yes, many other people are in the same position. Sorry for clogging up the thread.

Well, some schools do send out rejections in waves (e.g., UNC).

"

Institution Program(Season) Decision & Date St1 Date Added Notes NYU Philosophy, PhD (F14) Other via Other on 18 Feb 2014 O 18 Feb 2014
  • Postings about NYU Philosophy offers were brought to our attention. These postings (or alleged offers) are false. We will not be making offers before the first week of March.

So, do we think that the previous NYU posts were fake, or do we think this new post is fake?

I was 99% sure the previous NYU offer-posts were fake. And I'm 100% sure this new post is genuine. It makes zero sense that NYU would suddenly start sending out offers a month earlier than they've done in all previous years. 

So, do we think that the previous NYU posts were fake, or do we think this new post is fake?

It's kind of a wild troll, so I would lean on the side of this post being real and previous two posts being fake... though the Sharon Street one was particularly convincing.

I think the new post is real and the previous posts are fake. There have been fake postings in past years, and NYU has posted comments like this in the past to discredit them. If you look at the graduate admissions FAQ page on the NYU website, the department is clearly aware of this website and that there is a history of fake posts. The department writes, "There are websites where applicants say what schools they've heard decisions from. Sometimes there are phony reports of NYU decisions on these sites. I don't know why." It wouldn't surprise me if they check TGC.

I was 99% sure the previous NYU offer-posts were fake. And I'm 100% sure this new post is genuine. It makes zero sense that NYU would suddenly start sending out offers a month earlier than they've done in all previous years. 

It's kind of a wild troll, so I would lean on the side of this post being real and previous two posts being fake... though the Sharon Street one was particularly convincing.

Well, my prediction may hold about NYU after all. Now I don't know whether to believe the post from today or the original posts. Should we ignore the results pages going forward, on the grounds that the results pages are unreliable?

I think the new post is real and the previous posts are fake. There have been fake postings in past years, and NYU has posted comments like this in the past to discredit them. If you look at the graduate admissions FAQ page on the NYU website, the department is clearly aware of this website and that there is a history of fake posts. The department writes, "There are websites where applicants say what schools they've heard decisions from. Sometimes there are phony reports of NYU decisions on these sites. I don't know why." It wouldn't surprise me if they check TGC.

Good info!  I didn't apply to NYU, so I haven't investigated their website especially closely.  They claim in their FAQ section that they don't release offers until March, so the earlier ones were almost certainly fake.  

Ian, this guy/girl is right ^. We can now place *more* trust in the results page, given that the false posts have been discredited. 

Well, my prediction may hold about NYU after all. Now I don't know whether to believe the post from today or the original posts. Should we ignore the results pages going forward, on the grounds that the results pages are unreliable?

Ian, this guy/girl is right ^. We can now place *more* trust in the results page, given that the false posts have been discredited. 

I think we can still trust the results page.  A couple fake posts shouldn't be used as grounds to discredit all the posts.  

I don't see that one has to ignore the results page, given that most of the time these reports are pretty accurate. The problem, so far as there is one, only arises for those programs that may send only a few confirmatory missives. From what I've read, the suspicion appears to be that the strongest programs might do this. What is more, it seems that anyone hoping to deceive tends to claim (though I may well be wrong here) to have received confirmation from only the most desirable programs. So, one only really needs to be a little wary of claims to have received something from those programs. Most of the time the results page has been accurate and, just as important, updated with a creditable speed.

I don't see that one has to ignore the results page, given that most of the time these reports are pretty accurate. ....

Thanks, and I agree. My 'ignore' comment was meant to be provocative. In my experience, the results pages have been very accurate. We've had doubts about quite a few posts, and we were able to confirm them independently at a later date. The NYU posts were really an exception. In fact, I recall a lot of suspicion at the time of the initial NYU posts.  http://faircloudblog.wordpress.com/2014/02/11/february-9-new-york-university/

Its sad that some people think that this of all places would be a good one to troll. I guess the point is to get applicants nervous that they didn't get in to a top school? Well they're out of luck because guess what, we all expect rejection to top schools anyway. Seeing that they gave out acceptances actually made us more at peace.

Random question: A year ago today, Notre Dame started sending out acceptances. Anyone have any guesses when they might send them out this year? I know they were two weeks late with their first wave of rejections but curiosity is getting the best of me.