Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

I feel really intimidated and in way over my head reading everyone's analytic writing samples. Everything I know about philosophy is Continental (or Logic) and my writing sample was on Nietzsche and Schopenhauer's respective approaches to Will in regards to it being a pluralistic or monistic force*

*yes, i realize that "force" is a careless choice of words but w/e i don't even care anymore

villanova, where art thou?

I feel really intimidated and in way over my head reading everyone's analytic writing samples. Everything I know about philosophy is Continental (or Logic) and my writing sample was on Nietzsche and Schopenhauer's respective approaches to Will in regards to it being a pluralistic or monistic force*

*yes, i realize that "force" is a careless choice of words but w/e i don't even care anymore

villanova, where art thou?

Coming from the guy who is specializing in Nietzsche and who wrote on Kant and Chinese Philosophy, I'm right there with you. What do you mean by pluralistic and monistic force?

idk I guess all you need to do is write about Hegel and you get a couple offers, which is what I did. which is weird, I figure Nietzsche is somewhat more mainstream (or at least accessible) in general than Hegel

@bar_scene_gambler

So, you know how Nietzsche's Will to Power draws from Schopenhauer's Will, but instead of being pessimistic and self-denying, it's triumphant and self-oriented? I say that this can be attributed to the fact that S's Will is this broad, un-individuated energy that forces empathy and identification with the whole. So it is unmotivated to work for the betterment of the self; it has no "warrior spirit." Whereas, N's WtP is pluralistic: Will to Power as an entity (so to speak) exists because it is made up of individual Wills to Power. So there is competition, struggle between those individual Wills, and that is the motivation for fending off despair. I also talk a little bit about the Dionysian, because you would think it contradicts the pluralistic Will, but really, it doesn't. 

I'd post it online, but I'm a little scared of the judgment of superior philosophers. 

Edited by pearclick

So, you know how Nietzsche's Will to Power draws from Schopenhauer's Will, but instead of being pessimistic and self-denying, it's triumphant and self-oriented? I say that this can be attributed to the fact that S's Will is this broad, un-individuated energy that forces empathy and identification with the whole. So it is unmotivated to work for the betterment of the self; it has no "warrior spirit." Whereas, N's WtP is pluralistic: Will to Power as an entity (so to speak) exists because it is made up of individual Wills to Power. So there is competition, struggle between those individual Wills, and that is the motivation for fending off despair. I also talk a little bit about the Dionysian, because you would think it contradicts the pluralistic Will, but really, it doesn't. 

I'd post it online, but I'm a little scared of the judgment of superior philosophers. 

Hey hey hey, never said I'd judge you. In all seriousness though, it sounds interesting.

You're lucky you didn't include the abstract: 

"Andy Clark and David Chalmers argue that the hypothesis of extended memory and belief (HEMB) provides more explanatory power then its denial;" 

Do you mean than its denial? 

Your writing sample would have contained an error in the first sentence. 

Wow, I'm a dumb. I didn't want to go to those conferences anyway.

No problem. I have a new theory. I think we're being rejected because these god damn analytics with their hygiene and conservative haircuts are taking all the spots. There's just no love for the finer things in life these days.

EDIT: Except for Dylanhelloglue (or however it's spelled). He's a nice analytic because he declined GSU's offer. I like him.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

I was told that the most important page of my writing sample was the first page, the most important paragraph was the first paragraph, and the most important sentence was the first sentence. =P

Crap, no one told me that. What does that mean? I think I better go check my paper...

If a school (such as Berkeley and Duke) has sent out the acceptances and wait lists, but one did not receive anything (acceptance, wait list, or rejection), could this mean that he or she be on the unannounced extended wait list? Or it means a rejection that is yet to be sent out? The uncertainty is killing me. 

If a school (such as Berkeley and Duke) has sent out the acceptances and wait lists, but one did not receive anything (acceptance, wait list, or rejection), could this mean that he or she be on the unannounced extended wait list? Or it means a rejection that is yet to be sent out? The uncertainty is killing me. 

Rejections are yet to be sent out. I wish it weren't so :'(

Rejections are yet to be sent out. I wish it weren't so :'(

Thanks, philosophe. Some schools are so slow in notifying applicants their decisions. it seems they do not bother to send out rejections until after April 15. That is disappointing.  :wacko:

By the way, you seem to choose Rochester over Iowa for PhD study. I am not sure about your justification of the choice. But best of luck. 

I got two words for you buddy: Hegel's. Logic.

mind-blown-2.gif

LOL! I remember buying Hegel's "Logic" when I was like 19 at a half price books. I didn't know anything about philosophy yet and I thought it was going to be a book about logic. I was wrong.

Thanks, philosophe. Some schools are so slow in notifying applicants their decisions. it seems they do not bother to send out rejections until after April 15. That is disappointing.  :wacko:

By the way, you seem to choose Rochester over Iowa for PhD study. I am not sure about your justification of the choice. But best of luck. 

Yeah, I wish they would just let us off the hook.  But i have a sad feeling that they will shortly.

Re: Rochester v. Iowa, Rochester has made the process super personal, I would be one of two incoming students, and they offered me a lot of money. Also, I have a tie to that department (a former professor of mine is now tenure track there) so I have a number of reasons to be leaning that way. I honestly haven't heard a lot about Iowa's rep -- though Richard Fumerton is supposed to be an excellent epistemologist, and they don't make it into the PGR top 50. They offered me an additional fellowship, but it only provides real money for 4 years, and the additional year is only about $9,000 (although they would give me the first and last year without any TA responsibilities), which seems unacceptably low to me. Do you know something about Iowa that I don't? I'm definitely up for more info. 

Edited by philosophe

I bet if you contacted those schools, they'd tell you what's up. But I could be wrong.